3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

First mods: seeking input from fellow freaks and wise old heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or dumb.
Friendly, benign, nonconfrontational banter of course...

Apparently you have not examined my body of work here on FitFreak (during my short tenure). I am however curious as to why you have a picture of a Miata in your FitFreak signature? It's still a free country but this is, after all, a Fit forum...

Maybe CyclingFit was right about the purple letters...

Old 08-07-2018, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by UnFitRick
Friendly, benign, nonconfrontational banter of course...

Apparently you have not examined my body of work here on FitFreak (during my short tenure). I am however curious as to why you have a picture of a Miata in your FitFreak signature? It's still a free country but this is, after all, a Fit forum...

Maybe CyclingFit was right about the purple letters...
It isn't a Miata? It is instead the best car Honda has ever built & sold in the US.

Built in Tochigi alongside Honda's other two best achievements, the NSX and first generation Insight.

I have a Fit, I've had my previous Fits in my signature, my current Fit is stock and we all know what a stock Orange Burst Metallic GE8 looks like, my S2000 is the car I actually enjoy out of the two.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
HEADS UP ..... mr. I'm shopping for car parts .... there will be a 15% off coupon effective tomm

https://slickdeals.net/f/11910583-eb...0-starts-08-08

now would be a good time, to secure that ktuner, or exhaust

your hks silent hi power would come out to $273.74 after said coupon
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HKS-32016-A...LH_TitleDesc=0

Old 08-07-2018, 02:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
mike i think he was just kidding about ur s2k being a miata cause u keep referring to it as miata.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:02 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that HKS evil posted looks nice. id still go for da tanabe though if available for GK.. cheap and good sound.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up on the eBay coupon evil! I'm going to share that on my GD deals thread. Hard to find any kind of good deals on our old junk.

OP, I like the way you're headed. Suspension mods and wheels/tires are always a good mod and exhaust and intake are fun. On a Fit you're not likely to find any real performance gain with the exhaust or intake, but that doesn't mean it won't add some driving fun. Just keep it tame so you don't end up with one of those loud, slow cars.

One other thing I'd consider is brakes. Better fluid and pads can make a noticeable difference.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't say a rear sway bar transforms the driving experience, but subjectively, it improves the feel enough that I think it's worth it. Especially because it's relatively cheap and easy to install.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Thanks for the heads up on the eBay coupon evil!
my pleasure!

in my ebay cart, I'm ready to fire as soon as the coupon is live. its a toss up between clazzio leather seat covers, or a dewalt 1/2 impact gun.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:07 PM
I do not know if this constitutes a "real mod" in your eyes, but my suggestion would be window tint. This is always the first thing I do with any new (or new-to-me) car that I do. Improves the aesthetics and helps keep a cooler, more private interior - form and function!

After that, anything that you touch consistently (hey now) or affects the way you see would be #2. Shifting, steering wheel, lighting upgrades, etc.

I like the post about having an idea or unifying theme for what you want to do. My addendum to that would be to be open to change if you decide you do not like the direction you are going or grow tired of it. The car is a canvas, you are the artist.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
HEADS UP ..... mr. I'm shopping for car parts .... there will be a 15% off coupon effective tomm

You, sir, are dangerous to my wallet.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
You, sir, are dangerous to my wallet.
and equally as dangerous, to my own wallet ..... I'm learning towards those clazzio's.... lol

clazzio = want
dewalt impact gun = need

(and no, I wont buy both, I gotta exhibit self control)

Old 08-07-2018, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
I wouldn't say a rear sway bar transforms the driving experience, but subjectively, it improves the feel enough that I think it's worth it. Especially because it's relatively cheap and easy to install.
I can't speak for the GK, but the Progress bar was a HUGE change to our GD. Not just in handling, but in straight line stability on the highway. I think the rear beam is just weak and allows too much flex. A stiffer welded rear beam would be even better, but the bar is cheap enough.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:27 PM
and equally as dangerous, to my own wallet ..... I'm learning towards those clazzio's.... lol

clazzio = want
dewalt impact gun = need

(and no, I wont buy both, I gotta exhibit self control)
That Dewalt is a gateway tool. You will find yourself falling further and further down the rabbit hole of modifications. More than you already do.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:45 PM
to add to the pain further:

Old 08-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Mr. happy I saved some money on car parts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HKS-32016-A...LH_TitleDesc=0
Big thanks for the eBay heads-up, just in time. You sir, just saved me $100, and saving some dough is my favorite thing ever. I just love gettin me a deal - how bout $266 for that HKS Silent Hi-Power and $255 for the Swift springs?!? Can’t beat that. I threw in a tow hook plate mount and a set of rain guards just to be sure and get the max discount of $100. Thank you and thank you again.

