3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Seriously considering 2018 sport, question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Seriously considering 2018 sport, question!

Hello,

Long time lurker here and I’m seriously considering taking the plunge and getting a 2018 Sport manual. I’ve followed the fit only since this current generation and know generally about all the immediate issues from the celaya plant.

This is the 4th model year so I believe most of the issues are all ironed out. The only thing that concerns me as I see on the road daily are the majority of the fits from this generation have the separating/sagging bumper issue. I always look at the front fender/bumper area where the two meet and 9/10 fits I see have at least moderate separation here. Do any of you think honda has addressed this 4 years down the road or do you think they’re still using the same shotty clips to hold the bumper on?

I’ve checked 2018s at some dealerships here in the bay area and online photos and they appear for now to be pieced together well, initially.

I also know that the fit has a low ground clearance so it is possible that a lot of the people driving fits run them up to and over the cement parking blocks in parking spaces and that alone could initiate separation as well. But for the majority of people to have this issue when I drive by their fits and look suggest not everyone is a crappy parker...or are they!? Haha

I’ve always liked the fit. Its size, feeling of being big inside...the whole concept of the car. I’m more of a point to point driver and although my current car has all these safety warnings, honestly the only thing I think is really beneficial to me is a back up camera. All the other stuff is kind of annoying as it’s constantly beeping and buzzing, especially when I actually use my senses regularly while driving. That is why I’m opting for the sport. I’m a minimalist at heart and feel this car fits in perfectly for me.

So what do you think, has honda changed their approach to connecting the bumper by now?

Any thoughts from you are greatly appreciated about the topic or anything else about your experience with your 3rd gen fit. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2018, 07:18 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i thought there was a member who figured out how to fix the sagging bumper if you encounter it in the future. my GK has the sagging bumper and fit and finish overall his pretty bad. ima DIY kinda guy but too lazy to fix cause it's not just the bumper that has fitment issues. it's all over the car if you take a close look. i learned to accept it.

sport in MT is a good choice i think, if you're still old school and dont mind not having keyless entry and push-button start. all my cars have the feature and when i travel and get a rental without it, it is a hassle! cant imagine dealing with it on a daily basis in year 2018.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
I do not recall seeing any post about a sagging bumper with any 2018 and I have not seen a problem with mine. There was some front end redesign with the 2018 and I would assume they would have cleaned up that issue then if it still existed.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Even though I bought a Honda Fit EX, because there were a few things I wanted, most notably a moon/sun roof. I think I agree with you about being minimalist, especially with a Honda Fit.
I think as a vehicle they are much better values, in the more basic, spartan trims. Honda really increases the price as you climb the "niceties" ladder. And a lot of those bells and whistles, while nice, can easily be lived without.

I think if I had to do it over again? I might suppress my desire for a sunroof, and of just purchased the LX model. Sometimes less is more.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:51 PM
I had a 2015 EX for almost 4 years until recently trading it in on an '18 sport. My 2015 never had any bumper issues but I dont run my cars into curbs or other objects. Maybe they just fail because a lot of people flat out abuse their cars?

I love the 2018 sport so far, It's a lot better car than my old '15. I don't mind the fact that I have to use a key now even though my '15 was a button car(which did fail to work a few times).. you'll get used to either key or button over time.. you still have to use your fob for passengers anyway unless you make them wait in the rain until you can get your door open and hit the unlock button.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thegoldstandard
I had a 2015 EX for almost 4 years until recently trading it in on an '18 sport. My 2015 never had any bumper issues but I dont run my cars into curbs or other objects. Maybe they just fail because a lot of people flat out abuse their cars?

I love the 2018 sport so far, It's a lot better car than my old '15. I don't mind the fact that I have to use a key now even though my '15 was a button car(which did fail to work a few times).. you'll get used to either key or button over time.. you still have to use your fob for passengers anyway unless you make them wait in the rain until you can get your door open and hit the unlock button.
How is it a lot better than your '15?

Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Gekisen
Well, its smoother running, the chassis feels tighter and more responsive. the interior is noticeably quieter.the fuel injection is smoother, less studder. Fit and finish is much better, I noticed on the 15 that some of the interior and exterior trim didn't fit very well.. the radio is much improved. It's just an overall more refined smoother driving car. I might be crazy but it feels more peppy too. Both are 6mt.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
I can tell you mine was missing a pad that sits between the plastic bumper and the metal bumper underneath. The newer cars have a styrofoam pad that they must have added later on to fix the problem. My car built 12/2014 did not have it.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Gekisen
You asked what I was thinking. Do you have a third gen fit? What do you like/dislike about it?

I have gotten some reallly great prices on the manual sports. 2k off. I’m really close to pulling trigger on white, orange or blue.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Well, its smoother running, the chassis feels tighter and more responsive. the interior is noticeably quieter.the fuel injection is smoother, less studder. Fit and finish is much better, I noticed on the 15 that some of the interior and exterior trim didn't fit very well.. the radio is much improved. It's just an overall more refined smoother driving car. I might be crazy but it feels more peppy too. Both are 6mt.
Damn. My '15 has this annoying rattle I sometimes hear coming from the passenger side door.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:52 PM
How do you like the transmission, clutch and shifter? Ever have any issues with them during daily driving? Gear lockouts? Grinding when shifting normal?

Old 04-16-2018, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
My 18 clutch, shifter feels like typical Honda - which is excellent. Very easy to drive. I have a ~25mi city commute each day, no probs.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by GettingFitted

How do you like the transmission, clutch and shifter? Ever have any issues with them during daily driving? Gear lockouts? Grinding when shifting normal?
Actually, the shifter in the '18 feels a little notchier/tighter than the '15. I am not sure if its just not broke in yet or if its actually different. I kinda liked the shifter feel of the '15 better.

No grinding or lockout issues. I also never had a money shift issue with either car.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GettingFitted

So what do you think, has honda changed their approach to connecting the bumper by now?

I also know that the fit has a low ground clearance so it is possible that...

Any thoughts from you are greatly appreciated about the topic or anything else about your experience with your 3rd gen fit. Thanks!
I checked out the bumper on a black 2018 sport on the front lawn at one of my local dealers .... just as saggy as my former 2015 6mt and my recently acquired 2016 EX-L.

I always felt it's too low to the ground with the stock tires. 195/65 R15 solves your problems.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
I checked out the bumper on a black 2018 sport on the front lawn at one of my local dealers .... just as saggy as my former 2015 6mt and my recently acquired 2016 EX-L.

I always felt it's too low to the ground with the stock tires. 195/65 R15 solves your problems.
Not nearly as bad as my '09 Fit Sport. That car had a terrible amount of front overhang combined with a low front "ground effect" spoiler. Honda even warned you about this in the owner's manual. I was always hitting the nose of the '09 on the ground pulling into or out of driveways. There were literally places I couldn't go with the car, as the entry was too steep to pull into without grounding the front end. My '15 EX has never struck the ground.