3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Loving My Fit-Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Loving My Fit-Again

I picked up my 2015 Fit EXL on 9/815 new. In the past 3 years I've driven close to 22K miles. I also have a 2010 Fit Sport that i passed on to my wife in 2012, when I went crazy and bought the first of several expensive luxury cars. The 2010 is more fun to drive, and the aftermarket radio sounds great through the original speakers that came with the car. Every now and then I drive the 2010, and am reminded of the sharp contrast in the driving experience from the seemingly premium, but blah driving of the 2015. I do like my creature comforts and tech, so the 2015 suits me much better. I'm also quite the calm driver, using the econ button nearly all of the time. I had become quite frustrated with the infotainment and sound quality in the 2015, to the point that I was shopping for cars for a good period of time. I also wanted AWD for our harsh winters in upstate New York, HID or LED headlamps, and a heated steering wheel. I finally decided to come to my senses and re-embrace my Fit. Having replaced the 4 doors speakers, I have ordered an amplifier and compact subwoofer, the kind that will fit under a seat, rather that alert the world that I'm coming. I also bought an inexpensive steering wheel cover at Walmart because I'm not a fan of the steering as it is, in terms of feel. After getting the rubberized cover, I realized that it will help in winter, likely not as cold to the touch until the heats comes on. So now I'm really enjoying my Fit again, and will be even more happy when I get the audio upgrades completed in a few weeks. The 2015 Fit EXL has been extremely inexpensive to own and operate, and is able to haul all of my groceries, BJ's stuff, and much more as needed. My disdain for the yellow exterior color has not lessened any, and will likely not. Just wanted to say that "the Fit is go" LOL That was the tagline when I got my 2010 Fit Sport.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:22 AM
Some times all you need is a little break to rekindle that flame.

With cars, that is.

Not the wife.

They would not appreciate that.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
Also consider wrapping your steering wheel with a leather wrap. I disliked my the plastic steering wheel and installed a Wheelskins wrap and it's much better in the winter. Maybe the leather warms up faster?

I'm doing the audio upgrades too. Last week installed the rear door speakers and have the front door speakers and KSC11 sub in hand. I'm off the next week so I'm going to try to tackle the install.

Fit is my commuter car and it does everything I need. Sure it could be more comfortable and fast, but that would probably drive up the cost. I chose it for it's reliability, cost to purchase/maintain/insure and it's high MPG. It's delivered on all those.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
I owned a 2010...still pictured in my avatar.
Traded it in and took a break for a few years. Then came back and bought a 2016 EX.

Do not get me wrong. I like my 2016 but I agree with a lot of the observations about the 2010. The "negative" adjective I would apply to the 2016 in comparison to the 2010 would be that I feel the 2016 is more "homogenized". The interior, the handling, the suspension all seemed design to be a "mainstream", part of the Honda line decision.

The 2010 had a firmer, more go-kart driving feel. And the interior was not a "normal" entry level version of the Honda line. I liked the 2 glove boxes of the 2010, as well as the sloping, wave, dash design. Not to mention the Alice in Wonderland number of crazy cup holders.

It's been a few years, so maybe my memory is faulting me, but it also seemed to me that the 2010 had "better"- bigger side mirrors, and also bigger cut out windows on the front, reducing the forward blind spot. It's more difficult for me to adjust the side mirrors on the 2016 and hit that sweet spot of best visibility. It also seems to have a pretty bad blind spot beyond the front pillars, which I don't remember with the 2010.

The 2016 dash is beautiful. But entirely "normal". There was a bit of rebellious whimsy in the sloping design of the 2010's dash.

But don't get me wrong. I would recommend a new Honda Fit for anyone in the market. I really like mine. Especially the moon roof that came with the EX. But now after some ownership? I think if I was back in 2016, and looking for a Honda Fit, instead of buying a "new" Honda Fit, I might of looked at finding a "as new as possible" Gen 2 Honda Fit. From a technology and creature comforts POV the newer fits are more refined and more up to date. BUT...Honda got a LOT right with the previous generation and unfortunately seems to of lost some of the DNA when moving forward.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
...So now I'm really enjoying my Fit again, and will be even more happy when I get the audio upgrades completed in a few weeks. The 2015 Fit EXL has been extremely inexpensive to own and operate, and is able to haul all of my groceries, BJ's stuff, and much more as needed. My disdain for the yellow exterior color has not lessened any, and will likely not. Just wanted to say that "the Fit is go" LOL That was the tagline when I got my 2010 Fit Sport.
Slap some red H's on that yellow Fit and it will change your life...

