3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Trying to figure my fob out and how unlocking doors works.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
that sucks. if you were to unlock the doors and just pulled up the hatch without your fob in your pocket or hand, does it still do the same?
If I manually press the unlock hatch button on the fob it opens first try.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:06 PM

I took video of the issue. It seems like it's worse now. You can hear the car unlocking but it doesn't open, then it finally opens.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Pumpkintacos :

I had the same problem with my 2015 EX Fit. On mine I found the rubber gasket was not releasing the hatch enough for the striker to unlock fully. I raised the tailgate and wiped the gasket down good with Amorall to make it less sticky. Works perfect now. I know it sounds weird but you could give it a try. I now clean the gasket every few months.

Hope this helps

James

Old 11-25-2017, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by James Butler
Pumpkintacos :

I had the same problem with my 2015 EX Fit. On mine I found the rubber gasket was not releasing the hatch enough for the striker to unlock fully. I raised the tailgate and wiped the gasket down good with Amorall to make it less sticky. Works perfect now. I know it sounds weird but you could give it a try. I now clean the gasket every few months.

Hope this helps

James
I FIXED IT! Thanks to your idea! It wasn't the gasket (gasket is the black rubber ring around the trunk right?) that was causing the problem, but you telling me to look there made me discover that the latch had a lot of lubricant on it, so I thought hey maybe the lubricant is interfering with the signal? So I wiped off the excess lubricant and now it works. Wow. Now I don't have to go to the dealership. What an odd fix.

Too much lube!

Old 11-25-2017, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
That's really interesting.
Glad you figured it out. Because that is an avenue I would of never even suspected.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
That's really interesting.
Glad you figured it out. Because that is an avenue I would of never even suspected.
99% sure if I took it to the dealership they wouldn't be able to find the issue and they'd take the whole car apart lol even my SO told me not to bother wiping it off when I showed him.

Old 11-25-2017, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for posting the solution to this puzzling problem. If this happens to my son's Fit I'll know what to do. If I don't forget by then.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
huh, interesting find pumpkintacos! and good work!

Old 12-08-2017, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
You know it's strange.
But shortly after I read this thread, my Fit started to do the exact same thing. It never had before.
At first I thought it was my imagination...but no. I was getting the similar unlock signal but the delay and catch.

And I do NOT have a glob of lubricant on my hatch lock.
The problem also seemed to be manifesting with the driver's door, simply not responding as fast as it use to do.

I changed the fob battery?
And it seems to of fixed the problem.

Nothing much more to add...but for me? It seemed replacing the Fob Battery did the trick.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:54 PM
You know it's strange.
But shortly after I read this thread, my Fit started to do the exact same thing. It never had before.
At first I thought it was my imagination...but no. I was getting the similar unlock signal but the delay and catch.

And I do NOT have a glob of lubricant on my hatch lock.
The problem also seemed to be manifesting with the driver's door, simply not responding as fast as it use to do.

I changed the fob battery?
And it seems to of fixed the problem.

Nothing much more to add...but for me? It seemed replacing the Fob Battery did the trick.
HA Well that's interesting. What year is your car? Good to know that the battery is a possible solution if that happens to me.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
2016 Honda Fit EX....
And the Fob Battery was just over a about a year and a couple months old. From the time I started using it as the owner.
Seemed a bit premature for the battery to be a problem, but who knows?

I'll let ya know if the problem returns for me.
You let me know if the problem returns for you.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:09 AM
Doors are working fine but encountered a different little hiccup.

I got a Siriusxm trial thats been working fine but today I go to Dunkin Donuts and turn the radio down all the way, I pull into the gas station in front of it and turn the volume back up, no sound. Changed stations, no sound. Turned the car off and on, still no Sirius sound. The actual am/fm radio had sound! When I pulled out of the gas station Sirius worked again. Was the signal blocked? It's a satellite so I'm surprised.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Signal issue, most likely from large overhang of gas station. Will also happen if you drive through a tunnel.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Lane03
Signal issue, most likely from large overhang of gas station. Will also happen if you drive through a tunnel.
Never thought that regular radio could get better reception than satellite. I thought that was the whole point of satellite radio.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe just the opposite.
I have a Garmin GPS...which is a satellite based system.
If I enter a covered parking garage, tunnel or even drive through a forested area with a lot of trees creating a canopy, I will inevitably get the "Lost Satellite Reception" message.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
Never thought that regular radio could get better reception than satellite. I thought that was the whole point of satellite radio.
Satellite is better in the sense that it will work anywhere whereas you can't pick up your local FM station when you're in another state. However, satellite is above the Earth so your car is getting the signal from straight up, versus AM/FM which is broadcasting from Earth and the signal is sent more outwards than straight down.

Last edited by Lane03; 12-09-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:08 AM
Well jeeze out of seemingly nowhere my hatch is doing it again. Making an unlock sound but catching and not opening until multiple tries. I don't know why it seemed fix when I wiped the lubricant off that one time. It was acting perfect until recently. I looked and see no excess lube, wiped it anyway but still does it. Man I was hoping to avoid going to the dealership.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
You may still have some lube in the latch causing this. Try spraying some thin lube like WD40 on it and see if it loosens it up some. and try silicon on the black gasket that goes around hatch.

Let us know.

James

Old 12-16-2017, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
Well jeeze out of seemingly nowhere my hatch is doing it again. Making an unlock sound but catching and not opening until multiple tries. I don't know why it seemed fix when I wiped the lubricant off that one time. It was acting perfect until recently. I looked and see no excess lube, wiped it anyway but still does it. Man I was hoping to avoid going to the dealership.
Trying changing your fob battery. It's about a $4.95 investment.
Since your vehicle is new, it really shouldn't be the fob battery, but I'd still give it a shot. Nothing but a few bucks to lose. Worst case scenario you have a brand new battery. Your vehicle is so new, maybe the battery would be replaced for free? But if you want to avoid a trip to the dealership, I might try replacing it yourself first.
It's not too difficult to do. Although I did consult youtube where there are a few videos of people showing exactly how to change out your battery. It's pretty easy to open the case, a little tricky to remove the battery from the tabs holding it. You want to take it easy, and not force anything. My owners manual is pretty devoid of details, I would recommend watching a few of the videos of people changing their batteries out on youtube.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:06 AM
Trying changing your fob battery. It's about a $4.95 investment.
Since your vehicle is new, it really shouldn't be the fob battery, but I'd still give it a shot. Nothing but a few bucks to lose. Worst case scenario you have a brand new battery. Your vehicle is so new, maybe the battery would be replaced for free? But if you want to avoid a trip to the dealership, I might try replacing it yourself first.
It's not too difficult to do. Although I did consult youtube where there are a few videos of people showing exactly how to change out your battery. It's pretty easy to open the case, a little tricky to remove the battery from the tabs holding it. You want to take it easy, and not force anything. My owners manual is pretty devoid of details, I would recommend watching a few of the videos of people changing their batteries out on youtube.
I can't imagine it being the battery when this happens with both fobs I have and the hatch is the only door doing it. Also when I manually press the unlock hatch button on the fob it opens correctly each time.

Quick Reply: Trying to figure my fob out and how unlocking doors works.