I was gonna just automatically get the Progress RSB (cheapest I’ve found that is $160 shipped from SCW, nothing close on eBay). But I’m gonna hold off on that until after the springs are on. I figure the springs might tighten things up and clean up the handling enough to make me happy. Of course, if I still feel like it can benefit from an RSB after the springs, I can just throw it on. I’ll use the money to get er tinted, I’d love to go dark all around but I’d get busted so fast it’d make my head spin. Po-po likes to profile on a little Honda, it’s a fact. I drove around in a Tacoma with blacked out windows for years, never got bothered. Ah well, I’ll keep it light, better than nothing. Wheels can wait, and now they’ll look good on the drop when I do get something more to my taste. Something with some lip to it and maybe rear spacers to bump the back wheels out a bit.

To get back to THE most important mod of all - What exactly do we use for red Honda badges front and rear? (As far as size or cross-model compatibility - like, is it the same as a Civic or something easier to find than Fit?) Sorry if this is the lazy way to find out, figured I’d ask while I had some Honda Red aficionados in the room!

And hey, I didn’t want to quote each post and thank you all individually, I’m already long winded enough... But thanks to everyone for dropping in and really being cool about helping out a new guys build. Good peeps. Except for that one guy, and you know who you are! No, but really, thanks all, I appreciate it.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by UnFitParent
To get back to THE most important mod of all - What exactly do we use for red Honda badges front and rear? (As far as size or cross-model compatibility - like, is it the same as a Civic or something easier to find than Fit?) Sorry if this is the lazy way to find out, figured I’d ask while I had some Honda Red aficionados in the room!
Yes, on to the important stuff. Rear emblem:

As installed on my car:

Here is a pic of the front one (75700-SLJ-003) as installed on MattVR's car. Mine will be here Friday...

Old 08-09-2018, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for this. You saved me about $70 bucks on the Tanabe. I've been eyeballing this for two years but got sidetracked on other my other cars.

Steve

Old 08-11-2018, 01:58 PM
What the deal is bro?

Originally Posted by mike410b
It isn't a Miata? It is instead the best car Honda has ever built & sold in the US.

Built in Tochigi alongside Honda's other two best achievements, the NSX and first generation Insight.

I have a Fit, I've had my previous Fits in my signature, my current Fit is stock and we all know what a stock Orange Burst Metallic GE8 looks like, my S2000 is the car I actually enjoy out of the two.
Hey, don’t be defensive... Your Miata is cute! And hey -

Why don’t we just all pretend it’s perfectly normal to join a group of Fit enthusiasts while proclaiming that you don’t enjoy your Fit and taking every opportunity to defecate on other people’s ideas, dreams, and passions? (Also super normal to go into GK threads to do same while not even owning a GK...run out of things to poop on?) What could be more fun than interjecting negativity, contradiction, and irrelevance into a positive, upbeat group of people who DO enjoy their cars? Youve just plainly stated that you do not enjoy the vehicle to which this forum is dedicated, which makes your presence here slightly perplexing. Literally every time I have seen a wildly inappropriate and completely unhelpful reply, there’s your name on it. What gives?

Im the kinda guy if you bought a new Yugo I’d be all “WOW, super nice, congratulations!” because like many non-sociopaths I enjoy happiness and enjoy making other people happy. At the very least, I certainly wouldn’t TRY to make them UNhappy. It’s hard for me to imagine taking any pleasure in saying “Oh you got a new Yugo? That was a terrible decision. Are you aware that they are total pieces of garbage waiting to implode with you inside? And by the by, I own a Yugo aaaand a Miata and I actually enjoy my Miata, it’s fierce”

Cmon man, we’re a community... We help each other out, we stick together, we learn from each other’s mistakes. We share a passion for the Fit and it’s many mods. If you don’t share that passion, that’s cool... but this isn’t the appropriate place to express that ad infinitum.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
I got tired of his antics.

To engage him, is counter productive. I went ahead and exercised my right to ignore the guy, I recommend more of you guys join me:

Old 08-11-2018, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
I'm old! Might be wise too. YMMV

Progress rear sway bar makes the car corner much flatter. You won't be going around turns any more quickly. But you may feel more confident. Many many satisfied owners out there of this inexpensive mod. Don't let it make you think it's magically given you more grip, it hasn't, it would only pay off that way in quick L/R/L transitions

From what I know, intakes and exhaust net you very little in the way of performance on this engine, unless by "performance" you mean "childish noises." A aftermarket filter or intake can improve your intake flow, but consensus is you could do the whole intake/exhaust route and still the gains would be (nonzero but) small - mostly limited to top end RPM. There isn't a whole lot of "unlocked potential" for an engine this small that already has variable valve timing.

It's a bit late now but if you have a new Fit Sport and a few thousand dollars, why not get a civic Turbo instead? Anyway, best not to think about that. Let's move on.

Personally I would advice lighter tires and wheels as the first serious performance mod. Although I have not done it myself (I rarely like the look of aftermarket wheels, and the new tires I went for more wet traction and stability, didn't save me any oz at all ... oops)

Quick Reply: First mods: seeking input from fellow freaks and wise old heads