3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Honda Fit Fuel Gauge Display Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 02:00 PM
It would be great for Honda to honor customers with 2015 + FITs and replace the unit but they have closed that door repeatedly. Time for a class action. I'm in. Who else?

Old 04-24-2020, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThrowingaFit108
It would be great for Honda to honor customers with 2015 + FITs and replace the unit but they have closed that door repeatedly. Time for a class action. I'm in. Who else?
I think I’m stuck paying for diagnostics but Honda will not cover it, I guarantee. I’m in, how can I help?

Old 04-24-2020, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Completely agree with the class action. I'm in!

Old 08-04-2020, 10:04 AM
Same

I have a 2016 HRV and am having this issue. First gen - guess they moved the Fit tech over. Did anyone ever find a good solution?

Old 08-05-2020, 12:49 AM
Also having this problem with a 2016 FIT. Anyone make any headway with Honda?

Old 08-06-2020, 02:19 PM
no headway...

Hi again,
The pandemic hitting put all this on hold for me, and I suppose for many legal avenues, etc. I think we should still pursue something together. We need to find an attorney. For sure, in my case, Honda did nothing but say I was out of warranty. End of story for them. I was going to actually file a small claims action but then the courts closed. So now it's August and things are, I'm presuming, pretty backed up. But if we can organize somehow, I'm totally in. Thank you!

Old 08-06-2020, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThrowingaFit108
Hi again,
The pandemic hitting put all this on hold for me, and I suppose for many legal avenues, etc. I think we should still pursue something together. We need to find an attorney. For sure, in my case, Honda did nothing but say I was out of warranty. End of story for them. I was going to actually file a small claims action but then the courts closed. So now it's August and things are, I'm presuming, pretty backed up. But if we can organize somehow, I'm totally in. Thank you!
Pretty certain it will need to be a class-action lawsuit.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:20 AM
2015 Fit

Hi there,

Just joined this forum because I am having the same issue with my 2015 Fit. The odometer and fuel gauge come and go. Interestingly, after I fill with gas it usually displays. My mechanic said he had never seen it before, and I hate going to the dealership. For now I am just filling up the gas tank before any particularly long trips.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:47 PM
Same issue with fuel/odometer/temp gauge.

I have the same issue with my 2015 Honda Fit LX with 75,000 miles. I noticed it starts looking jumbled or goes out more frequently in the cold, too, but now it's starting to malfunction even in the heat of summer. I asked about it at the dealership today, and they said it would be $900 to replace the gauge cluster, which seems comparable to what everyone else is experiencing. I held off replacing it for now as it usually starts working after a few minutes. Ugh.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jagged1
Has anyone else noticed that they updated that part of the instrument cluster on the 2018 and up Fit? I seriously think Honda owes everyone with the old defective instrument cluster an updated dash. Here is the new one for those that have not seen one or noticed.
My 2019 LX in the US has the same R-hand odo/mpg screen as the 2015 (mine does not look like that picture). They did upgrade the sending unit (the internals and connection due to issues with the 2015-6 R-hand LCD fitzingout. I think the part numbers changed sometime in 2017-8 to indicate a part change (looks the same).

Old 09-11-2020, 08:20 AM
hi, guys.
recently i bought used Honda fit 2015 (55k miles) and one morning I saw this.
Spoiler

I find some info about this problem here and decided that i'm not ready spend 200$ on new gauge cluster.
So i finded out how to remove it from car and gave it to my friend who works at cellphone service and has professional soldering machine.
he disassembled gauges, removed the chip and put it back.

Now i am happy owner of working gauges on FIT))

Old 10-11-2020, 11:32 AM
This is a known issue

I have the same problem. I’ve spoken to mechanics who’s say this is a known issue with these 2015 fits. Apparently many of them have been failing in the same way. There needs to be a recall or a class action because to replace the part costs around $850 and it’s a faulty part! I haven’t fixed mine yet. It goes out for a few minutes about every morning or with weather changes.

QUOTE=Sham24;1390446]~70k miles.

A few months ago, my fuel gauge display started going out...intermittently. Pretty much always at least once a trip. Sometimes it starts when I turn the car on, sometimes it's after I've driven 20 miles. The display stays backlit, but all the information (time, fuel gauge, odometer, temp) disappears.

