3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Factory Flood

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I recall back in ‘14/‘15 it took months of waiting to even SEE a GK Fit, let alone buy one.

It’s like deja vu all over again.
Tell me about it! I got the 3rd Fit and first red one in June 2014 in one of the biggest Tampa dealerships. Win!

Old 08-01-2018, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by magnet18
Just got out of the dealer shopping for a new fit

I found out that there are currently no white 2019 fit sports with manual transmissions in existence, because that factory flooded!
if you had hoped to get a new 2019 sport, there aren't any coming from the factory anytime soon

They said one of the other models comes from there as well, not sure which

Thought people would be interested

(I put $500 down and they're hunting for a white 2018 sport manual! They said there's 4 in the country, I think)

I feel your pain. When I bought my 2017 I wanted a red manual transmission with blue as a secondary choice. The closest red was 450 miles away. They found a blue one 60 miles away which is what I took. In retrospect I should have ridden with a porter or salesman the 450 miles and drove it back myself. Ironically, at the time all I could find were silver or white MT LX Fit's. LOL

Old 08-01-2018, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Borgus
What tint did you go with? What percentage is that? Mind sharing how much you paid? I'm looking to do the same to mine. Thanks
Sorry, missed your post. It's 20% and I paid $140. I don't recall the brand; decent but not the high dollar stuff. I've known the installer for many years; he does good work...

Old 08-02-2018, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Helios
The whole plant got flooded when the river ran over. They’re down until mid November was the last notice I received.

It’s effecting my work and and I’m in Ohio. It’s an international economy these days. More or less North America is all connected when it comes to automotive. Mexico is just the final assembly point on this car.
What bunch of idiots build a factory along a river, on the flood plain?

I speak from experience, having to clean up and rebuild the factory where I worked after TWO “once in 500 year” floods five years apart. After the second flood, the company wised up and built a new factory on high ground, near the highway.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary

What bunch of idiots build a factory along a river, on the flood plain?

I speak from experience, having to clean up and rebuild the factory where I worked after TWO “once in 500 year” floods five years apart. After the second flood, the company wised up and built a new factory on high ground, near the highway.
Some actuary got the risk numbers wrong, some land owner bribed some surveyer to make it look less risky than it is...

Or, possibly some manager thousands of miles away trying to present pretty looking spreadsheets so he can get a promotion and GTFO before it hits the fan

It's really easy for a company to fall for the juicy numbers of outsourcing and then loose big on stuff like this. The advantages of doing it right under your nose are huge, but it's a hard sell when the alternative is to build the "same" car/widget 50% cheaper overseas, management gets dollar bills for eyes and start daydreaming about rolling around in a pool of money from their new corner office because all they need to do is make sure the outsourcing project is "managed correctly" buy some poor schmuch 2 levels below them...

</rant>