3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Factory Ride... Yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 06:15 PM
Factory Ride... Yay or nay?

Since this is my first new car ever, I feel like the ride in my '18 Sport is sublime compared to my 90s beaters.

​​​​For those who have upgraded their suspension to the HFP. Was the ride (in terms of harshness) better, worse, or the same?
I wouldn't mind a little lowering for appearance so I'm not looking for performance suspension that could drastically change the drive.

​​

Old 07-15-2018, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
With the HFP setup, front springs are 2x the stock spring rate and rear springs are 2.5x the stock spring rate, if I remember correctly. So it should be significantly stiffer when you consider the spring rate as well as the shocks/struts with more firm compression and rebound damping.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the reply.

​​​​​​I'm curious to know where you got the 2x / 2.5x ratings from. The only thing I could find is the height reduction of the springs by 10mm. Care to share?

Old 07-15-2018, 09:56 PM
I have the HFP setup on my short list.
In the meantime I find the stock ride quality of my EX quite remarkable.
I am pretty sure it will get stiffer with the kit, but should be even more fun. From the reviews I read, it looks like a solid setup.

I have so far replaced wheels and tires and this resulted in 2 inch wider track. That alone had a noticeable improvement in the way everything feels.
Will get a proper alignment soon and see where this leads.
I am not interested in lowering the car at all, so the HFP kit seems like the best (only?) option if higher spring rates with matching dampers at stock height is the goal.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ieandro
Thanks for the reply.

I'm curious to know where you got the 2x / 2.5x ratings from. The only thing I could find is the height reduction of the springs by 10mm. Care to share?
I read it somewhere on Honda's site. Can't find that at the moment, but in this article they mention the same numbers (as a percentage, 13% and 149% stiffer): https://www.motor1.com/reviews/17648...t-first-drive/

Old 07-17-2018, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the reply.

​​​​​​I'm curious to know where you got the 2x / 2.5x ratings from. The only thing I could find is the height reduction of the springs by 10mm. Care to share?
Here's another source that confirms the spring rates.

The key thing here, as far as ride quality is concerned for everyday driving, is how well the dampers are tuned. The spring rates can go up fairly high but continue to have good ride quality if the dampers are carefully tuned with comfort in mind. Comfortable, yet controlled damping usually means good handling over bumpy surfaces too so it's a win-win.

Conversely, you can have less aggressive spring rates with a horrible ride (and handling) if the dampers are not well matched or improperly tuned.

Some members here have the HFP suspension on their GKs. Perhaps they can chime in with their thoughts after living with the setup for a while.

Whereas I do like the fine ride quality over uneven surfaces and bumps at lower city speeds in my USDM 2018 Sport, the car does feel a bit wobbly and unstable at higher speeds. Not horrible, but not confidence inspiring or fun in that old school Honda way. This does make sense, though, given the Fit/Jazz purpose as a city car, e.g. slower and uneven or bumpy city streets.

Comfort is very important to me so continued learning to see if HFP is an ideal solution is in order. An HFP suspended version is always preferred to the standard suspension in every press review I've seen or read. But these reviewers don't live with the car for extended periods of time...

Last edited by LesPaulPlayer; 07-17-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
...I wouldn't mind a little lowering for appearance so I'm not looking for performance suspension that could drastically change the drive.​​
I recently changed out the springs in my 2019 Sport with some Eibachs, and for ~$220 and a couple hours, they may get you exactly what you are seeking...An awesome but not excessive ~1.5 inch drop, and a very nice ride, a little firmer, but certainly not harsh.