Usually it will stay like that for a good while and then a bunch of gibberish suddenly pops on, as if everything possible was being displayed at once. Sometimes it will go back to showing nothing, sometimes it will go to a good display. Doesn't seem like it's related to temp - happens now in cool or warmish weather.

I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this.

I found another guy on the Internet a couple years ago that had the exact same issue, and the dealership told him it was a bad display (as opposed to a loose wire) and it'd have to be replaced. If so, I'm wondering how much effort it is to tear open the dash and do it myself. Kind of disappointed. This is my third Fit and the first two also had various electrical problems, though nothing I couldn't ignore. Really hard to ignore the lack of a fuel gauge.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-11-2020, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Summer Chiari
I have the same problem. I’ve spoken to mechanics who’s say this is a known issue with these 2015 fits. Apparently many of them have been failing in the same way. There needs to be a recall or a class action because to replace the part costs around $850 and it’s a faulty part! I haven’t fixed mine yet. It goes out for a few minutes about every morning or with weather changes.

QUOTE=Sham24;1390446]~70k miles.

A few months ago, my fuel gauge display started going out...intermittently. Pretty much always at least once a trip. Sometimes it starts when I turn the car on, sometimes it's after I've driven 20 miles. The display stays backlit, but all the information (time, fuel gauge, odometer, temp) disappears.

Usually it will stay like that for a good while and then a bunch of gibberish suddenly pops on, as if everything possible was being displayed at once. Sometimes it will go back to showing nothing, sometimes it will go to a good display. Doesn't seem like it's related to temp - happens now in cool or warmish weather.

I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this.

I found another guy on the Internet a couple years ago that had the exact same issue, and the dealership told him it was a bad display (as opposed to a loose wire) and it'd have to be replaced. If so, I'm wondering how much effort it is to tear open the dash and do it myself. Kind of disappointed. This is my third Fit and the first two also had various electrical problems, though nothing I couldn't ignore. Really hard to ignore the lack of a fuel gauge.
[/QUOTE]

report any failure to the recall.gov website. When enough people report the same issue- your government works with Honda on creating a fix. Use words like I don’t trust the car when the fuel gauge stops working or I was stranded due to the ...

Old 12-12-2020, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by KentFinn
And your solution to THAT pollution?

You have to resolder the connector for the fuel display

it's pretty simple to do you just resoder the fuel display

Old 12-23-2020, 03:24 PM
Also struggling with this issue. 2015 Honda Fit EX-L. I did not notice a temperature-related issue (located in Riverside, CA). Mine is sporadic and glitchy and seems to be an issue with the wiring, though I'm unsure.

I'm also interested in joining a class-action lawsuit. If anyone is organizing it, I made an excel sheet HERE to assist (though I am uninterested in spearheading the class-action lawsuit). Anyone interested, fill out the form w/ relevant information.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:38 PM
Spoke to Dealership

So the part *finally* malfunctioned at the Dealership while I was getting an oil change.
They told me they'd have to replace the entire guage cluster, $900 for the part and $300 for labor.

I submitted a report to the recall website, a few months ago. I know nothing of cars, so I don't know if this is something I can entrust in someone else or if I should actually go thru the dealership and suck up the $1200 bill.
Any one have any other resolutions, or if changing the cluster helped?

Old 01-04-2021, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
why do you want to get it fixed ?

Old 01-09-2021, 02:58 PM
2016 Honda Fit EX information display going out

Originally Posted by Valerie Thibault
Me too my fuel gauge do the same things. Honda found the problem. I have water infiltration. So the fuse box under my stering have corosion. They have to change and the cost for the fuse box is 700$. They pay half and half with me.
Mine started going out just like all the other ones described here. Only happens when it's cold. Is there a recall?

Old 01-10-2021, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Awesome travis!!!...so for sure it really, really fixes the problem?

Old 01-11-2021, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
It's not uncommon for electronic displays to fail like this when lead-free solder experiences heat cycling many times and ultimately develops cracks, causing intermittent connection. The fix is generally just to "re-flow" the solder, meaning to simply hold a soldering iron against each pin so that the solder becomes liquid again, re-establishing a good connection, then re-solidifies. If you want to make the joints more durable for the long haul, you could also get a solder wick and remove the lead-free solder and add leaded-solder (just don't breath deeply while soldering that stuff).

Quick Reply: 2015 Honda Fit Fuel Gauge Display Failure