3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dealer Reiumbursement for Repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Dealer Reiumbursement for Repairs?

I parked my car at work and set the parking brake, only to find that it would not release. I had the car towed to my regular garage. They determined that the cable had to be replaced and informed me that this was covered under the factory warranty. My local dealer could not get me in until a week later. I had my garage order the cable from the Honda dealer and perform the repair, rather than have the car towed again. Now that I've paid for the repair, I'm wondering about getting some reimbursement. I went to the dealer and was told to contact Honda Customer Service. I have a feeling I will only cause myself frustration and waste alot of time in doing this. Does anyone have any experience or insight to share? TIA

Old 03-17-2018, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
The dealer is right. Your warranty is with Honda, not the dealer. Contact Honda. Frankly I don't see how there should be any problem in getting compensated for this as long as it's something still covered by warranty..

Old 03-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah as long as you have the receipt and used honda parts you should be covered. just explain nicely to them what happened and express how much inconvenience it had caused.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
Years ago I a burned valve on an under warranty Honda. I was no where near a Honda dealer (Northern Canada). So I pulled the head and ordered a new (non-Honda) valve and gaskets. I had a local machine shop fix the head. Then I reinstalled it. About two months later I told the service manager at my regular Honda dealer what happened and he said to bring him the receipts. I did and Honda not only paid me for the parts non-Honda parts used but also paid me labor at the then standard shop rate for warranty work. They did not ask me how much labor. The just sent me a check and used the book rate. I'm not saying they will still do this but they did once for me many years ago.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses. I'll be calling Honda Corporate soon and will report back here.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
GL! yah keep us posted.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:01 PM
Your dealer should have made the contact to their service field rep.
Here is what AHM's guidelines are for customer reimbursement.
(But you can always call the 800# in your manual)

quote:

3.8 Customer Reimbursements

Customer reimbursements are considered for these types of repairs:
  • Emergency warranty repairs.
  • Repairs performed on vehicles beyond the warranty period as goodwill customer reimbursements.
3.8.1 Emergency Repair Reimbursement Policy

American Honda recognizes that, from time to time, customers may require emergency repairs from other than an authorized Honda dealer. A vehicle owner may be reimbursed for emergency repairs made by an independent shop if the situation meets these requirements:
  • All Honda automobile dealers within a distance of 50 miles were closed at the time, or no Honda automobile dealers were within 50 miles.
  • Continued operation of the vehicle would cause further vehicle damage or pose a safety problem.
  • The repair is normally warrantable.
A customer who wants reimbursement for the emergency repair must give you these items:
  • The original receipt for the emergency repair.
  • A description of the circumstances requiring the repair.
  • The defective parts.
3.8.2 Emergency Repair Reimbursement Procedure

Adjustments or repairs for other than emergency situations are not covered under warranty. Since the definition of emergency depends on many factors, each case is considered individually, and the nature of the problem or customer’s inconvenience is a determining factor. Inform the customer you will relay the request to American Honda, and do these steps:
  • Perform these calculations:
    • Look up American Honda’s most current suggested retail price for the part used.
    • Check the Honda flat rate labor time for the work done, and then multiply it by an hourly labor rate appropriate for the area where the repair was made (if within a 100-mile radius of your dealership, use your retail labor rate).
    • Add the parts, tax and labor, then compare the total for the warranted parts (plus tax) and labor to the customer’s paid receipt.
  • Call your DPSM for authorization to reimburse the customer:
    • Advise your DPSM of the “suggested Honda retail” repair cost that you have calculated and of the amount which the customer actually paid.
    • Record the proper reimbursement amount determined by your DPSM.
  • Once your DPSM has approved the reimbursement, reimburse the customer immediately, not after claim payment by American Honda.
  • Submit a warranty claim for your reimbursement:
    • Generate a repair order, and reference the vehicle’s repair needs and the customer’s situation on the complaint line.
    • Enter the amount in the sublet area of the claim.
    • Attach the original receipt for emergency repairs to the hard copy of the repair order.
    • Tag and store the parts as usual.
3.8.3 Goodwill Customer Reimbursements

American Honda will, on a case-by-case basis, reimburse customers for repairs performed on vehicles outside the warranty period. Those reimbursements may cover part or all of an owner’s out-of-pocket expense. The actual amount of the reimbursement will be decided by your DPSM or ACS.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
A bunch of hoops for the dealer to jump through. Easy to see why they don't want to bother and refer the owner directly to Honda. They aren't going to get any compensation from Honda for time wasted doing this.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by woof
A bunch of hoops for the dealer to jump through. Easy to see why they don't want to bother and refer the owner directly to Honda. They aren't going to get any compensation from Honda for time wasted doing this.
Its their job to jump through hoops.
But,
that's nothing compared to the thousands of other hoops dealers have to jump through for the manufacturer.... the list is virtually endless.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fituna
Your dealer should have made the contact to their service field rep.
Here is what AHM's guidelines are for customer reimbursement.
(But you can always call the 800# in your manual)

quote:

