3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2 dealership Oil Changes....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Siphoning oil out through the dipstick for an oil change would not be acceptable in my mind because there would be too much dirty oil left behind that you can't get out with this method. When I do an oil change by dropping the plug I leave the car to completely drain for a half hour or more in order to get every drop out that I can to minimize contamination of the fresh oil being added.

Siphoning is a good method for reducing the oil level if it has been over filled by the dealer or some oil change place.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
I agree with you about dong a top side oil change. My VW dealer does it that way & for them it is easy & quick. I'm sure they are not getting all the old oil out especially since they are in a hurry to get the car in & out fast. At home you can take more care to make sure you pull out as much oil as you can, but I still feel you'd leave some behind.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
And speaking of oil changes I just came across this in the news:

How to avoid spending money on unnecessary oil changes - Business - CBC News

Old 03-17-2018, 12:42 PM
I find that it's easier to see the level of clean oil on the dipstick using a flashlight, even in daytime.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
I find that it's easier to see the level of clean oil on the dipstick using a flashlight, even in daytime.
Thanks, I'll try that trick.

Hopefully to close the issue, I'll report that I took the vehicle back to the dealership and they did indeed remove some oil. The level is now between the two dots.

So finally, issue closed.

I guess what I've learned, is that I really can't trust the dealership. I speculate that it is that they are in a hurry, and I don't think they are letting the vehicle drain enough, then just filling to spec's which then is actually an overfill.

But what I come away with, is I absolutely can NOT trust that the oil isn't overfilled.
So my advice to anyone having someone else to their Oil Change, is to always check.
I guess if I continue to use the dealership, I'm going to have to be a lot more adamant about my desire to NOT have it overfilled, and insist on checking the same time and day the service is provided.

My warning to anyone that cares about Oil level, or thinks it is important, would be to indeed pull the dip stick, and check.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
It's time to put that black permanent marker to that orange dipstick. That'll take care of the reading dipsticks issue.

I just picked up my EX-L from the dealer and they serviced it before delivery and overfilled exactly as much as when I dumped 4 liters last year when I did it myself on the trade-in.

Straight from the [canadian] manual:
3.3 US qt (3.1 liters) without oil filter;
3.5 US qt (3.3 liters) including oil filter.

I dumped 4 LITERS which is more than 4 US qt last year (including oil filter capacity).

I noticed the engine taking a bit longer to warm up with 4 liters in it; in terms of damage, I really have no idea. But I do agree that overfilling is definitely not the way to go. Car ran fine though and let it burn off to the top mark in about 3000 miles. Enough said.

P.S -> The orange dipstick is advantageous however, when the oil is dark ... very easy to read.

Last edited by CommanderSlug; 03-17-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:11 PM
OP get yourself a pair of rhino ramps (stock fit suspension clears easily) and a comfortable creeper to slide under the car, the oil filter is literally staring right at you once you take the undertray off, and the drain bolt on the oil pan is extremely easy to get to, if you dont have the physical strength required you can use a ratchet with a longer handle for more leverage. It is quite easy, my 7 year old neice can do it, i cant imagine you are physically weaker than a 7 year old girl.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
The one thing I miss about the Jetta I had before the Fit was how the oil filter was at the top of the engine bay. Just the paper part of the filter, in a permanent metal housing.

Yes, I still have to get under the car to change the filter, but I got tired of spilling oil on the driveway if I didn't have the drain pan positioned right, or if the wind gusted while it was draining. It's not a superior method, just more convenient for me. The reason I brought it up here was that if someone is trying to remove a small amount of oil from an overfilled engine, it seems like a good solution.

If you're doing oil changes the traditional way and not spilling a drop, then there's no need to use a pump- and you're probably not overfilling the engine anyway.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
I always lay the dipstick on a paper towel & look at the witness mark left behind. That has worked for me.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
The one thing I miss about the Jetta I had before the Fit was how the oil filter was at the top of the engine bay. Just the paper part of the filter, in a permanent metal housing.

Yes, I still have to get under the car to change the filter, but I got tired of spilling oil on the driveway if I didn't have the drain pan positioned right, or if the wind gusted while it was draining. It's not a superior method, just more convenient for me. The reason I brought it up here was that if someone is trying to remove a small amount of oil from an overfilled engine, it seems like a good solution.

If you're doing oil changes the traditional way and not spilling a drop, then there's no need to use a pump- and you're probably not overfilling the engine anyway.
I bought a metal tray that is used to catch drips. I put it under the car first & then put my drain pan on it. If some goes out of the drain pan the tray will catch it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Airgas-LX...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 03-17-2018, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
lay the dipstick on a paper towel & look at the witness mark left behind.
Brilliant!

