3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

A/C better in 3rd-generation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 04:13 PM
Just took a trip to Port Aransas and noticed some interesting things, since I usually drive but this time I was
in the passenger seat with my laser. First, the A/C blew as low as 43F out the passenger vent, while at the same time
was blowing 75F out the driver's vent. The ones in the middle were often in the 60's. This STILL only kept the car
at 92F ambient.

Occasionally it would blow warmer, the compressor would turn on and off during highway driving, and when idling
in line for the car ferry it read 95F outside, and the vents blew 95F with the A/C on full. Is this some chip controlling this
instead of an inside temperature sensor? A faulty relay? Has anyone else noticed this?

One more thing: I turned to temp to hot with the A/C on full and full heat came out instantly on demand. Where did that
all come from, right off the engine? I get the impression the vent ducting has absolutely no insulation around it inside the dash.
Can anyone confirm that?

Old 07-31-2018, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chiefengineer
It's mid-afternoon here and i moved the car 20 feet to change the oil. My laser
thermometer read as follows:

Dash: 189F
Steering wheel: 147F
Passenger seat: 152F

The last one was a bit interesting to me, being a plush surface
on which we sit. That is a lot of residual heat to remove...no wonder
it never cools...dark gray interior.

On the other hand I ran across a package of two large wool "dryer balls"
at Walmart yesterday, and threw them in the cart. When my family asked
what they were for I said they were to keep in the Fit, "that way I'm sure to have some in there".

At least the teenagers liked it.
While I still don't understand why your Fit's AC seems to underperform what my 2015 EX Fit's, your temps above should be a warning about leaving children and animals in a closed car of any sort. Unlike you, I have no high tech instruments, only the sweat on my brow. Probably less efficient than the legendary butt dyno.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
While I still don't understand why your Fit's AC seems to underperform what my 2015 EX Fit's, your temps above should be a warning about leaving children and animals in a closed car of any sort. Unlike you, I have no high tech instruments, only the sweat on my brow. Probably less efficient than the legendary butt dyno.
Neither do I. I’ll admit, it rarely gets over 100 up here, but we’ve had a lot of upper 90’s weather this summer. I typically run the fan on setting “2” and after an hour I have to turn the fan down or I get too cold.

Not trying to argue here, but it’s obvious that some AC units are not operating up to par.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 08-01-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
I still say...if your A/C isn't blowing ice cold, take it to the dealer and have them make it. If it still doesn't, take it to another dealer. If it still doesn't, complain to Honda of America.

This weekend I was in my parents Honda's in S FL. Mom's 2011 Fit blows ice cold. I'm talking ice, ice baby cold. No complaints. When it was new, they took it in though and it's been good since.

Dad's 2017 CR-V is another story. It's not remotely sufficient in 90+ degree heat. After about 15 minutes it starts to blow cool air. He needs to take it in immediately.

I'm still convinced that all Honda's are underfilled from the factory and needs service to be perfect.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:53 AM
I picked mine up Saturday on a ~100 degree day, put 100 miles on it, and it was more than cold enough, but if you have kids I'm betting the back seat wouldn't have been quite as comfy. Also in my city we don't have what you call "traffic" to sit in, so I didn't do any sitting and idling.

I've also never DDd a car with functional AC, and think the entire concept of AC is slightly overrated since for thousands of years a stiff breeze and an open window did just fine, so my standards are pretty low.
​​​​​

Old 08-06-2018, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
At 90 degs F outside, my Fit gets adequately cool if it is cloudy; but doesn't get cool enough if it is sunny. Can take 20 minutes to cool down to about 78 degress in the cabin. Sun through windshield warms up the huge, black, heat-absorbing dash, and the dash heats up the cabin air, and pushes hot air right into my face. I turn the air direction knob to the defrost position, to try and cool off the dashboard. Unfortunately, you can't have air coming out of the main vents, and the defrost vents, at the same time. Choices are only defrost vents, dash vents, bottom vents, combo bottom and defrost, combo Bottom and dash. They left out defrost and dash. so I alternate between dash vents to blow cool air on my face, and defrost vents to try an cool off the big, black dash.

Last edited by nomenclator; 08-06-2018 at 12:00 PM.