3.8 Customer Reimbursements

Customer reimbursements are considered for these types of repairs:
  • Emergency warranty repairs.
  • Repairs performed on vehicles beyond the warranty period as goodwill customer reimbursements.
3.8.1 Emergency Repair Reimbursement Policy

American Honda recognizes that, from time to time, customers may require emergency repairs from other than an authorized Honda dealer. A vehicle owner may be reimbursed for emergency repairs made by an independent shop if the situation meets these requirements:
  • All Honda automobile dealers within a distance of 50 miles were closed at the time, or no Honda automobile dealers were within 50 miles.
  • Continued operation of the vehicle would cause further vehicle damage or pose a safety problem.
  • The repair is normally warrantable.
A customer who wants reimbursement for the emergency repair must give you these items:
  • The original receipt for the emergency repair.
  • A description of the circumstances requiring the repair.
  • The defective parts.
3.8.2 Emergency Repair Reimbursement Procedure

Adjustments or repairs for other than emergency situations are not covered under warranty. Since the definition of emergency depends on many factors, each case is considered individually, and the nature of the problem or customer’s inconvenience is a determining factor. Inform the customer you will relay the request to American Honda, and do these steps:
  • Perform these calculations:
    • Look up American Honda’s most current suggested retail price for the part used.
    • Check the Honda flat rate labor time for the work done, and then multiply it by an hourly labor rate appropriate for the area where the repair was made (if within a 100-mile radius of your dealership, use your retail labor rate).
    • Add the parts, tax and labor, then compare the total for the warranted parts (plus tax) and labor to the customer’s paid receipt.
  • Call your DPSM for authorization to reimburse the customer:
    • Advise your DPSM of the “suggested Honda retail” repair cost that you have calculated and of the amount which the customer actually paid.
    • Record the proper reimbursement amount determined by your DPSM.
  • Once your DPSM has approved the reimbursement, reimburse the customer immediately, not after claim payment by American Honda.
  • Submit a warranty claim for your reimbursement:
    • Generate a repair order, and reference the vehicle’s repair needs and the customer’s situation on the complaint line.
    • Enter the amount in the sublet area of the claim.
    • Attach the original receipt for emergency repairs to the hard copy of the repair order.
    • Tag and store the parts as usual.
3.8.3 Goodwill Customer Reimbursements

American Honda will, on a case-by-case basis, reimburse customers for repairs performed on vehicles outside the warranty period. Those reimbursements may cover part or all of an owner’s out-of-pocket expense. The actual amount of the reimbursement will be decided by your DPSM or ACS.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
I called Honda and the rep read me this info. I stopped her at the part I've highlighted above. My case was referred to a case manager, I was given a case#, and told to wait at least 24 hours for a response. I'm asking for part and labor reimbursement. I generally don't require emergency repairs and was not thinking clearly when this happened. I should have called Honda Roadside and let them handle it all. Live and learn. If I get nothing back, I'm still doing very well overall. This is my second Fit, and I still have them both. Cost of operation and ownership is extremely reasonable and affordable. The total bill with part, labor, towing, and tax was $257. I can accept that. My local independent garage is a great place, and took great care of me. Now if Honda would offer higher end options in the Fit and/or HRV, I would buy a new one and stop looking at other vehicles all the time

Old 04-05-2018, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Resolution

After several weeks have passed, it seems that I only hear from AHM on Thursdays, the are offering to reimburse me for the part and labor costs only. I’m fine with that. This will come in the form of a Honda gift card that can be used at the dealer. It’s good for a year, but can be renewed if $25 or more remains at the end of the year.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
gift card? wtf honda so cheap.

but glad to hear ure happy with the outcome. better than nothing, huh?

Old 04-05-2018, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
gift card? wtf honda so cheap.

but glad to hear ure happy with the outcome. better than nothing, huh?
I honestly feel that it’s my fault for not thinking clearly at the time. I should have called Honda roadside and let them handle it all. I wasn’t expecting much after contacting Honda. They had no obligation to reimburse, and stated as much when offering me the gift card. I figure I can bring one or both of my Fits to the dealer for service until the card is used up. I MIGHT consider a few accessories for the 2015. I’m considering vent shades, but am concerned about snow removal with them in the way.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
i see. well it’s really about how you feel about it and you’re satisfied so that’s all that matters.