3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Injector replacement at 25k

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjsmacks
Too funny but I am feeling the same right now about Honda. I need a commuter so have been looking around trying to find a non Honda product that would fit my needs. Matter of fact, Subaru has caught my attention!
I've owned 7 Subarus. The Fit is my first non-Subaru since 2001. If you want to know anything about them, pm me.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andre181
THIS!

I was 3 weeks out of the 3 year warranty when my car first threw the first CEL related to the fuel injection system. Honda didn't care.
Similar here, less than a month out of warranty and they didn't give a shit. This is the most problem prone car I have ever owned (that is less than 30 yrs old lol). I will never buy another Honda, ever.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:03 AM
Jesus im at nearly 50k on my early 2015 lx 6mt, all ive done is oil changes every 4-5k, 2 mtf fluid changes, brake fluid change and thats literally it. Anything else ive done is just mods. I drive the car hard, ONLY run chevron 91, and have exclusively ran idemitsu zepro 0w20 andvanced moly since i drained the factory fill. Never a missfire, failure of any kind, or any problem to speak of.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cichlid_visuals
Jesus im at nearly 50k on my early 2015 lx 6mt, all ive done is oil changes every 4-5k, 2 mtf fluid changes, brake fluid change and thats literally it. Anything else ive done is just mods. I drive the car hard, ONLY run chevron 91, and have exclusively ran idemitsu zepro 0w20 andvanced moly since i drained the factory fill. Never a missfire, failure of any kind, or any problem to speak of.
Well, you're doing all the right things...quality fuel, quality oil, reasonable oil change intervals, and driving it hard.

Most people run cheap oil and take it to 0% on the maintenance minder, use 87 octane fuel from cheap stations, and then drive it gently. Those are the ones that are likely to have problems, but that is also Honda's target market. People who want basic transportation and just follow the maintenance recommendations of Honda. They ignore that Honda's only goal is to get the vehicle past the warranty period and then sell them another car.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:42 AM
What really cracks me up is honda was so afraid to scare off the frugal demographic, they failed to reccomend the fuel these motors actually require. They skirt around this in the owners manual, saying to run "at least" 87. What's even funnier is the acura ILX hybrid has a much lower compression, non direct injected l15a, yet they reccomend "premium grade fuel" to appeal to the upscale market and squeeze a few more mpgs to compliment its hybrid status.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Well, you're doing all the right things...quality fuel, quality oil, reasonable oil change intervals, and driving it hard.

Most people run cheap oil and take it to 0% on the maintenance minder, use 87 octane fuel from cheap stations, and then drive it gently. Those are the ones that are likely to have problems, but that is also Honda's target market. People who want basic transportation and just follow the maintenance recommendations of Honda. They ignore that Honda's only goal is to get the vehicle past the warranty period and then sell them another car.
I'm that guy, well except I don't go to 0% haha. Lowest I've gone is 5% and I'm at almost 65k with no problems so far. I use Murphy's (Walmart) 87 for my commuter car. I've only done oil/filter changes, air filters, a set of tires and the CVT fluid around 60k. Other than the Q/C issues covered under warranty/recalls I've had, it's driven fine and hasn't left me stranded. I use 0W-20 Quaker State 'cause it's the cheapest stuff. With my regular commute, I'm putting about 20k a year on it. If I don't get 200K out of this car, it'll probably be my last Honda (it is also my 1st).

