3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Looking at buying a Fit very soon - '16 or '17

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 02:00 AM
Looking at buying a Fit very soon - '16 or '17

I'm replacing my 2015 Ford Mustang with smaller, cheaper, non-Ford car. I narrowed it down to a Versa Note, Yaris, and Fit. After TONS more research, I think I wanna get a Fit. Any advice before buying? Things to watch out for?

I have LINKS
2016 Fit
https://www.carvana.com/search/20001...1-21371edcf47b
2017 Fit
https://www.carvana.com/details/4699...1-21371edcf47b

I read in a news article somewhere during my bouts of research insanity that Honda had moved production to Mexico, gotten a major uptick in owner complaints, and then moved production back to Japan. I can't find what years that was though.
Ill be moving up to Northern IL this Fall, so it needs to do really well in snow.
I've heard mileage doesn't seem to affect Honda's as much as other cars. How concerned should I be if I get a Fit with 35-45k miles on it? (I work from home, and only put maybe 7000 miles/year on a car)
It really needs to need minimal maintenance. I don't care much about luxuries, but I can't be paying to get it fixed or parts replaced.

One of the main selling factors for me was the Magic Seats. I use a wheelchair, and it can be a pain to get it in. I also can't sit in one position too long, so the super adjustable seat really helps. (I don't drive, so horizontal I go!)

Old 03-30-2018, 02:52 AM
Look like both of us are in the same situation now I'm getting rid of my X5 for something that's smaller and fit in the city driving I'm doing the same research like you did I compare across all these vehicles I have a Yaris manual I had a Nissan Versa even I even look into the Nissan Micra and also the other one is the Mitsubishi Mirage I will think that fit is the only choice I will go west because how big the trunk spaces if you have a Welch here the best way to do it is easier putting a trunk which the opening isn't that big and I sync with the magic seats you just for the rear seats up I'm able to fit both of my mountain bikes in there which is quite roomy the front dash area is in the tight like a lot of Volkswagen and Ford vehicles so getting in and out should be super easy there's one thing you have to worry about us sitting position is that it's not the rotating knob style manual seats it's the you pull the lever and the whole thing is become loose that so you're not able to adjust while you're driving and also the address is only two way I know I'm being alittle picky since i came from 24 way power seats in my BMW X5 to one of the smaller car but honestly the seats in the fit is super super super comfortable

Old 03-30-2018, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Valicious
I'm replacing my 2015 Ford Mustang with smaller, cheaper, non-Ford car. I narrowed it down to a Versa Note, Yaris, and Fit. After TONS more research, I think I wanna get a Fit. Any advice before buying? Things to watch out for?

I have LINKS
2016 Fit
https://www.carvana.com/search/20001...1-21371edcf47b
2017 Fit
https://www.carvana.com/details/4699...1-21371edcf47b

I read in a news article somewhere during my bouts of research insanity that Honda had moved production to Mexico, gotten a major uptick in owner complaints, and then moved production back to Japan. I can't find what years that was though.
Ill be moving up to Northern IL this Fall, so it needs to do really well in snow.
I've heard mileage doesn't seem to affect Honda's as much as other cars. How concerned should I be if I get a Fit with 35-45k miles on it? (I work from home, and only put maybe 7000 miles/year on a car)
It really needs to need minimal maintenance. I don't care much about luxuries, but I can't be paying to get it fixed or parts replaced.

One of the main selling factors for me was the Magic Seats. I use a wheelchair, and it can be a pain to get it in. I also can't sit in one position too long, so the super adjustable seat really helps. (I don't drive, so horizontal I go!)
I have 56K miles on my Fit. Other than normal oil changes/filters and a tire change it has been trouble free mechanically. It's a 2015 so there were some Q/C issues and recalls.

I would see if you can take a long test drive to try out the seats. Some people complain about them after long drives, but that is subjective. I'm surprised you drove a mustang with wheel chair use. The Fit is low, but my wife had a mustang and I felt getting in/out of that was harder than my Fit lol.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:17 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
op- i donno mang.. ive had so much bad luck with the current gen Fit i cant recommend it. if you must get a Fit, get the newer one or a brand new one to maximize warranty period. i dont recommend extended warranties however..

but since ure coming from a ford (especially a mustang) maybe u wont care about the quality issues and think its normal.

regardless GL on your purchase.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm...
If you don't drive, and are only traveling about 7,000 miles a year with whatever vehicle you own, I think you have a LOT of options.

