3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

First mods: seeking input from fellow freaks and wise old heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by UnFitParent
Hey, don’t be defensive... Your Miata is cute! And hey...
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I got tired of his antics...
The wife and I drove up to Annapolis today to drop the Bisimoto off with its new owner and I come home to this? UFP, I feel largely responsible for muddying up your thread; I am sorry about that. I do try to keep it pithy...

Old 08-13-2018, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
From what I know, intakes and exhaust net you very little in the way of performance on this engine, unless by "performance" you mean "childish noises." A aftermarket filter or intake can improve your intake flow, but consensus is you could do the whole intake/exhaust route and still the gains would be (nonzero but) small - mostly limited to top end RPM. There isn't a whole lot of "unlocked potential" for an engine this small that already has variable valve timing.

Personally I would advice lighter tires and wheels as the first serious performance mod
The intake and exhaust, made for very tiny gains. It does make the car sound rad though (ymmv on the term "rad")

If I could do it all over again, I would go with the Ktuner and entirely skip the intake and exhaust.

+1 on the advice for wheels and tires, ever since I went with 10.9lb wheels and 16lb tires, the car does feel like it takes off with a bit more "zip"

Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
duplicate post

Old 08-13-2018, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
I wish I had a cheap dyno near me, because I think the RV6 downpipe might give a decent gain in power. It felt like it made a difference, where swapping the muffler didn't seem to do much but change the sound.

I suspect the HPS cold air intake is the only common aftermarket that works well, just because all the short ram ones pull hot air in. I'd really like to see dyno results on this intake when it ships, might be worth it.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...da-intake.html

Old 08-13-2018, 03:23 PM
I did check out the Civic (and I’ve owned one too). There’s a few reasons I went with the Fit... none of them performance or msrp related. I didn’t settle for the Fit, and decide I’d try to make it a Civic. I love the Fit, so I bought it (knowing all about what it is, what it does well and not so well, etc) Ive modded Avery car and bike I’ve ever had, not because they weren’t “good enough” but from a desire to make them unique, beautiful, and better FOR ME. Our cars (or bikes) are part of our style, just like clothes or haircuts or tattoos...

I don’t expect any massive gains from any mod, from my perspective it’s more about smoothing any rough edges and making the car ‘mine’. People seem to get almost angry about the idea of “tuning” this little car - several rants on the order of “YOU CANT TURN THIS INTO A FERRARI”... Well, no. But on any car, regardless of engine size, you can help it be the best it can be and look badass. With a subcompact with a tiny 4 banger that usually means tweaking the suspension a bit, lightening wheels/tires, and helping it breathe better. I would argue that on a smaller, non-performance oriented car, those little tweaks make a BIGGER felt difference. Personally, I’m not thinking about HP gains, but let’s say I was - a Bisimoto pipe paired with an intake could net you something like +10hp - that’s HUGE on a 130hp, 2500lb car. Throw on some lighter wheels and tighten the suspension up... You will feel that fur shur. More important than the numbers (to me) is the more refined feel and response of a car that’s been treated to some goodies. Better response when passing on the highway for instance, less sluggish takeoffs from stop, less body roll/lean. Cars are made with the average driver in mind, it’s only natural to make it more suited to the one and only you.

All statistics aside, this car is gobdang fun to drive - and I aim to make it even more fun. That’s all. I never thought it was gonna be a Ferrari.Improved handling as you take that onramp at a hair-raising pace, a satisfying growl as you flick through gears, the added “quickness” from a lighter wheel/tire combo - these are all easily achieved, and add to the fun. Nuthin wrong with fun.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
preach

the ktuner I believe was a whopping 5 hp increase for me, but in the real world it feels like its much more. something like passing on the highway in 5th or 6th gear above 65mph is now something do able .... whereas in stock form, it was more of a "I hope they let me merge .... eventually" scenario

agreed on tightening up the car as well, the car went from fun, to TONS of fun.

lookin forward to some great things from ya UFP

Old 08-13-2018, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
just one more thing, here's a SUPER fun mod I did, and was cheap ... and the results were night and day. You'd love this one UFP

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...roll-stop.html

Old 08-28-2018, 07:02 PM
Finally got some stuff on...

