3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Trying to figure my fob out and how unlocking doors works.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Trying to figure my fob out and how unlocking doors works.

Trying to figure this keyless entry fob out. Can someone tell me if this is normal?

Okay say my car is locked and I want to open the tailgate, with my fob in my pocket I attempt to open the hatch...I hear a beep. I try to open it a second time. No beep and won't open. Third try no beep and it opens. It always takes 3 tries to open the hatch.

Now for the rest of the doors, try to open...beep..try again and it opens. Always opens on 2nd try.

So why is the hatch 3 times and the rest of the doors 2?

Old 11-23-2017, 08:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hummm. not sure but are you pulling the handle too soon? try it by giving the car like a second to verify the fob ID before you pull the handle.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
hummm. not sure but are you pulling the handle too soon? try it by giving the car like a second to verify the fob ID before you pull the handle.
Could be. I'll try later and report back.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Okay I checked. I am NOT pulling the handle too soon. 2nd attempt at opening doesn't open, only 3rd try does no matter how long I wait.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Are you accidentally pulling the lock button as well? The hatch has an unlock and a lock button right next to each other. The larger is the hatch release/unlock. The smaller round button is the lock.

For the fronts, just touch the inside of the handle until it unlocks. Brush it with your fingers. Pull after the beep.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by sneefy
Are you accidentally pulling the lock button as well? The hatch has an unlock and a lock button right next to each other. The larger is the hatch release/unlock. The smaller round button is the lock.

For the fronts, just touch the inside of the handle until it unlocks. Brush it with your fingers. Pull after the beep.
Huh? Under the handle is 2 DIFFERENT buttons?

Old 11-24-2017, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
Huh? Under the handle is 2 DIFFERENT buttons?
On my 2017 there are two. So you can lock the car from the hatch area just like the buttons on the front door handles.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by sneefy
On my 2017 there are two. So you can lock the car from the hatch area just like the buttons on the front door handles.
I had no idea. So they are under the handle hidden from the naked eye? Which one is unlock?

Old 11-24-2017, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
You can feel them molded into the rubber. The larger rectangular one on the left is the release/unlock, the smaller round one on the right is the lock.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, there are two buttons. And it's a good thing. The hatch itself, and a smaller button, feels like it's off to the side that allows you to lock the vehicle.
It's nice because you can take things out of the hatch, close it, lock it and walk away.
You should be able to feel it.
I've never bothered looking, but the hatch is the bigger portion-smooth. The lock button on my 2016, standing facing the hatch is on the right side, and feels smaller, round. I'll actually take a look next time.

If you are not accidentally hitting the lock button, then something is wrong.
Also I notice you ask..."Why is the hatch 3 times and the rest of the doors 2?".

I hate to tell you, but on mine...the driver and front passenger door open on the first touch...beep and open.

This is a situation the dealership should be able to help you with. They should of done a walk around and demonstrated some of these things.

The whole idea of a keyless entry, or smart key system is to make it easier.

When I got my Honda there was a abridged owners guide, that covered some of the big things.
Then it came with a CD with a down loadable version of the entire owners manual.
I don't know if Honda has changed that in 2 model years. But if you can? Downloading that owners manual might be very helpful.
There's a whole section on programmable features, and how to unlock doors.

Bottom line, if for some reason you can't open your hatch except in 3 tries, there is something wrong.
If you are NOT far away from any Honda Dealership, I'd just swing by. Any person there that is at all familiar with the vehicles, SHOULD be able to either show you what you are doing wrong, or determine something isn't right.

Last edited by fitchet; 11-24-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Yep, there are two buttons. And it's a good thing. The hatch itself, and a smaller button, feels like it's off to the side that allows you to lock the vehicle.
It's nice because you can take things out of the hatch, close it, lock it and walk away.
You should be able to feel it.
I've never bothered looking, but the hatch is the bigger portion-smooth. The lock button on my 2016, standing facing the hatch is on the right side, and feels smaller, round. I'll actually take a look next time.

If you are not accidentally hitting the lock button, then something is wrong.
Also I notice you ask..."Why is the hatch 3 times and the rest of the doors 2?".

I hate to tell you, but on mine...the driver and front passenger door open on the first touch...beep and open.

This is a situation the dealership should be able to help you with. They should of done a walk around and demonstrated some of these things.

The whole idea of a keyless entry, or smart key system is to make it easier.

When I got my Honda there was a abridged owners guide, that covered some of the big things.
Then it came with a CD with a down loadable version of the entire owners manual.
I don't know if Honda has changed that in 2 model years. But if you can? Downloading that owners manual might be very helpful.
There's a whole section on programmable features, and how to unlock doors.

Bottom line, if for some reason you can't open your hatch except in 3 tries, there is something wrong.
If you are NOT far away from any Honda Dealership, I'd just swing by. Any person there that is at all familiar with the vehicles, SHOULD be able to either show you what you are doing wrong, or determine something isn't right.
I think I'm just not used to it yet so I'm trying to open the driver door before hearing a beep, thus me thinking it opens on the second try. As for the hatch I'll get to test it later since I'm at work. I'll report back.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:24 PM
Okay you're right about the driver door opening right away but I still can't figure out the hatch. I press the button on the handle, beep, I go to lift and it feels like it catches on something, lift again and it opens. Can't figure it out.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
Okay you're right about the driver door opening right away but I still can't figure out the hatch. I press the button on the handle, beep, I go to lift and it feels like it catches on something, lift again and it opens. Can't figure it out.
Maybe just wait a split second after you hear the beep?
Like listen for the beep...wait 1 second...open?

Old 11-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Maybe just wait a split second after you hear the beep?
Like listen for the beep...wait 1 second...open?
I do, and that's when it feels like it catches. Then I press again and I hear an actual unlock and it opens. Not sure what's going on. If I press the unlock hatch button on my fob it opens with no problem.

So press, beep, try to open...feels like it catches on something...let go, press again, unlock noise and it opens.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Huh.
Well, I'm at a loss.
It shouldn't be catching. You shouldn't have to press and attempt it twice.

If it continues this way...could be a warranty issue. But that's the good news about having a new vehicle...you have a warranty to cover things like this.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:11 PM
It feels like it opens a tiny bit but it doesn't wanna, then I let go and attempt to open again and it suddenly unlocks and opens. I feel like I have to be doing something wrong lol how hard is it to open a door.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:27 PM
Looks like I'll be going to the dealership over this Oh no. I've only had the thing since Monday lol

Old 11-24-2017, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Did you try the other key to see if it has the same problem?

Old 11-25-2017, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by woof
Did you try the other key to see if it has the same problem?
Yes it's the same with both.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:45 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that sucks. if you were to unlock the doors and just pulled up the hatch without your fob in your pocket or hand, does it still do the same?

Quick Reply: Trying to figure my fob out and how unlocking doors works.