Being able to easily fit your wheelchair in your vehicle would be a big one.

I'm not clear exactly as to how you use your vehicle.
With my 2010 Fit, I had to be the primary chauffeur for my ailing mother, who depended on a wheelchair. She could stand and take minimal steps for transport but that was about it.
The Fit worked great with the magic seats, she had a folding wheelchair, and needed oxygen tanks all which I could fit with the seats folded up. She sat in the passenger seat. She had very limited, but some standing and few steps ability. The fact that The Fit was lower to the ground, than say an SUV and she did not need to step UP significantly to get into it, was an advantage.

But I'm not sure exactly what your requirements and desire might be.

You are coming from a Mustang...and now looking at small sub-compact vehicles.

In your situation I don't know if economy-fuel economy, and/or to an extent even long term reliability would be my #1 factors. Your NOT putting very much miles on the vehicle, so anything in good shape and newer, should be relatively reliable.

Given your situation I think utility would be high on the list. If you need room for a wheelchair? Ease of entry and exit?

Even though I know through experience that The Fit can work well with a folding wheelchair and in transporting a wide variety of items, I'm not sure there wouldn't be better options.

If budget can afford it, why not look at some vehicles outside the sub-compact realm?

If winter weather ability is also a priority, I'd look at all wheel drive vehicles.
Subaru has some nice products.

Without knowing more precisely what your physical demands and challenges are...and what you desire in terms of utility, it's hard to recommend.

You are right that there were more reports of quality and fit and finish problems on early release Fits from the at the time newly opened Mexico plant.

I don't own one from that plant or time period.
I would say, it was a reason I waited until I heard they were being produced in Japan again. I owned a 2010...now a 2016.

PS.
A Fit that is in "Good Shape" in all other respects. No accident history, good maintenance history, with 35K-45K on it? Would not be a concern to me. Assuming no accident in it's past, and good maintenance in it's history, you should be able to expect to put many, many more miles on the vehicle.

Last edited by fitchet; 03-30-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
I know some folks have had niggles big and small, but statistics support that the Fit is sound. Especially 2016 and 2017.

I have a very early 2015, and it has been perfect. Nothing whatsoever has gone wrong.

Okay, one key fob died, but that could be from sitting on it in a wet swimsuit for 10 miles.

Good luck with your choice and Godspeed.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Between the Versa Note, Yaris and Fit, the Fit is a better car and more bang for the dollar. I rented the Versa Note many times. It comes closer to the Fit, but the engine is not as strong, the handling is inferior (lots of side roll in corners), and the rear hatch is close but not as large. The Yaris has a weak engine and handling compared to the Fit. An upgrade to the Fit would be a Mazda3, which has better handing, less hatch room and more expensive purchase price. I have a manual 6MT, which is a lot of fun.

The Fit handles surprisingly well in the snow. I have Michelin X-Ice Xi3s, minus one size 14" rims. The minus one is narrower, sinking into the snow and getting more traction. The Fit really gets traction and pulls well. Then again there is only 5.5" of clearance under the car, so maybe not for deep snow. You can lock up the Fit's rear end and slide, but there must be ice or slush on the road. To keep your car a little cleaner consider rear mud flaps.

If you have snow then you have slush and a mess in your car. Consider Husky floor mats, which have excellent coverage and pools any water than has melted. The carpeting in the fit is really thin. We call it mouse fur.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Thank you you guys for the replies and help. I had written out a nice multi-paragraph post, but my browser crashed and I lost it
Before we owned the Mustang, my best friend/roommate/caregiver of 10 years owned a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. The trunks in the Mustang and Cobalt weren't exactly ideal, but we worked out a system that went off like clockwork. I would drive my chair (foldable electric) up next to the front door, he would lift me under the arms and plop me in the front passenger seat. He'd then push the chair by the trunk and lift it in. He's pretty strong, but I worry about his back as we get older. (30 and 31 now) I'm glad the bottom of the Fit is so low.
Question: How much of a difference is there between the 2015, 2016, and 2017 models? Various websites say "no difference", but they can miss a lot of smaller things. I have paralyzed vocal chords, so cabin noise is a special consideration since too much can make it hard to hear me. Did they put more sound isolation foam between years for instance?
I'm pretty much down to three choices. Reliability and gas efficiency take priority over luxuries.
2015 Fit EX-L with 60.3k miles - $13,100
https://www.carvana.com/details/483956/2015-honda-
2016 Fit LX with 42.5k miles - $13,200
https://www.carvana.com/search/20001...6-honda-fit-lx
2017 Fit LX with 29.4k miles - $14,500
https://www.carvana.com/search/20001...7-honda-fit-lx

