Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Swift Springs with stock 95K shocks = bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Red face Swift Springs with stock 95K shocks = bad idea?

Ok So I just read the whole review thread on swift springs and I am really tempted into buying them. Everyone seems to say good things about them.
The thing is, I bought a used 08 fit and it has around 95K on it. Is it a bad idea to get these springs and keep to old stock shocks?
I am a student and I don’t drive a lot. Also this car is just my daily driver and so it’s never going to be pushed hard aside for some spirited driving.

As a side note, I also plan on getting some 15x7 konig Heliums or 15x6.5 TRMotorsport C1Ms.
What mod would be better first, the wheels or the springs?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Get both springs and shocks at the same time.

No point doing an install twice and your OEM shocks are definitely ready to be replaced.

As for wheels, definitely after the suspension rejuvenation, just wasted money until your suspension is ready for wheels/tires..

Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Just do them both at the same time. If you can't afford to do everything at least get new front struts and do the rear shocks later. It's the fronts that take some effort to install since you have to disassemble to install the spring. The rear shocks are simple and easy to replace later if you want. Then again, the rears are cheap, so might as well do them all at that point.

If your doing it for looks I always saw drop before wheels, for performance, the other way around.

Last edited by Wanderer.; 09-30-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
^^ Cosign on this. Forgive me in advanced if this comes off as a ramble, I'm kind of brain dead from work and prepping for a road trip.

Anyway... You'll have to disassemble the front struts twice if you were to replace the struts AFTER installing the lowering springs AND will have to still align the vehicle afterwards.

As for wheels/tires, I personally would hold off till after the spring/damper install. The reason being is that you'll know your alignment will be in or close to spec (provided you didn't hit a major pot hole/have collision with curb, etc) prior to install. In addition to that any spring/damper sag due to worn components can negatively affect your vehicle's alignment as well as potentially influence abnormal tread wear (something to consider if you also are getting new tires with the wheels).

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents for now...

P.S. - TRMotorsport C1s are 15x7 not 15x6.5. Good wheel bang for your buck wise at 94 USD per wheel... I actually have 2 sets of them.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
^^ Cosign on this. Forgive me in advanced if this comes off as a ramble, I'm kind of brain dead from work and prepping for a road trip.

Anyway... You'll have to disassemble the front struts twice if you were to replace the struts AFTER installing the lowering springs AND will have to still align the vehicle afterwards.

As for wheels/tires, I personally would hold off till after the spring/damper install. The reason being is that you'll know your alignment will be in or close to spec (provided you didn't hit a major pot hole/have collision with curb, etc) prior to install. In addition to that any spring/damper sag due to worn components can negatively affect your vehicle's alignment as well as potentially influence abnormal tread wear (something to consider if you also are getting new tires with the wheels).

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents for now...

P.S. - TRMotorsport C1s are 15x7 not 15x6.5. Good wheel bang for your buck wise at 94 USD per wheel... I actually have 2 sets of them.
Ha ha! Yeah I was reading through posts when I saw your Fit. Thats how I got into the C1s, they look really nice.

Ok I had not considered the doing the install twice and aliment situation... Had a prolonged brain-fart from late night studies I suppose lol.

So yes, I guess I am going to hold off on getting both the shocks and springs at once. I just have to be patient
I was looking at Tokico Blues, I think I read somewhere that these worked with Swifts. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Also Wanderer mentioned that for looks drop first, for performance wheels first. How much of a difference will I feel with the lighter wheels? Is it really noticeable?
I am not sure which upgrade to do first.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
You won't gain anything performance related from slightly lighter wheels on a tired otherwise stock car.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 AM
I have about 130k on my shocks and put swifts on at 120k. The suspension feels a little rough to me.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
You won't gain anything performance related from slightly lighter wheels on a tired otherwise stock car.
Maybe not much, but you have wider tire options available with wider wheels, and more square sidewalls. The weight has more to do with unsprung weight and it's effect on suspension than speed. Fresh shocks are more important than springs when things start getting transitiony (not a word ha)

Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Oh I agree that shocks > springs in terms of performance, I just recommend doing suspension stuff, his OEM stuff is definitely blown at this point.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:55 PM
That is a good point, if not blown definitely weak, so for him yes that would be the best route. I was speaking in general terms and I should not since it is the OP asking the question

Old 10-01-2013, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
With that much mileage, I'd change the shocks along with the springs.. save install & alignment costs. And I'd do the drop before wheels (which is how I went).

Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah that's what I will do, I'm going to go ahead and save up and get the shocks and springs first. It seems the best way to go. The wheels shall come later!