Old 08-31-2018, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by UnFitRick
Slap some red H's on that yellow Fit and it will change your life...
Where can I find those?

Old 08-31-2018, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Also consider wrapping your steering wheel with a leather wrap. I disliked my the plastic steering wheel and installed a Wheelskins wrap and it's much better in the winter. Maybe the leather warms up faster?

I'm doing the audio upgrades too. Last week installed the rear door speakers and have the front door speakers and KSC11 sub in hand. I'm off the next week so I'm going to try to tackle the install.

Fit is my commuter car and it does everything I need. Sure it could be more comfortable and fast, but that would probably drive up the cost. I chose it for it's reliability, cost to purchase/maintain/insure and it's high MPG. It's delivered on all those.
I feel like the steering wheel cover I have will make enough of a difference, but we'll see how it goes.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I owned a 2010...still pictured in my avatar.
Traded it in and took a break for a few years. Then came back and bought a 2016 EX.

Do not get me wrong. I like my 2016 but I agree with a lot of the observations about the 2010. The "negative" adjective I would apply to the 2016 in comparison to the 2010 would be that I feel the 2016 is more "homogenized". The interior, the handling, the suspension all seemed design to be a "mainstream", part of the Honda line decision.

The 2010 had a firmer, more go-kart driving feel. And the interior was not a "normal" entry level version of the Honda line. I liked the 2 glove boxes of the 2010, as well as the sloping, wave, dash design. Not to mention the Alice in Wonderland number of crazy cup holders.

It's been a few years, so maybe my memory is faulting me, but it also seemed to me that the 2010 had "better"- bigger side mirrors, and also bigger cut out windows on the front, reducing the forward blind spot. It's more difficult for me to adjust the side mirrors on the 2016 and hit that sweet spot of best visibility. It also seems to have a pretty bad blind spot beyond the front pillars, which I don't remember with the 2010.

The 2016 dash is beautiful. But entirely "normal". There was a bit of rebellious whimsy in the sloping design of the 2010's dash.

But don't get me wrong. I would recommend a new Honda Fit for anyone in the market. I really like mine. Especially the moon roof that came with the EX. But now after some ownership? I think if I was back in 2016, and looking for a Honda Fit, instead of buying a "new" Honda Fit, I might of looked at finding a "as new as possible" Gen 2 Honda Fit. From a technology and creature comforts POV the newer fits are more refined and more up to date. BUT...Honda got a LOT right with the previous generation and unfortunately seems to of lost some of the DNA when moving forward.
The forward visibility in the 2010 is better indeed.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Where can I find those?
Here you go.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
So I read the thread and am unsure as to how to put the replacements on, and remove the existing. I'll bet there are YT videos out there...

Old 09-04-2018, 05:50 PM
So I read the thread and am unsure as to how to put the replacements on, and remove the existing. I'll bet there are YT videos out there...
On my Fit, I did not plan on keeping or reusing the original emblems. I went with a tiny flat-head screwdriver and made small inroads in lifting up the emblem around the edge. At some point, I had enough purchase for my fingers and yanked. The plastic nubs either popped off with the emblem or broke, falling down and out. One thing I recommend would be to wear gloves. As part of my emblem snapped, an edge of it cut my thumb.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Ok guys. I had an amp and small powered subwoofer installed in my car. Now I'm looking at floor mats that will keep road salt off of my carpet. I've looked at the threads here and am still unsure of what to get. Weather Tech, Husky Xact Fit, or Husky Weather Beater. Please chime in with your thoughts. Thanks