I'm mainly trying to decide between the 2015 and 2016, but I can try to get the 2017 if the difference is enough. You said miles don't greatly matter since the Fit will last forever. We'll be driving more after we move this Fall, but still less than 10k miles/year.
I'll wrap this up and stop rambling. Given my situation, which should I choose?

Old 04-01-2018, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Valicious
...Question: How much of a difference is there between the 2015, 2016, and 2017 models? Various websites say "no difference", but they can miss a lot of smaller things. I have paralyzed vocal chords, so cabin noise is a special consideration since too much can make it hard to hear me. Did they put more sound isolation foam between years for instance?...
The Fit's magic seats has "tall mode", where the two rear seat bottoms pivot upward, but the back stays the same. This allows you to open the rear side passenger doors and put something in that is tall. There is a lot of space in tall mode. I have put in large plants and a bicycle. Your folding electric chair might be easier to get into tall mode because the passenger doors will be lower than the rear hatch.

As for difference between '15, '16 and '17, I have not heard they are very much.

Ahem, as for the Fit lasting forever, no. Honda has dropped many positions in the last recent years and are not in the top 10 positions, according to the Consumers' Report Reliability Study. Cars are made more cheaply now, with emphasis on higher gas mileage.

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 04-01-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
There's not much difference between the 2015. 16, and 17 but Honda did make some mechanical fixes along the way so generally latest version is best. In addition the 2015 suffered a lot of paint, fit and finish problems since it was the first car being built at a new Mexican assembly plant. Fit problems are best summarized by this chart:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Fit/

Click on the vertical bars to see details.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
Supposedly the 2018+ have a thicker windshield and more noise insulation making it quieter. I've not driven a 2018 so I can't comment, just mentioning what I've heard in car mag reviews.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
It really seems like given your situation utility is the most important factor. So obviously you need to make sure your wheelchair will fit, and that the passenger seat is comfortable.

Unfortunately, I would say the Fit isn't the quietest vehicle. It's light, minimal insulation, and has a pretty high degree of road noise. You also need to make sure that is acceptable,- but I wouldn't call the Fit a quiet vehicle. Can't really judge whether it would be a problem, but be aware of this reality.

I would say for a sub-compact, the Fit is amazingly versatile with the foldable magic seats.
But you really need to make sure it's going to work for you.
Even with the configurable seats and interior, it's still a sub-compact.

I think what I would want to confirm, is whether it will work with your wheelchair.
Whether it is quiet enough a vehicle.
Whether the front seat, passenger seat, are comfortable enough for both yourself and driver.

Obviously, I like the Fit, I've owned two.
And while I think a used Fit, that has been well maintained, with less than 40,000, should still have a lot of reliability and life left, it is also true that no mechanical machine is beyond breaking down.
I think at the least, you need to get a Carfax report on whatever vehicle you choose, make sure it's not a rebuilt or salvaged title. And the very best is to have the vehicle checked out by an independent mechanic before you purchase.
Unfortunately also the used car market can be treacherous.

Don't mean to sound negative, I think perhaps the Fit will work for your situation. But there are things I think only you can check out, and discover, that would be important to know before purchasing.

Best of Luck.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
What are the folded dimensions of your chair? How heavy is your chair? The chairs I know are all not very light, with heavy batteries.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:55 PM
My chair is pretty small. It's compact enough to fit in the trunch of a mustang.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
I just recently bought an 18, and it is considerably quieter than my old 07 I had. More upscale interior too.

Its no luxury car, but for its class, its pretty darn nice inside! Good luck to you!

Old 04-05-2018, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
well yah.. the GD was kinda like junk compared to the GK in all areas except reliability. congrats on the new ride.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
torontoboy- nice blue accents on the trims.