3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Aftermarket LED reflector tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 07:21 AM
Aftermarket LED reflector tail lights

Amazon and from the vendor itself or marketing these 14 LED brake and tail lights that go in place of the upper reflectors and unbolt with the two bolts in pop right in with probably some minor squeezing of the trim to get it in place. My question would be pertaining to the wiring on this since there's only wiring from the license plate lamp and the third brake light the instructions I saw online for this accessory had the wires routed externally and it looks kind of messy down to the brake lights what would keep you from grounding each side and running a wire for the tail lights to the license plate lamp and then the brake light wire to the third brake light this will keep wiring inside the tailgates

https://youtu.be/SgFJyYIAYwQ

Old 08-03-2018, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BigSpark
Amazon and from the vendor itself or marketing these 14 LED brake and tail lights that go in place of the upper reflectors and unbolt with the two bolts in pop right in with probably some minor squeezing of the trim to get it in place. My question would be pertaining to the wiring on this since there's only wiring from the license plate lamp and the third brake light the instructions I saw online for this accessory had the wires routed externally and it looks kind of messy down to the brake lights what would keep you from grounding each side and running a wire for the tail lights to the license plate lamp and then the brake light wire to the third brake light this will keep wiring inside the tailgates

I assume
these are the lights these are the lights
you are referring to from Amazon? That youtube video is not so great, and I agree that your approach keeping all the wiring in the hatch itself is a much better plan. I haven't searched the forum here but I've got to believe that someone here has done this mod... If/when you do it, please document and share here?

One of the reviewers on Amazon said that he "...hooked them up so that they come on when the brakes are applied (white wire on each side to the center brake light) and when the turn signals come on (red wire on each side to each side turn signal lamp); this makes it so that the turn signals on these lights flashing are brighter than the brake lights so that the turn signals are visible when the brakes are applied. It's easy for drivers behind me to see when my brakes and/or turn signals are applied.."

So he was able to get his ground and brake wires from inside the hatch, but would have had to go to outside the hatch for the turn signals. Although not going outside the hatch and just using center brake light and license plate lights would be the most convenient, I like the idea of using the LEDS for brake and turn signal, vice brake and parking lights.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:00 AM
I appreciate the quick reply I wasn't trying to throw anybody off with the YouTube link just so that somebody could see what I was talking about kind of rambling with the voice to text while driving all night. I wonder if there's anybody from the forums that has this product first and then could give a little review or tips I suppose it's better than nothing I just don't want to get too carried away with modifications I got this vehicle for its utilitarian and good gas mileage among the other smaller but beneficial things

Old 08-03-2018, 10:14 AM
I love the idea, would need to see more pictures. It looks like they're a bit of a different color than the original tail lights, and that wouldn't be cool

Aren't there some JDM ones floating around out there somewhere as well?

Old 08-31-2018, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
So... rather than start a new one, it looks like I am about to hi-jack your thread.

Originally Posted by magnet18
Aren't there some JDM ones floating around out there somewhere as well?
I found these for ~$600. Thread here.
I love the idea, would need to see more pictures. It looks like they're a bit of a different color than the original tail lights, and that wouldn't be cool
So, you need to see more pictures?

With "$10 off" they were $86 delivered from these guys. I ordered them on Sun and they showed up on Fri. I intend to install them tomorrow, and will of course take additional pics. If they don't work out I'll just slap the dummy lenses back in (after I Plastidip them black...).

Old 08-31-2018, 09:15 PM
Well you did better than me mine were $95 shipped I installed them today we'll have to see how long they last for they're quite bright and by the time I get up from this nap will see what they look like at night I kept all the wiring in the side the tailgate to keep it simple and because my wiring skills are none without the lights on during the daytime of course daytime running lights going they act just as brake lights if you turn on the lights at night they work as running lights but I did only wire them to the license plate lamp and the third brake light we'll have to see how long they last but if they start looking like junk I can always unplug the connector which I put just outside of that grommet and the housing so I could always unplug them and put the old ones back in

Old 09-01-2018, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
...more pictures. It looks like they're a bit of a different color than the original tail lights...
I pulled the dummies off this morning. The lens colors look spot on to me.

Well you did better than me mine were $95 shipped I installed them today we'll have to see how long they last for they're quite bright and by the time I get up from this nap will see what they look like at night I kept all the wiring in the side the tailgate to keep it simple and because my wiring skills are none without the lights on during the daytime of course daytime running lights going they act just as brake lights if you turn on the lights at night they work as running lights but I did only wire them to the license plate lamp and the third brake light we'll have to see how long they last but if they start looking like junk I can always unplug the connector which I put just outside of that grommet and the housing so I could always unplug them and put the old ones back in
After giving it some thought, I believe I will wire them up as you have, using third brake light and license plate lights keeping all the wiring in the hatch.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by UnFitRick
I pulled the dummies off this morning. The lens colors look spot on to me.

After giving it some thought, I believe I will wire them up as you have, using third brake light and license plate lights keeping all the wiring in the hatch.
Sounds like a plan, keeping wires inboard. I took the lazy man's way out and Plastidipped mine black, looks great on a black LX

Old 09-01-2018, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
I got the lights installed this morning. Wiring was pretty simple. I tapped the light green wire behind the third stop light, and the grey wire behind a license plate light.

They look stock to me. Maybe I'll make a video tonight to show their operation. FWIW these pics are with the parking lights on...

Old 09-01-2018, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
I've thought about getting those too, but the ones I've seen look really dim compared to the stock brake lights. Hopefully they've made some improvements.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I've thought about getting those too, but the ones I've seen look really dim compared to the stock brake lights. Hopefully they've made some improvements
They definitely won't be dim compared to what was in there to begin with...

Old 09-01-2018, 04:37 PM
they are bright AF.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Here's a quick video. The sequence is 1) brakes, 2) tail lights, 3) tail lights & brakes, 4) tail lights...

https://youtu.be/nkViMAV-oyo

Old 09-01-2018, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Nice. Lighting looks pretty even. I may have to pick up a set.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:06 PM

this is another view from dusk.

Last edited by BigSpark; 09-01-2018 at 10:09 PM. Reason: image didn't upload
Old 02-06-2021, 02:48 PM
Check out my post under my profile. I kept the wiring within the hatch and tapped to

Originally Posted by UnFitRick
I assume these are the lights you are referring to from Amazon? That youtube video is not so great, and I agree that your approach keeping all the wiring in the hatch itself is a much better plan. I haven't searched the forum here but I've got to believe that someone here has done this mod... If/when you do it, please document and share here?

One of the reviewers on Amazon said that he "...hooked them up so that they come on when the brakes are applied (white wire on each side to the center brake light) and when the turn signals come on (red wire on each side to each side turn signal lamp); this makes it so that the turn signals on these lights flashing are brighter than the brake lights so that the turn signals are visible when the brakes are applied. It's easy for drivers behind me to see when my brakes and/or turn signals are applied.."

So he was able to get his ground and brake wires from inside the hatch, but would have had to go to outside the hatch for the turn signals. Although not going outside the hatch and just using center brake light and license plate lights would be the most convenient, I like the idea of using the LEDS for brake and turn signal, vice brake and parking lights.

Checkout my post under my profile. I drew a quick diagram showing how I did jt