3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

rotating tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
rotating tires

Certainly there is information about this topic but I was unable to find it.
My apologies.
I'm needing to rotate the tires on my 2016 Fit.
My questions:

1. Front to back, back to front, same side?
2. Lug nut torque?

Thanks in advance.

I have Maxxis MA 202 tires which I like very much.

Last edited by max503; 07-18-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Are they directional tires? If so do front to back on the same side.

If they are bi directional then you can cross them.

I do 90 lb/ft for lugs.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat

I do 90 lb/ft for lugs.
What he said

I do "C" on this diagram but I have bidirectional tires. I was able to get about 40k on the stock tires with rotations every 5k miles.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you. Mine are non-directional.
Barry's Tire Tech

And thanks for the quick replies. I will make a sketch in my owners manual so I'll know next time.

Last edited by max503; 07-18-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Any suggestions about how to easily get all four wheels off the ground at once, or some other way to make this job easier?
Till now I've never done the cross thing. That makes the job more complicated.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Loosen the lug nuts first. Drive up on a ramp so I can get my low profile floor jack to access the front lift point near the engine. Lift it up, and put the front on jack stands. Then I use the rear tow hook to lift up the rear and put the rear on jack stands.

If you don't have a ramp, a couple 2x4s stacked should get you enough space, but that's w/ a low profile lift.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
it helps to have 2 jacks (esp the low profile ones), I dont know how I'd live w/o em

Old 07-19-2018, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Loosen the lug nuts first. Drive up on a ramp so I can get my low profile floor jack to access the front lift point near the engine. Lift it up, and put the front on jack stands. Then I use the rear tow hook to lift up the rear and put the rear on jack stands.

If you don't have a ramp, a couple 2x4s stacked should get you enough space, but that's w/ a low profile lift.
Thanks. This sounds good. I may have to borrow an extra set of jack stands from the neighbor.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:56 PM
Is this an LX with steel wheels or does it have alloys?
If alloys, 90lb/ft is too much.
Try 75.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
If you have a set of winter tires then rotation is easy because you can move the summer tires around to new locations when you re-install them in the spring, and you'll only need the one jack.

I put a dab of white paint on the inside of each wheel (anywhere from one to four dabs) so I know what the original location of each wheel was and can tell where it needs to be now depending on how many rotations it's been through.

I have wheel stud torque written down as 80 ft-lb but can't remember where I got that.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GolNat

I do 90 lb/ft for lugs.
sounds politically sensitive. asymmetrical sounds gooder. or non directional.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
80 ft/lb is in the manual for the lug nuts.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
I just do F to R/R to F …. f that other noise, tire technology has come a long way from the supposedly good all days.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
If you have a set of winter tires then rotation is easy because you can move the summer tires around to new locations when you re-install them in the spring, and you'll only need the one jack.

I put a dab of white paint on the inside of each wheel (anywhere from one to four dabs) so I know what the original location of each wheel was and can tell where it needs to be now depending on how many rotations it's been through.

I have wheel stud torque written down as 80 ft-lb but can't remember where I got that.
That’s what I do. I rotate the tires when I switch from winter to summer tires and vice versa. When I take the tires off I label each tire with masking tape and a marker as to where it was located on the car so I know where to move it to next time.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
80 ft/lb is in the manual for the lug nuts.
just be sure to retorque it a few times if using 80lbs.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Re-torquing is certainly required for alloy wheels but I've never been convinced it's needed for steelies and I've never done it for mine.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
I've been over-thinking this. Yesterday morning I grabbed a mug of coffee and went out on the driveway and rotated my tires, using the donut as a spacer. I even used the Fit jack instead of my hydraulic floor jack because it mates with the jacking points without stress.
Took maybe an hour. Piece of cake. Nice, peaceful way to spend an early morning.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by max503
I've been over-thinking this. Yesterday morning I grabbed a mug of coffee and went out on the driveway and rotated my tires, using the donut as a spacer. I even used the Fit jack instead of my hydraulic floor jack because it mates with the jacking points without stress.
Took maybe an hour. Piece of cake. Nice, peaceful way to spend an early morning.
Yup. Just the way I used to do it. It’s even easier now that I run four mounted snow tires in the winter. My tires get “rotated” in the fall when I mount the snow tires and again in the spring when I mount the summer tires.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Re-torquing is certainly required for alloy wheels but I've never been convinced it's needed for steelies and I've never done it for mine.
hummm.. long time ago when i swapped my inlaws car to steelie full sized spare i had to retorque it a few times.. thing kept coming loose even at 90lbs

Old 08-13-2018, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member

For "ramps" I use a single piece of 2 x 12 inch lumber on each side. 1.5 inch extra height is enough to enable me to get my jack to the center lift point. Lumber pieces would be maybe about 2 feet long. I cut one end of each piece of lumber at a 45 degree angle to make it easy to drive up onto. Bang each piece up against each tire with a 2 or 3 pound hammer. Then drive up onto them. The center jack point is about even with the back of the rotors - unusually far back. Someone has a photo of it somewhere on fitfreak. Then of course simply let the car down onto jack stands, placed under the reinforced areas of the pinch weld behind each front wheel.

Quick Reply: rotating tires