3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2 dealership Oil Changes....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
2 dealership Oil Changes....

I have less than 12000 miles on my Fit. Only had 2 oil changes since new. Both done at Honda Dealerships.

The first time?
Dealership A...does maintenance minder recommendations a-1, Oil level is overfilled. I point it out, they try, but Oil is overfilled. After 2 attempts, I end up taking my Fit to a different Honda Dealership who was finally able to change the oil without overfilling.

This second time?
I take it to the dealership that "got it right". They do maintenance minder b-1. Now this is where I was stupid. Because they got it right before? I left the dealership without checking. Which I will never do again.
Get home....actually wait a day or two...check the oil in the morning after it had been sitting for 24 hours or more...on a level surface....

Guess What?
Well as far as I can tell from the HORRIBLE Honda dipstick, which is just a big piece of yellow oil globbing crap....the oil is once again overfilled.

What is it?
Why can't I get the oil changed correctly?

Do I need to tell them to under fill by 1/2 a quart?

I live in an apartment environment. I also just don't have the physical ability to really do an oil change, nor the tools needed.
That means I must depend on the dealership or an outside mechanic, independent to do Oil Changes.

But I'm really getting frustrated. 2 changes...have turned into 2 PIA's.

Since I've paid? I now have to go back, and it's not a short drive, and give this dealership the chance to make it right. But it's time and trouble for me.

This is for BASIC maintenance. Not really leaving me with a great feeling of confidence if I needed Honda to do anything more complicated.

Both dealerships had "Express Service" bays, which I guess they use for the basic stuff like Oil Changes. To make it a quicker experience.

You know what?
KEEP THE EXPRESS SERVICE.
Just do it right.

Really losing faith that for some reason...Honda Dealerships can properly change Honda Fits Oil.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Like I've commented in other threads, even measuring 3.5 QTs (as posted in the manual) it's a little over filled. It's not a bid deal. I'd rather have it a little over than low personally.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Like I've commented in other threads, even measuring 3.5 QTs (as posted in the manual) it's a little over filled. It's not a bid deal. I'd rather have it a little over than low personally.
To add to the whole crappiness however is the total abortion of function that IS the Honda Fit Dipstick.

As far as I can tell...it's overfilled because the whole yellow thing is covered in oil. It is certainly not at a mark below the high fill hole. But exactly where the oil level is at?

Why did Honda give us dipsticks that are IMO nearly impossible to really use and read?

I'd like to not worry, but in the owners manual itself its says:

" Do not fill the engine oil above the upper mark. Overfilling the engine oil can result in leaks and engine damage. "

From all information I can gather with todays new engines overfilling is a bad thing.

Yeah, if this was an older engine, and I was going to burn off a 1/2 a quart in 2-3 months, I wouldn't care.

But this is a brand new engine...that as of yet isn't damaged and/or burning oil.

Yeah, I'm ranting....but getting your oil changed, and NOT having it overfilled, AND having a dipstick that you can easily use and read, are all things that should be on the "easy" side of the vehicle ownership ledger.

If 3.5 overfills? Honda needs to change that specification.
I'd imagine it's partly because they are in a hurry. They don't let the oil drain out completely or enough. So if 3.5 is close to full or too full? It they hurried, it's going to be significantly overfilled.

Last edited by fitchet; 03-15-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
I save my worry on things that really matter. An engine that is slightly overfilled isn't going to do any harm. Maybe if you put a 1 QT extra you should be concerned, but otherwise I'm not going to loose sleep over it.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
If pouring oil from 1 quart bottles it wouldn't be a problem to figure out how much 3.5 is. Using a dispenser from a bulk tank may be more problematic. You end up with 4 quarts. For me being a half quart over is no big deal. That is a small amount to be worried about, at least for me.

As far as the dipstick goes, be glad Honda saw fit to give us one. Many new cars have electronic nanny's to monitor oil level. They don't always work & are a pain.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
My expectations, when paying to have a job done is that it be done right.
That would mean not having the Oil overfilled. Period.

We can speculate as to how much overfilled, actually becomes damage worthy. But the owners manual simply says...do not overfill. It doesn't say don't overfill but a quart over is OK. Or "Close Enough".

I assume a full mark...is a full mark. Anything above that is overfilled.

I'm also NOT going to be happy with the piece of crap dipstick Honda provides, just because other vehicles have systems that might not work either.

A dipstick is a pretty simple tool. I can't believe they haven't been tested, and it would be pretty easy to get them right. Who at Honda ever looked at those dipsticks and said "OK..Those Are Great"? It's frustrating when the fix in this case is so simple.
Don't make the entire reading end out of a big glob of oil smearing plastic would be a good start.
I've never had a dipstick that was so useless in any vehicle I've owned before, including my 2010 Honda Fit.
I really don't think I need to be happy with this one, just because other people have systems that don't work either.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I hate those dipsticks. Not to mention when you work with newly poured synthetic oil, it's especially hard to read. The shop I usually go to overfilled this time as well. My throttle response is noticeably sluggish and my mileage is 4-6 mpg less. Pisses me off. I took it back and they said nothing was wrong but I'm pretty sure they couldn't read the damn dipstick either. I'm pretty sure its above full. So now I've ordered a syringe with tubing arriving from Amazon in a couple days to siphon out some of the excess.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
Try Jiffy Lube. Really, changing the oil should not be a big deal. No more undercover in place, changing oil is a 15 min job. Put in 3.5+/- quarts, I'm done.

Last edited by wasserball; 03-16-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
You know you can get upset over the little things and raise your blood pressure, or you can do something about it.