My other vehicle is a 2004 4Runner with 165k on the clock. It gets convention 10w-40 and 87 also from Murphy.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:15 AM
I use Mobil 1 extended but change the oil around 5-10% and use Wix filters. We don't baby it but we don't abuse it but she is misfiring pretty good right now. I saw a vid on youtube where someone was replacing the injectors on a 2016 Pilot with the Earth Dreams engine due to misfire. Wife and I went out looking at cars this weekend to help decide if we just take a hit and trade it in or fix it and keep our fingers crossed we won't have to replace the injectors in another 50k. Sadly enough, saw a 2015 Civic at a reputable dealership and had to ask him what the crusties were in the back seat, just nasty.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:55 AM
Have you tried running a few tanks of chevron or shell 91? Try running a high quality injector cleaner, with a fresh tank of chevron or shell 91, then run a couple consecutive tanks of chevron or shell 91 after the injector cleaner treated tank full is gone. Drive it hard during this period of time. Its a small price to pay for something that could potentially un clog your injectors. The direct injection injector pulse is extremely high pressure, also there are tiny pinprick holes in the face of the injector for increased atomization of the fuel entering the combustion chamber. These kind of injectors can clog extremely easily if low quality, low grade, low detergency fuel is used, not necessarily a combination of those three things but any one of those three things can cause this failure. Report back to us after trying this, instead of getting rid of the car.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the ideas. I have been adding the fuel injector cleaner but have not used a shell/chevron 91 as there are none in my area, basically phillps 66 is all we get (very rural area). The closest Shell is about an hours drive but what the heck, may do it anyway. Don't know if the injector is clogged or malfunctioning but since I have been working on it I have driven the snot out of it, definitely not being nice. Started it up this morning to move it and it has been a couple of days since I last drove it, spitting and sputtering something awful. Am a bit concerned that if I drive it an hour to get some Shell that I may not make it back home. Anywho, I will see what I can do and thanks again.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:21 AM
Man sorry i assumed, thats gotta be difficult living in a rural area. I can confidently say you are experiencing one or more clogged injectors. If you could possibly film a small video of your symptoms, i may be able to shed some light on the situation. I am a former honda dealer technician, spent 5 years working for concord honda service department, and the gk fit was one of the last vehicles i had the pleasure of doing warranty work on. An electronic failure will more often then not, cause the entire cylinder its affecting to stop firing all together, what you describe sounds like a clog, and poor quality, low octane fuel will definitely foul the DI injectors.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:50 AM
Want to give a thanks to Ciclid_visuals for your ideas and assistance. Sad to say, I am about through on my second tank of 91 Shell and things seem to be getting worse. As mentioned, I live in a rural area with the closest Shell being an hour away so I drove into my small town, picked up some good fuel injector cleaner/additive, drove north an hour or so to help empty the tank then added the additive and Shell 91. I cleared the codes prior to the drive and did not have any upon my return home but I could feel the idle was still pretty choppy. The wife wanted to go look at cars so we drove the Fit most of the day feeling a miss here and there and had a pending P0302 the whole day. Coming home I could feel the car jerk now and then making me wonder if we would get home. Sometime during this car shopping trip I filled up with another tank of Shell 91 and have burned through about half of it. I started it this morning, it was coughing and hacking with the same pending P0302. Needless to say, this is the end of the road for it. The wife loves this car but she isn't going to spend the money to replace the injectors since the car is so young and will be trading it in next week on a Prius. We have been a Honda family for a long time with my 03 Civic getting 449k miles but her 06 Civic had I believe camber issues so tires wore bad (known issue), 11 CRV has the paint coming of the front bumper which is another known issue so I think we are done with Hondas for a bit. All in all, sorry to hijack the thread from the original poster and thanks for everyone's input.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:21 PM
Faulty Fuel Injectors at 20K

