3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Best Garmin GPS location

Old 07-25-2018, 08:09 AM
Best Garmin GPS location

I want to add my GPS device to the car but I don't want it on the windshield. I want to use the cup holder type mount. I found that the drives side upper cup holder would be the best location for me to add my Garmin GPS. The problem is I don't want to block the air vents. Has anyone found a good solution to this.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
I use this in one of the center console cupholders but it might be flexible enough to do what you want ...

Name:  cupholder.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  12.3 KB

Old 07-25-2018, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Mine is on a suction cup mount attached to the left side quarter window.

Not the answer you wanted, but it works for me.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, Uncle Gary and I have the Garmin mounted in the same spot in the left quarter window and nestling in the space above the dash vent above the cupholder.

I find this a much better location than the windshield because it doesn't impede the front view, and there isn't that much of a side view with those thick A-pillars anyway. If there's a slight negative to that location, I find myself entering addresses with my left hand, but that's not a biggie for me.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
I like my Garmin GPS here.

Attached Thumbnails Best Garmin GPS location-3ae_5438.jpg  
Old 07-25-2018, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Mine is on a suction cup mount attached to the left side quarter window.

Not the answer you wanted, but it works for me.

I have one mounted there also..

Old 07-26-2018, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nicholasG
I want to add my GPS device to the car but I don't want it on the windshield. I want to use the cup holder type mount. I found that the drives side upper cup holder would be the best location for me to add my Garmin GPS. The problem is I don't want to block the air vents. Has anyone found a good solution to this.
I see you have a 2018 EX-L. Just curious as to why you would choose to use a standalone GPS over using Waze (love Waze...) or Google maps thru Android Auto/Apple Carplay? I guess it could be a data use issue, or an issue in areas of non-coverage? Since picking up my new Fit, I have really been loving the Android Auto...

Old 07-26-2018, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by UnFitRick
I see you have a 2018 EX-L. Just curious as to why you would choose to use a standalone GPS over using Waze (love Waze...) or Google maps thru Android Auto/Apple Carplay? I guess it could be a data use issue, or an issue in areas of non-coverage? Since picking up my new Fit, I have really been loving the Android Auto...
Good question. You hit the nail on the head. Data use. I've been trying to find out how much data Apple, Google and Waze maps uses and i'm getting conflicting information. As an example. If I use Apple car play with Apple maps and have the map showing as I'm driving but I don't have a destination set, am I using data? I can't seem to get an answer to this question.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
Good question. You hit the nail on the head. Data use. I've been trying to find out how much data Apple, Google and Waze maps uses and i'm getting conflicting information. As an example. If I use Apple car play with Apple maps and have the map showing as I'm driving but I don't have a destination set, am I using data? I can't seem to get an answer to this question.
Android here, but you are. I can show you the phone bill where I learned this.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by exl500
Android here, but you are. I can show you the phone bill where I learned this.
So you are saying that just having the map up I'm using data?

Old 07-26-2018, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
I realize I am taking your thread a little off topic, but maybe a review of cell phone plans is in order. Not too long ago I changed my Verizon plan from 15GB/month family shared data to unlimited. It actually ended up costing less and eliminated my need to limit certain family members data usage.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:35 AM
I think I found a good solution to the my GPS mount. The unique cup holder on the Fit may be a great place for this Sun Visor mount and not block the air vent.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
I think I found a good solution to the my GPS mount. The unique cup holder on the Fit may be a great place for this Sun Visor mount and not block the air vent.
I didn't find it stable enough when I use the touch screen. The GPS flops all over the place. Failed.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by wasserball
I didn't find it stable enough when I use the touch screen. The GPS flops all over the place. Failed.
Maybe putting a padding in to tighten up the fit would work. Anyway thanks for the heads-up. .

Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
So you are saying that just having the map up I'm using data?
Yes, because the maps aren’t stored on your phone, but are continually downloaded as you drive.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:33 PM

Yes, because the maps aren’t stored on your phone, but are continually downloaded as you drive.
Thanks very much for the clarification.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 PM

It is important to note that Google Maps does indeed give the option to use maps in off-line mode.
They are downloaded to your phone, and remain static, until updated (via Wi-Fi for example)
You do not get real-time traffic info and have to plan ahead (where are you going to be when you need directions) but you can use any capable phone, even without a SIM card.
For travel in Europe I often use MAPS.ME app (also in static mode)
Saves you a ton on roaming charges. And again, your phone needs no plan just for GPS function.
But it needs to have a built-in GPS hardware.
Unfortunately, as far as I know this does not work with Android Auto. But my car does not have it, so...
I use my phone standalone and on a budget.

Last edited by vinylengraver; 07-30-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:46 AM
Finally found what I think is the best mounting device and location for the car. The company is ProClip https://www.proclipusa.com.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Personally, I love my dedicated navigation GPS Garmin. And mine is old.
I like NOT having to use my phone.

Garmin has fought back with some really nice "Systems" that offer a lot of benefits and features all in one.

We are definitely however living in the age of the "Smart Phone", a tool everyone expects to do, a Swiss Army Knife number of tasks.

Maybe I'm just becoming Jurassic, in so much as I remember when you bought a Phone, A Camera, A Walkman, all as separate products.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Personally, I love my dedicated navigation GPS Garmin. And mine is old.
I like NOT having to use my phone.

Garmin has fought back with some really nice "Systems" that offer a lot of benefits and features all in one.

We are definitely however living in the age of the "Smart Phone", a tool everyone expects to do, a Swiss Army Knife number of tasks.

Maybe I'm just becoming Jurassic, in so much as I remember when you bought a Phone, A Camera, A Walkman, all as separate products.
I think you're right. Dedicated is ALWAYS better than all-in-one. Also, cell towers are on the ground while GPS is on satellites. If cell towers go down or interfered with like, rural or mountainous areas etc..., you're sunk. Data may also be an issue. Off line maps are good as long as you don't alter your route. If that's being Jurassic I'm joining the club.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Garmin GPS location