I was getting lunch yesterday and an overweight person was complaining that they were out of diet coke. Kept yelling they should put up a sign. If they had put up a sign, I think that person would still be upset they were out of diet coke. They had mentioned they were diabetic and needed options. I was thinking water was an option, but that was probably not what that person really wanted to hear haha.

Also my wife tells me sometimes she just wants to vent and me listen without giving suggestions. So feel free to vent and I'll try that... haha

Old 03-16-2018, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
You know you can get upset over the little things and raise your blood pressure, or you can do something about it.

I was getting lunch yesterday and an overweight person was complaining that they were out of diet coke. Kept yelling they should put up a sign. If they had put up a sign, I think that person would still be upset they were out of diet coke. They had mentioned they were diabetic and needed options. I was thinking water was an option, but that was probably not what that person really wanted to hear haha.

Also my wife tells me sometimes she just wants to vent and me listen without giving suggestions. So feel free to vent and I'll try that... haha
You're absolutely correct that on the global perspective this is a little thing. Hey, the first time it happened I did pretty much ignore it. Fixing but moving on.
Just frustrating to me now, that I've only needed two Oil Changes, but both times they have been done incorrectly.
But the thing I've learned, is I'm NOT leaving the dealership or independent shop if I switch, without checking 1st. Evidently, I can't trust it will be done right, and better to confirm this before leaving. The real PIA, is having to go back, and go through the whole process again.

Last edited by fitchet; 03-16-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
I have to say that I would not be happy either.

Too high of oil can in fact cause severe problems. If it's high enough that the crankshaft is dragging in the oil, it puts undue stress on the entire engine. These are small motors with small internals and small oil pans. 1/2 quart too much could be enough to cause damage.

If it really is sluggish and fuel mileage has decreased as one mentioned above, it is definitely causing stress on the crankshaft. You can count on future rear main and front crank seal leaks as a result.

My suggestion, is use an independent shop and take them the exact amount of oil to use for the change. In the rare circumstances that I have not changed my own oil, I take them the filter and correct amount of oil to use. That also ensures you get quality oil and filter.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I have to say that I would not be happy either.

Too high of oil can in fact cause severe problems. If it's high enough that the crankshaft is dragging in the oil, it puts undue stress on the entire engine. These are small motors with small internals and small oil pans. 1/2 quart too much could be enough to cause damage.

If it really is sluggish and fuel mileage has decreased as one mentioned above, it is definitely causing stress on the crankshaft. You can count on future rear main and front crank seal leaks as a result.

My suggestion, is use an independent shop and take them the exact amount of oil to use for the change. In the rare circumstances that I have not changed my own oil, I take them the filter and correct amount of oil to use. That also ensures you get quality oil and filter.
Thanks.
Misery loves company, or at least some validation that their complaint is valid.
I realize this isn't a "End of The World" problem. BUT...I do think it is important with new cars that the oil is NOT overfilled. And with what the dealership charges for what is essentially just an Oil Change and a Tire Rotation, I think I have a right to expect it NOT be overfilled.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
I would hope that there's enough extra margin built into the oil pan capacity that 1/2 quart won't actually cause harm, but if the oil is high enough that there is ANY degradation of performance, there is cause for alarm.

If the oil touches the bottom part of the crank, it will foam the oil and can cause issues. There can also be seal issues.

My point is that I agree. There is NO good reason to overfill. My fear is that these motors are highly engineered to exact specifications. These are not the old domestic small block v8's that I'm used to. I have a Fit oil pan in my collection of parts. It is NOT large.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
I know not everyone wants to change their own oil, but if you need to remove some without opening the drain bolt, get a vacuum pump. I do my oil changes with one, and it's way cleaner and easier. Goes in through the dipstick tube, and removes however much you want.

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-16-2018, 04:16 PM
The last 6 vehicles I've owned, I can honestly say I have never even pulled the dipstick on any of them, not even once.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I save my worry on things that really matter. An engine that is slightly overfilled isn't going to do any harm. Maybe if you put a 1 QT extra you should be concerned, but otherwise I'm not going to loose sleep over it.
my dealer once put near one qt extra for free. such a great dealer. lol

was hoping the car would blow up but it was fine. i did the next oil change. so wouldn’t worry either.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:31 AM
Op i have no problems reading the dipstick. Let the car sit all night. Then before you start it, carefully pull the dipstick without tilting it left or right, and look for the shine of the oil edge. I can clearly see it even with fresh synthetic, the problem lies with measuring oil on a warm engine, oil is going everywhere, you just arent going to get an accurate reading until the oil sits and collects for a bit forming a line on the orange part of the dipstick, ideally right at the top dot.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
Is the vacuum pump process a good idea? Does it remove crud from the crankcase?
I'm an older guy, and do not want to slide under the car to remove the bottom cover, but if a pump is good enough I may again start changing oil/filter.
That would give me a doable job, some familiarity with my vehicle, and assurance that oil is not overfilled.....and save a few dollars!

Old 03-17-2018, 07:57 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
in many countries ive seen them siphon oil from the dip stick so im pretty sure it is safe. but you still need to replace the oil filter and maybe you can access from the top, but i think easier just replacing it from under the car! i have an oil extractor but never use it for oil changes.

now if this was on my Golfs, different story as the filter is in the engine bay.. but i still like to check the undercarriage while doing these services so i place all my cars on ramps and do the change from under the car.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I also just don't have the physical ability to really do an oil change, nor the tools needed.
Perhaps a trusted friend of yours would be willing to change your oil for you. You buy the oil and the filter, that way you could oversee the operation. I'd cheerfully change someone's oil for them for the price a dealer charges. If he's a good friend, I'd probably do it for free.

Quick Reply: 2 dealership Oil Changes....