Old 03-19-2018, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know.
I tried the ol' lay the dipstick on it's side on a towel trick.
Since the problem with the Honda Dipstick is that it's just a big oil globbing piece of plastic. When I place it on it's side I just get a big covering the whole piece -saturated glob.
Doesn't really show me anything.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
An important issue is if the dealer reattached the splash shield properly so does not fall off?

Old 03-28-2018, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
I don't know.
I tried the ol' lay the dipstick on it's side on a towel trick.
Since the problem with the Honda Dipstick is that it's just a big oil globbing piece of plastic. When I place it on it's side I just get a big covering the whole piece -saturated glob.
Doesn't really show me anything.
Laying it any way but straight up and down is not going to give an accurate reading, especially with how thin 0w20 is. Check your oil with the engine completely cold, before its been started for the day, thats the best way to get an accurate reading. Pull the dipstick out slowly and carefully, and look at where the sheen ends. I can clearly see it if i check in the morning before ive started it. There is no need to wipe the dipstick and re check when cold. Just pull it out and take your reading.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cichlid_visuals
Laying it any way but straight up and down is not going to give an accurate reading, especially with how thin 0w20 is. Check your oil with the engine completely cold, before its been started for the day, thats the best way to get an accurate reading. Pull the dipstick out slowly and carefully, and look at where the sheen ends. I can clearly see it if i check in the morning before ive started it. There is no need to wipe the dipstick and re check when cold. Just pull it out and take your reading.
First of all...to everyone...I check my Oil in the morning after the vehicle has sat all night. Every time I check it, it's been sitting and cold.

I agree with this post.
That is, the clearest reading I can get seems to be just on first pull.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Paranoia Kills?

So I did take my vehicle back and have them drain some Oil.
They didn't argue because when pulling the dipstick it was entirely covered and clearly was overfilled.

But now my fear is...

While the oil is NOW under the fill mark, it also seems pretty dark to me, for supposedly new Oil.
The first time I had the Oil Replaced, the synthetic was so light, it was very hard to see.

Which makes me wonder.
Since it was so overfilled, did they just originally just add oil, and forget to drain it?
It's only been a couple of weeks since the change. I don't remember the Oil getting so dark so quickly.

According to Dealership...they ONLY use Honda OEM Oil which is Full Synthetic. So I don't think it could be case of accidental usage of conventional Oil.

How quickly can new Oil varnish up? Should I be concerned that it is so dark so quickly?

This has been a real pain.
I'm almost tempted to just go somewhere else and have the whole thing done again. Not really trusting it was ever done right.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Some oils turn dark very fast. Color is no indication of age.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Paranoia Kills?

So I did take my vehicle back and have them drain some Oil.
They didn't argue because when pulling the dipstick it was entirely covered and clearly was overfilled.

But now my fear is...

While the oil is NOW under the fill mark, it also seems pretty dark to me, for supposedly new Oil.
The first time I had the Oil Replaced, the synthetic was so light, it was very hard to see.

Which makes me wonder.
Since it was so overfilled, did they just originally just add oil, and forget to drain it?
It's only been a couple of weeks since the change. I don't remember the Oil getting so dark so quickly.

According to Dealership...they ONLY use Honda OEM Oil which is Full Synthetic. So I don't think it could be case of accidental usage of conventional Oil.

How quickly can new Oil varnish up? Should I be concerned that it is so dark so quickly?

This has been a real pain.
I'm almost tempted to just go somewhere else and have the whole thing done again. Not really trusting it was ever done right.
You absolutely have to do it yourself with the level of ocd i am assuming you have after reading your posts. Imagine the peace of mind of knowing you drained it yourself, and filled it with the correct amount. All u need is a pair of plastic ramps from autozone, a 14mm wrench, and a cheapo drain pan. Then you can purchase whatever brand oil and filter you'd like. Ive done my own oil since i could drive, no matter where i lived, apartment, house, hotel lmao didn't matter to me.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Some oils turn dark very fast. Color is no indication of age.
Would you say two weeks from the Oil Change full synthetic should already look dark?

The only reason I'm concerned at this point, is I don't remember it happening so quickly last time I had the oil changed.

Seemed like it was nearly invisible for weeks and weeks.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cichlid_visuals
You absolutely have to do it yourself with the level of ocd i am assuming you have after reading your posts. Imagine the peace of mind of knowing you drained it yourself, and filled it with the correct amount. All u need is a pair of plastic ramps from autozone, a 14mm wrench, and a cheapo drain pan. Then you can purchase whatever brand oil and filter you'd like. Ive done my own oil since i could drive, no matter where i lived, apartment, house, hotel lmao didn't matter to me.
I wholeheartedly agree! I even changed my own oil when living in on campus dorms in college. A group of us all shared the ramps and drain bucket.

For the same or less price as paying someone else to do it, you can get better quality oil, do it yourself, and have the peace of mind that it's been done correctly.

Quick Reply: 2 dealership Oil Changes....