Last edited by LLLC1393; 09-06-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 02:42 PM
I picked up my 2015 Fit EXL on 9/815 new. In the past 3 years I've driven close to 22K miles. I also have a 2010 Fit Sport that i passed on to my wife in 2012, when I went crazy and bought the first of several expensive luxury cars. The 2010 is more fun to drive, and the aftermarket radio sounds great through the original speakers that came with the car. Every now and then I drive the 2010, and am reminded of the sharp contrast in the driving experience from the seemingly premium, but blah driving of the 2015. I do like my creature comforts and tech, so the 2015 suits me much better. I'm also quite the calm driver, using the econ button nearly all of the time. I had become quite frustrated with the infotainment and sound quality in the 2015, to the point that I was shopping for cars for a good period of time. I also wanted AWD for our harsh winters in upstate New York, HID or LED headlamps, and a heated steering wheel. I finally decided to come to my senses and re-embrace my Fit. Having replaced the 4 doors speakers, I have ordered an amplifier and compact subwoofer, the kind that will fit under a seat, rather that alert the world that I'm coming. I also bought an inexpensive steering wheel cover at Walmart because I'm not a fan of the steering as it is, in terms of feel. After getting the rubberized cover, I realized that it will help in winter, likely not as cold to the touch until the heats comes on. So now I'm really enjoying my Fit again, and will be even more happy when I get the audio upgrades completed in a few weeks. The 2015 Fit EXL has been extremely inexpensive to own and operate, and is able to haul all of my groceries, BJ's stuff, and much more as needed. My disdain for the yellow exterior color has not lessened any, and will likely not. Just wanted to say that "the Fit is go" LOL That was the tagline when I got my 2010 Fit Sport.
DUDE...this literally sounds like me. Live in Upstate NY as well haha and came to the same senses with my 2015 FIT. I got frustrated with the road noise on my weekly commute but have learned to deal with it as well as embrace other shortcomings of the vehicle. The fit is a great car, little to no cost of ownership since I have purchased and should be able to last a long long time.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jackle0001
DUDE...this literally sounds like me. Live in Upstate NY as well haha and came to the same senses with my 2015 FIT. I got frustrated with the road noise on my weekly commute but have learned to deal with it as well as embrace other shortcomings of the vehicle. The fit is a great car, little to no cost of ownership since I have purchased and should be able to last a long long time.
Our 2010 Fit Sport has 55K miles and is doing just fine. Should be able to get a few more years out of it easily. My wife took it over from me in mid 2012 and is a very hard driver. We are still on the original battery and have had it tested recently. I figure we will need to replace it before winter, but for now we're good. My wife left the dome light on a few times overnight and drained the battery to the point where it wouldn't start without a jump. I've gotten her a portable battery pack, since that's all the roadside folks provide anyway. So please tell me what floor mats to choose for the upcoming onslaught of road salt.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Our 2010 Fit Sport has 55K miles and is doing just fine. Should be able to get a few more years out of it easily. My wife took it over from me in mid 2012 and is a very hard driver. We are still on the original battery and have had it tested recently. I figure we will need to replace it before winter, but for now we're good. My wife left the dome light on a few times overnight and drained the battery to the point where it wouldn't start without a jump. I've gotten her a portable battery pack, since that's all the roadside folks provide anyway. So please tell me what floor mats to choose for the upcoming onslaught of road salt.
I have Weathertech mats in mine and am happy with them. Reason I went with them is because they sell the front and rear separately, while Husky only sells the fronts and rear together. At first I thought I'd only buy the front set (and later bought the rears as well). You probably can't go wrong with either. They hold all the water and winter slop. When I wash the car at the car wash, I remove the mats and spray them off.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I have Weathertech mats in mine and am happy with them. Reason I went with them is because they sell the front and rear separately, while Husky only sells the fronts and rear together. At first I thought I'd only buy the front set (and later bought the rears as well). You probably can't go wrong with either. They hold all the water and winter slop. When I wash the car at the car wash, I remove the mats and spray them off.
Thanks. My problem with Weather Tech in the rear is the Kenwood subwoofer under my driver’s seat. It creates a hump that tge forward part of the rear mat must go over. Therefore I need a mat with some pliability for the rear. WT would seem to be too rigid for this. I’d like to get the WT in the rear as well since it will provide superior coverage to the OEM mats. The center portion between tge sets would be covered. See the pics and tell me if you think WT can go over the sub.
I found this video and it seems to indicate that the rear mats do not come forward nearly as much as tge carpeted mats that I have. This is in the previous gen Fit. Can you tell me if this is the case with my 2015

Last edited by LLLC1393; 09-07-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:34 AM
I just replaced a 2007 MR Sport AT (leather wheel) in really poor condition with a new White Pearl EX AT and it feels like a downgrade because I hate the steering wheel so much. Replacing the wheel with an EX-L wheel really isn't an option right now, and I'm thinking Wheelskins is my best option. I don't mind spending more for something that looks nice. I've seen one photo of an aftermarket (not Wheelskins) cover here and it looked awful - maybe the guy just wasn't that good at stitching it on. How easy was yours to install? Do you like how it looks? Thanks!