3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2016 Fit Battery Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jazu
Has anyone noticed any issued with using the larger 51R battery (that fills in the wider air gap between the ECM heat sink and the battery) from a battery life or ECM issue?
Just make sure when you tighten/anchor the battery onto the tray, don't move the battery as fall away from the EMC heat sink as you possible can. There will be a gap in between the battery and the ECM heatsink. I have not had any issue since replacing the 151R with the 51R battery.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
Thanks, woof. It's raining in California today, but I might do the battery replacement this week. Gonna cut the plastic tray with a hack saw (just cause I'm too lazy to buy the correct tool for the job). We have Costco here, but I'm not a member. Finding a battery isn't as easy as it used to be.
If you haven't replaced it yet, the 51R is a lot easier to find. You can get them from Walmart, AutoZone, O'Reilly, Costco, dealers, and others But the 151R, you have to do a lookup if you aren't getting it from the dealers. The cheapest would be from Costco for the Interstate Batteries 51R, and they don't carry the 151R, I recall seeing it for $100 with core exchange a couple weeks back.

If you haven't swapped out the battery yet and live in the San Gabriel area, I can help out as I visit Costco often enough.
1) Bring the core
2) Bring cash
3) Meet me at the parking lot

Or if you have other friends who have Costco membership, just ask one of them to help you get a Costco giftcard and you should be able to pick up the 51R battery without membership.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
[QUOTE=woof;1464958]Yeah I had heard that there was a larger tray out there and I kind of suspected it was for the Japan market. I wonder though which battery the Japanese actually got in their cars to go with those trays.

Incidentally, watch the first minute of this Scotty Kilmer video where he talks about OEM batteries and tires, specifically mentioning Toyota and Honda:/QUOTE]

What Scotty didn't say is that the smaller 151R battery costs more than the 51R battery if you do retail purchase for it. Not only that, the 51R is more widely available while you need to make an effort to find the 151R battery, if you aren't getting it directly from the dealer.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
I believe the 51R is used on Honda Civics and CR-V (and a lot of other vehicles) for which there are a lot of vehicles on the road creating high demand for this battery, availability everywhere and low prices.

The 151R is used on the Fit and ........... luxury golf carts? With the Fit being discontinued it is going to become increasingly difficult and more expensive to find the 151R.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fibrepunk
If you haven't replaced it yet, the 51R is a lot easier to find. You can get them from Walmart, AutoZone, O'Reilly, Costco, dealers, and others But the 151R, you have to do a lookup if you aren't getting it from the dealers. The cheapest would be from Costco for the Interstate Batteries 51R, and they don't carry the 151R, I recall seeing it for $100 with core exchange a couple weeks back.

If you haven't swapped out the battery yet and live in the San Gabriel area, I can help out as I visit Costco often enough.
1) Bring the core
2) Bring cash
3) Meet me at the parking lot

Or if you have other friends who have Costco membership, just ask one of them to help you get a Costco giftcard and you should be able to pick up the 51R battery without membership.
Thanks, Punk. I haven't done anything yet. Just too busy. My online searches on Peps Boys and O'Reilly's were not productive, but I can go into a store and ask. Also, Batteries Plus has a Durcell, if I recall (but I haven't enjoyed dealing with the Batteries Plus near me).

Old 11-16-2021, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fibrepunk
Just make sure when you tighten/anchor the battery onto the tray, don't move the battery as fall away from the EMC heat sink as you possible can. There will be a gap in between the battery and the ECM heatsink. I have not had any issue since replacing the 151R with the 51R battery.

Clarify, please.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
I would also recommend going with the 51R over 151R, I did this several years back and really seems to help with reserve capacity as all my battery woes were fixed going with a 51R AGM battery. We don't drive the Fit often, and even less often with COVID, the 151R would often drain enough that it couldn't start the car however the 51R's have been much more stabile and reliable

I'm thinking fibrepunk meant shift it over as far away from the ECU/heatsync as possible but not positive. I just made sure I had a bit of an airgap all the way around the battery and it's been fine for several years. I anticipate you could probably have the battery right up next to the heatsync and not cause any issues given no metal to metal contact, but better to play it safe with electronics IMO.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:29 PM
I was talking to a buddy that works in Engineering at Ford/Dearborn and her first reaction was that Honda likely went with the 151R for weight savings to meet the gas mileage standards. All manufacturers practice weight savings techniques on every part they can to reduce overall weight which improves gas mileage.

Old 12-24-2021, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
I was talking to a buddy that works in Engineering at Ford/Dearborn and her first reaction was that Honda likely went with the 151R for weight savings to meet the gas mileage standards. All manufacturers practice weight savings techniques on every part they can to reduce overall weight which improves gas mileage.
Exactly! (I had to add more characters)

Old 12-24-2021, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Weight savings yes, but also cost savings since a smaller 151R has less lead in it and is cheaper to manufacture and transport than a 51R.

Old 12-26-2021, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds reasonable. But, if true, it's a shortsighted strategy on Honda's part. If a solution to one problem creates another problem, then you're earning a C- in Engineering 101.

It has also been suggested that the smaller battery was appropriate for smaller Fit engines marketed in various markets.

Old 12-26-2021, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
Sounds reasonable. But, if true, it's a shortsighted strategy on Honda's part. If a solution to one problem creates another problem,......
The small 151R battery is perfectly adequate for the Fit and will provide many years of reliable service ....... I don't understand what this "creates another problem" is that you're talking about. All car manufacturers minimize their batteries in pretty much all vehicles to reduce weight and cost. In larger vehicles with larger batteries to begin with this just isn't so noticeable.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by woof
The small 151R battery is perfectly adequate for the Fit and will provide many years of reliable service ....... I don't understand what this "creates another problem" is that you're talking about. All car manufacturers minimize their batteries in pretty much all vehicles to reduce weight and cost. In larger vehicles with larger batteries to begin with this just isn't so noticeable.
i concur
​​​​​​​

Old 12-27-2021, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Agreed. Just have to define the word "adequate." If it is true that the OEM battery "will provide many years of reliable service," then there's not a problem, and the reports of unreliable service or inadequate battery performance are exaggerated. I live in SoCal, and I noticed yesterday that my OEM battery struggled to turn over the engine in 64 degree ambient air temperature. Am I due for a third battery in five years? We'll have to see.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
I'm on battery number 3...3.5 years each for the first two. Pretty good.