3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why no 1.5ltr Turbo Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nobdy
I find its appearance busy and disjointed, lacking the coherent grace of the Mazda equivalent. I may be a bit conservative in this respect; I opted for a regular Golf rather than a GTI for several reasons, one of which was aesthetic.

I have little doubt that the Civic is mechanically brilliant.
harsh! haha

Old 01-08-2018, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Why won't Honda put the Civic's 1.5ltr turbo into the Honda Fit?
I would love to have the option for a 1.5 turbo in my '18 FIT. However, only if they could do all of the below:
1) still get 33 mpg combined
2) keep the weight down to the same 2650 lbs
3) charge no more than a $1500 premium above a nonturbo model
4) keep the insurance premiums down to a nonturbo level

Our family has a VW GTi and a BMW 335i (both turbos). Honestly, I enjoy driving my '18 FIT just as much even without the turbo knowing I am getting great mileage in a very light car while not paying super high insurance premiums or changing the oil every 3k miles. Can't say that for my other two turbo cars. While I agree it would be nice to have the option of a turbo FIT, most people like myself might still not buy it due to higher overall lifetime cost of ownership / maintenance. Still loving the '18 FIT like it is.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
The turbo 1.5 would sell more Fits because the worst thing about the Fit is gearing that's fine for a city car, but isn't as well suited to highway drivers. The extra torque of a turbo would permit more conventional gearing and better efficiency.

The Civic hatch is so aggressively ugly you might think it is being marketed to the blind. Moreover, it isn't a real hatch but more a fastback sedan.

There is a small-ish market for hatches as the Mini, Mazda3, Kia Niro and VW Golf show, but you need a hatch if you are going to compete in it.
The 3 is also a fastback, similar to the Civic.

The GK is much more toward sloping back than a GE/GD.

No idea what a Kia Niro is.

Most Fits sold are CVT, gearing isn't really an issue for them. 6MT drivers should be willing to put up with that, unless you're only buying a 6MT because it is cheap.

Originally Posted by kenchan
huh, i thought the civic-hb sport trim looked pretty good. im not sure about the type-r though.. i think they went a little too crazy but it is a special car so..
Neither is pretty to me, but both are inoffensive to my sensibilities and trust me, my aesthetic sensibilities are narrow minded.

I find its appearance busy and disjointed, lacking the coherent grace of the Mazda equivalent. I may be a bit conservative in this respect; I opted for a regular Golf rather than a GTI for several reasons, one of which was aesthetic.

I have little doubt that the Civic is mechanically brilliant.
Honda sold 400k Civics in 2017.

Mazda sold 300k......cars/CUV/sports cars/EVERYTHING total.

The market has spoken.

Originally Posted by hensta
I would love to have the option for a 1.5 turbo in my '18 FIT. However, only if they could do all of the below:

Our family has a VW GTi and a BMW 335i (both turbos). Honestly, I enjoy driving my '18 FIT just as much even without the turbo knowing I am getting great mileage in a very light car while not paying super high insurance premiums or changing the oil every 3k miles. Can't say that for my other two turbo cars. While I agree it would be nice to have the option of a turbo FIT, most people like myself might still not buy it due to higher overall lifetime cost of ownership / maintenance. Still loving the '18 FIT like it is.
Buy a Civic hatchback if those things are desired. 2800#, better features, better ergonomics, same economy, better stability, etc.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member

wtf and wtf?

my GTI's insurance is about the same as the GK, GolfR's insurance is less.
and who changes oil every 3k miles on a modern car..? my changes are around 10k (when obc tells me to change) or one year .

Old 01-09-2018, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
wtf and wtf?

my GTI's insurance is about the same as the GK, GolfR's insurance is less.
and who changes oil every 3k miles on a modern car..? my changes are around 10k (when obc tells me to change) or one year .
My S2000 is almost half the price of my GE to insure.

I change the oil in the Fit every 5k miles, but that's just because for whatever reason I don't trust its reliability & the more I can do to help it out, the better I feel. S2000 gets a change once a year, but it burns enough oil that by the end of the summer, I've added a few fresh quarts

Old 01-09-2018, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
If my Fit gets totaled right now, I'd probably look at getting the Civic HB Sport in 6MT to avoid the HondaSense crap. It's about a $7 increase in insurance.

