3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 or 2016 GPS System Unit Bios or Map Updates

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
2015 or 2016 GPS System Unit Bios or Map Updates

Has anyone with a GPS system on their 2015 or 2016 FIT updated the unit BIOS by the dealer yet under the warranty?

And has anyone with a GPS system on their 2015 or 2016 FIT updated the MAPS yet?

The 2018 Version of the MAP updates were just published by Honda($150.00) and before I invest in this, I would like input on how the MAP update went for anyone that has attempted it?

FIT Map Updates are done via a USB drive input, no longer DVD.

Thanks for taking the time.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
Any reason you'd want to pay $150 to pay for maps that may already be outdated, versus using Waze or Google Maps?

I know in the DC Metro area, the roads are constantly changing because of construction. Waze is consistently up to date versus my backup Garmin with free updates.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
For $150 per year to update, I rather to waste $150 on Garmin and get free updates 4 times per year.

I often use WAZE but in the mountains some spots, you need a GPS.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Any reason you'd want to pay $150 to pay for maps that may already be outdated, versus using Waze or Google Maps?
So you can use your navigation outside of mobile phone coverage areas. Or because the Waze maps are of such abysmal quality. Those are the first two reasons that come to mind.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
I hear you about the mountains, hence my comment about backup Garmin. I ran into the same problems visiting my Grandmother in upstate NY.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Buck Fitty
So you can use your navigation outside of mobile phone coverage areas. Or because the Waze maps are of such abysmal quality. Those are the first two reasons that come to mind.
How are Waze maps abysmal? As long as I can find the road, I don't need any high def or satellite images. I use it pretty much daily.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
I was hoping for folks to reply with important information regarding their experience with the FIT GPS system as I asked above and not a debate.

But since some raised the issue of Honda GPS vs. Waze on the phone:
I suspect that those writers have never experienced the Honda GPS.

Honda GPS that is in the 2015+ FITS and the same/similar units in their other cars as well as Acura are the best GPS devices in the industry.
The FIT is equipped with multiple directional antennas, touch screen, traffic analysis and avoidance, pure Satellite directional (no cell tower/data required), and pinpoint accuracy. You will not find an easier to use and more accurate/reliable unit on any car including all the luxury models like Audi, Mercedes, and BMW.

There is no comparison from an OEM Car GPS to a cell phone.

I have used Google and Waze for navigation before and have driven with many a Uber & Lyft driver that uses them exclusively and they lose communication, misroute, are slow to update, and generally unreliable.

I am a big cyclist and go far and sometimes use my phone google maps navigation to find my way or reroute, and it loses communication with the cell tower but does have better and better cycling maps.

I would not want to take a trip just relying on a phone. On my last trip to Tucson I had zero cell communication for 1.5 hours going across the Indian Reservations--phone did not work at all.

Now I also have a Garmin for a many years--it's a great unit, but where I live you cannot leave it out due to theft, so I only use it for travel in the rental.

My suggestion is that when you buy your next FIT or other Honda, if your budget allows--the Honda GPS unit is a tremendous value along with their Satellite radio service via XM-- I can't do without that either.

Last edited by FITEsq; 12-07-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:20 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITEsq
Honda GPS that is in the 2015+ FITS and the same/similar units in their other cars as well as Acura are the best GPS devices in the industry.
are they now.. wow

i dont use my factory car navs as navs but good to have it when i need it to find alternate routes.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
are they now.. wow

i dont use my factory car navs as navs but good to have it when i need it to find alternate routes.
Kenchan: Honda GPS is very good. I use it all the time past 2.5 years. I could not have purchased a FIT if it did not offer it.

I have used Mercedes, Lexis and Audi GPS in other borrowed cars past few years--Honda is far easier to program, better maps, more user friendly. Always glad to get back in my FIT.

Maps can get outdated though.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:07 PM
I actually have a response to your question, rather than a debate, lol. I made the dealership give me the 2017 map update when it came out 1 week prior to picking up my car (already purchased the car). It does come on a USB and the update process was simple and painless. Basically plug it, touch a couple of buttons and wait.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kithkarnon
I actually have a response to your question, rather than a debate, lol. I made the dealership give me the 2017 map update when it came out 1 week prior to picking up my car (already purchased the car). It does come on a USB and the update process was simple and painless. Basically plug it, touch a couple of buttons and wait.
Thanks for this information.

Wish I could find a way to make the dealership give me an update free.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
those usb flash drive are not universal? people arent allowed to sell them or? does it become copyright infringement? not sure.

maps should be free this day and age for cars that come with nav. its not like the maps are all that great to begin with.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
those usb flash drive are not universal? people arent allowed to sell them or? does it become copyright infringement? not sure.

maps should be free this day and age for cars that come with nav. its not like the maps are all that great to begin with.
It actually costs many millions of dollars each year for Garmin, Google, etc. to keep their maps up to date. Google absorbs it with advertising revenue, the others have to charge. It takes dozens of software engineers to adapt the maps for all platforms. Most car manufacturers outsource it to one or two companies that update the maps annually digitally and sell the updates to consumers through Honda, Toyota, etc. They have to charge--just wish they did not charge so much.

In the future--you may get free map updates on a connected Manuf. GPS but it will have pop up ads unless you want to pay to remove them.

Not sure if another person can use the same Honda updates? May be one time use--it comes on a USB stick for FIT 2015+. You have to send them your GPS unit codes and VIN in order for them to build the right one for you.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITEsq
In the future--you may get free map updates on a connected Manuf. GPS but it will have pop up ads unless you want to pay to remove them.
sounds fair to me. most people dont even use factory nav these days.. only those in super rural areas that dont get mobile coverage. they can pay for the damn updates if they wish not to see pop ups. rest of us will just use our mobile devices aka carplay/android auto. carplay is 100% ad-free and get real time traffic and detour info. i dont see the need for factory nav even though 3 of my cars have it.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:48 AM
sounds fair to me. most people dont even use factory nav these days.. only those in super rural areas that dont get mobile coverage. they can pay for the damn updates if they wish not to see pop ups. rest of us will just use our mobile devices aka carplay/android auto. carplay is 100% ad-free and get real time traffic and detour info. i dont see the need for factory nav even though 3 of my cars have it.
I would have skipped the factory NAV myself (mind when travelling to the USA it is handy not needing anything else). But up here in Canada if you want the EX-L, you get the EX-L Navi.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Honda should pony up a little money to give owners free updates for somewhere between 3-5 years in my opinion. I’m basing this on the cost of the option, and pretty much all maps have advertisements at this point.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Free Honda FIT GPS NAV update.

Since I recently paid $175.00 for the 2018 Honda Maps update USB for my 2015 FIT, anyone else in the Los Angeles area that wants to come over and update their GPS Navigation Maps let me know.

Works on 2015, 2016, 2017 Honda FIT it says.

Last edited by FITEsq; 04-15-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
I guess I’ll never know how good Honda’s GPS is, since it only comes with leather upholstery and the CVT transmission. Both are deal breakers to me.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
I rather to have Garmin GPS because I can use it in our 3 cars. If I am traveling and rent cars, I can use my Garmin GPS. Honda GPS stay with Honda which I cannot take with me.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:16 PM
apple/android auto seems to work very well for me with either.