3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2 dealership Oil Changes....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Would you say two weeks from the Oil Change full synthetic should already look dark?

The only reason I'm concerned at this point, is I don't remember it happening so quickly last time I had the oil changed.

Seemed like it was nearly invisible for weeks and weeks.
Yes, it can turn that quickly.

I think you said you checked it immediately after the change to verify level. Was it clear then?

Old 03-29-2018, 11:06 AM
I do not see there's any reason to do this regular maintenance work at dealership even your in warranty. Except warranty works I won't or free oil changes sometimes I don't even care these free oil changes I will never take my car to a dealership because I simply don't trust them dealer making more money from service then selling new and used cars combined. For my future fit I sent her probably watches around the liqui moly which is what I run in my Focus RS all the time that's the oil that i figured it works really well. I will refer you to individual shop that's quality works like some Napa auto garages which have a good reputations on doing things right

Old 03-29-2018, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
The problem with any shop I suspect is that they are in a rush to get your car back out the door. They'll drop the drain plug and then put it back in once most of the oil is out. There's no way to know how much dirty oil might still have dripped out if given the chance with a bit more time. It may not be surprising if your new oil looks a bit dirty next time you take the dipstick out.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I think you said you checked it immediately after the change to verify level. Was it clear then?
Yeah, I think it was clearer...

Old 03-29-2018, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
The problem with any shop I suspect is that they are in a rush to get your car back out the door. They'll drop the drain plug and then put it back in once most of the oil is out. There's no way to know how much dirty oil might still have dripped out if given the chance with a bit more time. It may not be surprising if your new oil looks a bit dirty next time you take the dipstick out.
Do you have to have a special Oil Filter wrench to remove your Honda Oil Filter? According to my Owners Manual : "You will need a special wrench to replace the oil filter. You can buy this wrench from a dealer."
I'm thinking more and more about just doing it myself in the future.

I suppose I could "borrow" my Dad's driveway. Because I think the ONLY way I'm ever going to really feel confident the change was done right, is if I find a way to do it myself.

Last edited by fitchet; 03-29-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
I just use a strap wrench. I don't care if the filter gets dented as I remove it since it's getting tossed anyways. They are very inexpensive.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I don't care if the filter gets dented as I remove it . . .
Long time ago I was working on a friend's car and the filter was seized in place. My filter wrench crushed the can so bad that I had to resort to pounding a screwdriver through the filter to twist it off.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Press Fit
Long time ago I was working on a friend's car and the filter was seized in place. My filter wrench crushed the can so bad that I had to resort to pounding a screwdriver through the filter to twist it off.
Yup had to do that on an old bike I had. Never had that issue with newer vehicles though. Especially if I did the previous oil change and didn't torque down the filter

Old 03-30-2018, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
A strap wrench will likely be needed for the first DIY oil change because dealerships generally way over tighten the oil filter. They are only supposed to be hand tight.

Since I do my own oil, I have a tool box full of various filter wrenches that never come out after the first filter comes off of each vehicle. From then on I put on and remove with just my hand and sometimes a rubber grip pad.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
I bought this cap end wrench:

Amazon Amazon

I haven't had a chance to actually use it since it's not time to do my first oil change yet so I can't be certain it will work well. It's well made though, heavy cast metal with a nickle finish. I tried it on the new filters I bought, genuine Honda ones (Filtech version) and it fits perfectly on the end.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:19 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Some oils turn dark very fast. Color is no indication of age.
completely agree. need lab test to find out how degraded the oil is.

im lazy so just use those clamping plier type oil filter wrench to remove. i just hand tighten mine too and im sure i can remove it by hand but why not just use a tool.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
To OP, you should do the oil change yourself if you're that paranoid about whether the dealership did their work or not.

And to make that job slightly easier afterwards... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Originally Posted by Press Fit
Yup had to do that on an old bike I had. Never had that issue with newer vehicles though. Especially if I did the previous oil change and didn't torque down the filter
I remember doing something similar.

I don't remember if it was with my Fit or some car I used before that, but I do remember that I had bought a filter cap socket, which was made of stiff rubber... turned out to be less than useless. I also had access to a metal filter wrench, that also turned out to be useless in that case as it was too big. Using both together almost worked... it had far more grip than either of them by themselves. But it wasn't enough.

So, I said fuck it, grabbed a plier wrench, crushed it about as much as my strength would allow and twisted it off.

Everytime I think of a screwdriver through the filter, I worry that it would just rip the filter apart starting from the hole you created. After all, if you can puncture the thin wall of the filter can, you can probably rip it apart too.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
I just use a strap wrench. I don't care if the filter gets dented as I remove it since it's getting tossed anyways. They are very inexpensive.
Yes, I used a large rubber strap wrench. For the first oil filter change from the factory it was on way over tight. I could not budge it without a tool. Cut my finger on the engine case when the wrench slipped. The next oil filter change will be much easier.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 03-30-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:43 PM
Here's a little tip for everybody struggling with the oil filter, before you do anything, before you get any oil on your hands loosen the oil filter while you have a nice dry grippy hand, don't loosen it all the way just give it about a quarter of a turn so the tight seal is broken, that way after oils all drained you can just easily unscrew the oil filter. I have never had to use anything but my bare hand to remove, and replace an oil filter.