If I get the Type-R it's a $17 increase...

I honestly don't ever believe that they'd put the Civic 1.5T in the Fit though for the reasons stated in this thread. Would I buy it over the Civic 1.5T? Probably not as the suspension is lacking and can you imagine trying to stop with the drum brakes? I'd only buy a Fit 1.5T if they also upgraded the suspension and brake system as well.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
mike - good insurance deal on the s2k

if my GK got totalled i’ll get another one in EX trim. my wife likes the car and i like it for its utility. with carplay now should be pretty cool even without variable intermittent wipers.. or headlights lol

Old 01-09-2018, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
...even without variable intermittent wipers.. or headlights lol
Lol. I'll be watching for the thread complaining about the lack of variable intermittent headlights.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:20 PM
why would they take away the happiness of doing it yourself

Old 01-09-2018, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
:
1. Maybe, but doubtful
2. more parts will equal additional weight. Maybe not that much 100-200#
3. really? I want some of that medical marijuana you're smoking. When I bought my SRT-4 back in 2004 a nicely equipped Neon SE was around $14K and the SRT-4 was 20K Look at a base Subaru Impreza they start in the mid $18K range and a WRX starts at $27K In general the turbo performance model has a 50% markup over the cheaper base model

Old 01-09-2018, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Insurance premiums are like state taxes. Localized and highly variable. So that really isn't worth being in the list at all.

Regarding #3: I had a Mazdaspeed Miata (factory turbo) that, when new, was less than $900 over the regular LS (fully equipped) model. Point being, minimal markup for a turbo can happen, but is very unusual.

BTW, Rob H, I'm not sure owning an SRT-4 is something you ever want to admit in public. Especially since you're now a Subaru owner. lol.

Last edited by sneefy; 01-09-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oviyo
why would they take away the happiness of doing it yourself
hahaha!

Old 01-09-2018, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sneefy
BTW, Rob H, I'm not sure owning an SRT-4 is something you ever want to admit in public. Especially since you're now a Subaru owner. lol.

I drove that car 219K miles. Sold it 1-1/2 years ago. Car is still on the road and the kid who bought it had it up for sale on the Chicago SRT-4 FB page a month or two ago. The car would get low to mid 30's for fuel economy. Other than struts, tires, brakes, spark plugs and batteries the only non wear items that were replaced were one exhaust $200 eBay, once clutch at 187K miles, one oil pressure sensor, and the wiring to the IAC (common issue, actually a service part is available for replacing the wiring) and a set of spark plug wires and coil.

The only annoying part is the kids with no money who know own them and spend time on the forums.

I would have bought another but I was too late. A moth or two before I bought the Fit, a dealer in Ohio was selling one that had less than 100 miles. They wanted original sticker. By the time I was off work and contacted them, the car was sold.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
The only annoying part is the kids with no money who know own them and spend time on the forums.
I hear ya on this. Same can be said on the Subaru forums that I frequent. The Advent of cheap high milage WRXs bring out the douchenozzles.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
funny how on this forum, the nuisance are geezer newbs with no money..

lol

Old 01-09-2018, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob H
1. Maybe, but doubtful
The Civic EX-T is rated for like 38-42 MPG

Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
funny how on this forum, the nuisance are 10 year members with riced out fake race cars and no money..

lol
I have fixed this for you amigo

Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
uh oh now getting personal!!

oh wait that ain’t me. haha

Old 01-10-2018, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Probably directed to the idiot with the red & orange cars.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:32 PM
huh, i thought the civic-hb sport trim looked pretty good. im not sure about the type-r though.. i think they went a little too crazy but it is a special car so..
Lol since this thread is already this far off topic:
the type r, while it may be a track champ, and a reliable beast: aesthetically looks like something that fell off the fast and furious reject list. The vents are fake, just like on my fit, but my fit is a $16k economy car, not a $40k "sports car", and the double wing is something that even subaru wouldnt consider.

Quick Reply: Why no 1.5ltr Turbo Fit