3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Trying to figure my fob out and how unlocking doors works.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by James Butler
You may still have some lube in the latch causing this. Try spraying some thin lube like WD40 on it and see if it loosens it up some. and try silicon on the black gasket that goes around hatch.

Let us know.

James
I'll try it.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
I can't imagine it being the battery when this happens with both fobs I have and the hatch is the only door doing it. Also when I manually press the unlock hatch button on the fob it opens correctly each time.
It might not be. ( The batteries I mean)
But in the post's just above?
Like I said, I started to have similar symptoms, and I didn't think it was my battery either, my vehicle is barely a year 1/2 old. But for the cost of a Starbucks Mocha,- I could try a new battery. Nothing much to lose. And then at least you know at least one of your fobs has a brand new battery. And once you replace the battery once...you also know how to replace it in the future.

I'm becoming more and more convinced the delay is connected to signal strength. And that signal strength can be affected by surrounding interference or a fading battery.

It's up to you. I did try it with mine. And so far? It seems to of worked.

You can try both. I'd be curious if adding/removing/changing the lubricant on your hatch lock makes a difference again.

If my hatch lock starts catching again...I'm going to try lubricant.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:37 PM
I ended up going to the dealership to ask about it. He said I'm not the first person to be confused with this. He opened the hatch perfect every time. There's a definite technique to it. You have to press the unlock button, let go of it, and lift up with something other than the button. I was holding the unlock button as I lifted up because that makes sense to me. He said it won't unlock when you're holding the button. There's 2 unlock stages and I wasn't getting past the first one.

What I don't understand is how I opened it perfectly for weeks then all the sudden couldn't. Like why I'd do it wrong all the time when I was doing it fine before. Also confused because I've been playing around with it and the hatch DOES open sometimes when you're HOLDING the unlock button. Why?

Anyways wow. At least I'm not the first person to be confused. I'll have to be absolutely sure each time that I use the correct technique.

I'll be forever confused how I opened it flawlessly for weeks though without fail after I wiped the lube off lol

Old 12-16-2017, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm..

Well...at least I have new fob battery!

EDIT: Be careful, as I remember reading at least one thread where someone complained about having to replace the plastic chrome trim piece on the hatch. It's NOT particularly strong or durable.
In fact, I've made it a point TO close it while holding the handle, because I don't want to put stress on that plastic piece. If it cracks it's an expensive replacement.

I'll experiment with trying to make it fail. Maybe the times it has happened I was doing it without knowing. But it seems strange.
There IS a separate lock button. Why would honda design an UNLOCK handle, that simply "doesn't unlock" when you press it?

Last edited by fitchet; 12-18-2017 at 08:53 AM.