My 2016 Honda Fit just rolled 20,000 miles on the odometer. One day last week upon start up the engine would shudder and miss . I took in back to the Honda dealer and to my surprise they had to replace the fuel injectors. The cost of the injectors to replace was expensive. It was 20 days out of warranty and the bill came to $1500.00 .
Needless to say I was not happy about this. I would expect for Honda products to last longer than this. I take care of my vehicles. The only other problem I had was the front struts had to be replaced at 3000 miles which was covered under warranty. Now I have concerns. I bought HONDA because of QUALITY REPUTATION....now I wonder what trouble could be on the horizon.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dhodges
My 2016 Honda Fit just rolled 20,000 miles on the odometer. One day last week upon start up the engine would shudder and miss . I took in back to the Honda dealer and to my surprise they had to replace the fuel injectors. The cost of the injectors to replace was expensive. It was 20 days out of warranty and the bill came to $1500.00 .
Needless to say I was not happy about this. I would expect for Honda products to last longer than this. I take care of my vehicles. The only other problem I had was the front struts had to be replaced at 3000 miles which was covered under warranty. Now I have concerns. I bought HONDA because of QUALITY REPUTATION....now I wonder what trouble could be on the horizon.
You may want to try to contact Honda USA to see what they can do. Explain your case. Injectors should not be failing with that low mileage.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear your problem. Unless there is physical damage to the injectors, I would have an independent mechanic clean the injectors, or buy the injectors and have your local independent mechanic install them. I would never let the dealer charge me $1500 to replace 4 injectors.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
On one of Honda's technical bulletins (can't remember which one) dealing with the injector problem there is a note where Honda clearly states the injectors cannot be cleaned - they must be replaced. Every discussion posted by people affected by this problem they state that the only repair option being presented to them by dealerships is replacement.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
On one of Honda's technical bulletins (can't remember which one) dealing with the injector problem there is a note where Honda clearly states the injectors cannot be cleaned - they must be replaced. Every discussion posted by people affected by this problem they state that the only repair option being presented to them by dealerships is replacement.
The statement from Honda may be true. Since when will a dealer ever "fix" anything? They make more money by replacing items. If cleaning is not an option, then why are there so many cleaning products out there? Did Honda replace old with a new designed fuel injectors? If so, they are secretly passing the cost of a bad design on to their customers.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
Did Honda replace old with a new designed fuel injectors? If so, they are secretly passing the cost of a bad design on to their customers.
Yes, they did a redesign in early '16 and the rest of your statement is true.

The tsb calls for not only changing the faulty designed injectors, but also the fuel rail.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
If cleaning is not an option, then why are there so many cleaning products out there? Did Honda replace old with a new designed fuel injectors? If so, they are secretly passing the cost of a bad design on to their customers.
Well yes, as a matter of fact they redesigned the fuel injectors and by early 2016 the new version (with a new part number) was being used in production car assembly lines and in all repairs to existing cars already on the road which started having injector problems. And yes, Honda is passing on the replacement cost of bad design to their customers once their warranty is over.

As far as "why are there so many cleaning products out there", any fool who wants to spend his money on useless cleaning products will be accommodated by manufacturers happy to take his money for the products he thinks he needs. It's part of the free enterprise system.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Well yes, as a matter of fact they redesigned the fuel injectors and by early 2016 the new version (with a new part number) was being used in production car assembly lines and in all repairs to existing cars already on the road which started having injector problems. And yes, Honda is passing on the replacement cost of bad design to their customers once their warranty is over.

As far as "why are there so many cleaning products out there", any fool who wants to spend his money on useless cleaning products will be accommodated by manufacturers happy to take his money for the products he thinks he needs. It's part of the free enterprise system.
Fortunately, with over 55 years of driving experience I have never encountered fuel injector problems, so I have never purchased injector cleaning agents, nor have I purposely purchased tier one gasoline. Call it luck? Maybe the car god loves me.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-22-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:28 AM
2017 Fit

Hi - at 40k miles my 2017 Fit had all the thick dashlights come on...tpms, steering, etc. Took it in... Service said it misfired and needed a valve adjustment. Did that today under warranty... They claimed 3&4 valves were wonky and needed adjustment. On the way out the door they were all "well hopefully that will take care of the problem then it's not the injectors." We are now 8 hours later - 300 miles into a road trip for the holiday and all the dash lights came back on. So - doing further research. .. is this the same issue that the service bulletin addresses in the 15/16? Are others having issues with the 17? Of course the dealer says they've "never" seen such a thing before.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector replacement at 25k