Thanks guys for all the help!
I managed to get the HKS pipe on, and LOVE it. Not too loud, but makes driving and shifting quite a bit o’ fun. I wouldn’t want to go much louder, although I think the sound is a little bit amplified inside the cabin if you have the windows down especially. When it drives by, it sounds much more subtle than you’d think from inside the car. I used the Honda hanger that HKS recommends, but it was way off center on the Sport notch. So luckily, there’s a weld up above the drivers side hanger and I ran a zip tie under it and pulled the rubber hanger up and over - presto - centered pipe!

Installed a a set of pedals, cheap Sparco... but I like the simple old skool diamond plate aluminum, it’s a classic. I modified the clutch pedal, it comes the exact same size as the brake, which 1) ain’t right and 2) bottomed out on the floor mat. Oh yeah, got a set of Max liners too! Whole set with cargo liner for $195ish. They look great, but being hard plastic they wear a bit rough as you can see from my heel mark lol.

Cheap Mugen rep rain visors, fitment was actually not so bad. I didn’t expect much for $25 and figured what the hell, but they fit well. Installed some eBay eyebrows as well, again good fit for Chinese crap! I like em.

Last but but certainly not least, RED H EMBLEM! I did just the back, I have it in mind to maybe do a grill replacement and I’m cheap, so I didn’t want to spend money on the front badge! I know it’s not strictly legit, but I REALLY like the black/red emblem and it works for me soooo, live with it all you JDM purists.

Next up - install Swift springs,wheels and tires, tint, and start into the little tweaks and bits! It’s a fun car to toy with, and fun to drive. I’m happy.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
i spy:

-stubby antenna
-shift knob
-cant tell if that shift boot is oem? (mine does not have fancy red stitching)
-race pedals
-ash tray or coin holder inside the cup holder
-front license plate reflector so you can be a bad boy and run stop lights and defeat those pesky camera tickets

Old 08-28-2018, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Another thing I noticed is the scuff protector sticker thing on the threshold.

Looks good.

I see the trim piece near the left cup holder is not in tight. A lot of cars come that way. It's easy to pop off and reattach fully.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:21 PM
Stitchy boots and red light shoots

i spy:

-stubby antenna
-shift knob
-cant tell if that shift boot is oem? (mine does not have fancy red stitching)
-race pedals
-ash tray or coin holder inside the cup holder
-front license plate reflector so you can be a bad boy and run stop lights and defeat those pesky camera tickets
Yes, shift boot is OE, part of the Sport trim... We don’t have a collar, so I put a magnet ring under the nut (which is under the Blox knob) I intended to fix the magnet to the boot, so it would pull the boot up to the knob, but it’s close enough. I had doubts about the magnet staying adhered to the boot (was gonna try hot glue?)

The plate covers are just for looks, I think it’s just a bit more ‘polished’ than a bare plate. I’m very good about not running lights, as a biker (when I’m not a FitFreak). Riding motorcycles for 20 years has made me a more conscientious cager (also has made me never trust a green light, always check first!) We got one of those red light tickets in the mail, and it was my wife in our Tacoma... I couldn’t see her head, but I knew it wasn’t me! I know how she is, so before I showed it to her I said “Where were you at 1:46 on June 12th?” and she’s all “IDK”... I go “Were you driving down Main St. in the truck?” and she goes “Oh yeah, I was because yada yada yada, how do YOU know?” Lol, BUSTED, and here’s your $80 ticket dear.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:38 PM
Easy says you

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Another thing I noticed is the scuff protector sticker thing on the threshold.

Looks good.

I see the trim piece near the left cup holder is not in tight. A lot of cars come that way. It's easy to pop off and reattach fully.
Hey, thanks for noticing! The door sills always get scuffed up and I hate that... These stickers were super cheap, so I figured I’d try em and worst case chuck em. But they’re not bad at all. It was a universal set, and since the back door only has like 2” sills at the bottom, even the smaller rear stickers were too big. I suppose you could cut them.

I like the Honda door sills without the leds, except for them having a big ‘FIT’ logo... Idk, @ $2 a set I can just replace my stickers as needed. Now I just need some CF parts to tie them in. I like a little CF on gray/silver or white/black cars.

Lmao, that loose trim piece IS the fixed one! Not only did I reinstall it, I bought a whole new piece. The original was way looser even. This one is better, but as you see, not perfect. Either my protrusions are too small or my holes are too big - story of my life.