3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Initial Must-Dos + Issues of GK Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 05:06 AM
Initial Must-Dos + Issues of GK Fit

Have owned my Fit LX for 3 days now. Seems like a fun car. The here's what seems like a beginner list of must-do's / must-get accessories:

- Dash mat to lower dash glare
- DIY Cargo Tray
- Use foamboards + curtain rods / construction ties for reinforcement
- Buy the clips so you can use some paracord to tie it to the trunk lid.
- Build it so that you have the foam board going across, then two pieces as "rails" below the foam board. That lets you make an easy cutout for the pivot point. Looking at the car from the back, the cargo cover shape should be like this:

- The additional "nubs" on the left and right are the extra pieces of foam you glue on.
- 3M wrap the front, rear and shifter surround shiny black trim or else they will all get scratched to hell.

Issues:
- Rear garnish (has emblem on it) is prone to cracking / coming loose.

If there are any others, post 'em up!

Last edited by psamtik; 04-06-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member
The “rear garnish” won’t break unless you insist on using it as a handle to close the hatch. Apparently it’s NOT a handle.

I never bothered with a cargo cover. A couple of dark blankets carried in the car have sufficed to conceal anything I don’t want seen. They also work if the seats are folded down (I regularly carry guitars and amplifiers).

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 04-06-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member
Like Uncle Gary mentioned, the rear garnish isn't an issue if used properly. It's not a handle. If you want to close the hatch, there is a little cutout on the right side that you can stick your hand for better grip to swing down and close the hatch. Added benefit is you keep your hand cleaner versus touching the outside hatch.

I made a hatch cover and just keep in mind, it's not going to be a clean rectangle as your drawing. Maybe that was just a quick sketch, but just wanted to point it out. Mine is flat enough that it actually sits below the pivot point. Clicking on my sig picture can show more details. A blanket works even easier, but I'm a DIYer so it was a fun project. I even added the "Fit" emblem I pulled from the hatch onto the cargo cover to "jazz" it up a bit

For me, must have accessory was Husky Floor mats and a leather steering wheel cover. The mats really add protection and the leather steering cover helped with the slick plastic feel of the steering wheel.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Like Uncle Gary mentioned, the rear garnish isn't an issue if used properly. It's not a handle. If you want to close the hatch, there is a little cutout on the right side that you can stick your hand for better grip to swing down and close the hatch. Added benefit is you keep your hand cleaner versus touching the outside hatch.

I made a hatch cover and just keep in mind, it's not going to be a clean rectangle as your drawing. Maybe that was just a quick sketch, but just wanted to point it out. Mine is flat enough that it actually sits below the pivot point. Clicking on my sig picture can show more details. A blanket works even easier, but I'm a DIYer so it was a fun project. I even added the "Fit" emblem I pulled from the hatch onto the cargo cover to "jazz" it up a bit

For me, must have accessory was Husky Floor mats and a leather steering wheel cover. The mats really add protection and the leather steering cover helped with the slick plastic feel of the steering wheel.
Yep, the person who I bought the car from had their own hatch cover but it keeps sagging. I plan on using their template as a guide on making my own cargo cover. Mine currently sits below the pivot point, but that's not the way honda intended the design to work. If you look at the OEM cover, it sits on top. That allows the pivot point to also impart some force to prevent the cargo cover from falling back towards the seats.

Ooh, leather steering cover! Any suggestions for which one?

Old 04-06-2018, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Mine doesn't budge at all. I've even tried it mounted above the pivot point and it works fine as well. Maybe because of the oblong shape it has no room to move.

This is where I got my leather steering cover: Leather Steering Wheel Covers Manufacturer and Distributor
Kind of a PITA to install, but it does feel nice...

Old 04-12-2018, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by psamtik
Issues:
- Rear garnish (has emblem on it) is prone to cracking / coming loose.
My friend broke mine in half (he used it as a handle). I knew it was coming.

Dash mat is a big + for reducing glare when sunny. I love mine.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:29 PM
A long time before I ever bought a Fit I really wanted one so I'd look at this old thread wistfully. Since getting one I've gotten the leather steering wheel cover (must-have during the freezing winter) and a good window tinting (must-have during the hot summer). The Fit has big windows all over so all that sunlight really bakes you when it's shining outside. Speaking of heat, I also got some window visors so I can leave them cracked slightly and vent some of the hot air while I'm inside at work.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
Personally I don't like the look of dash mats. If you're worried about the glare, get a nice set of polarized sunglasses.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Personally I don't like the look of dash mats. If you're worried about the glare, get a nice set of polarized sunglasses.
Bingo! I use the mat in conjunction with polarized jedi sunglasses. Nothing can beat that.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Rear mudflaps will keep your car a little cleaner, deflecting the dirt away from your paint.