3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Purchasing Strategy Gen 3 Fit Manual

Old 09-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Purchasing Strategy Gen 3 Fit Manual

Hello everyone,

I am interested in buying a new Fit in the next month or so. As I understand it, there is something of a scarcity issue because of the plant being down right now.

I was hoping to be able to finagle a good deal on a Sport Manual, something in the $17500 with tax-tag-title-dealer fee range. Is that unrealistic (Atlanta area, willing to drive a bit)?

I am interested in the Sport model because I don't think that I need the sunroof or keyless entry/ignition system and I like the bigger wheels and the apple caryplay. Plus it saves a few bucks.

In my area, there are no used 2016 models with manuals on the used lots but there are a few 2015s. I have heard that the 2015s had some problems. I recognize that there are no sports in the older years nor is their apple carplay. That being said...

Would it be worth getting a 2015 EX and upgrading the infotainment? What about an LX and upgrading the wheels and infotainment myself? Is that even a reasonable idea? I think I also get less of a sound system?

Thanks so much for any insight you may have into the buying process right now. If anybody knows a good dealer in GA, let me know!

Old 09-07-2018, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Good deals are likely not to be had right now. Dealers are running low and won't see new ones until next year.

Mall of GA Honda has one yellow EX manual and lou Sobh in Cumming has one silver EX manual. That's all I see in my area.

If you can afford new, don't buy used. Just wait until inventory is replenished. Who knows...we may even see some imported from Japan.

Last edited by GAFIT; 09-07-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Good deals are likely not to be had right now. Dealers are running low and won't see new ones until next year.

Mall of GA Honda has one yellow EX manual and Sou Sobh in Cumming has one silver EX manual. That's all I see in my area.

If you can afford new, don't buy used. Just wait until inventory is replenished. Who knows...we may even see some imported from Japan.
Thanks so much for your help! I wish I could simply wait this out, unfortunately I have to get a car in the next month or so.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
I say suck it up and pay the price for the car you want. Trying to wait for a good deal for a Fit this period in time is like predicting the stock market, unless you're Irish with good luck.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Avoid the 2015 model. First year of major re-design. First year in the brand new Mexico plant. Many assembly (fit/finish) and component (fuel injectors) problems.
The 2016 is better but there's maybe a few carry over problems.
The 2017 is good and most of the models were made in Japan for this year only. The few models (the high end ones I believe) from Mexico seem good too.
The 2018+ (all from Mexico again) is best because they made improvements in sound deadening, chassis stiffening and other minor issues. Honda Sensing added to some models.

Needless to say the first year release, the 2015 model is the worst for quality problems and issues and the Fit steadily improved thereafter, year after year. We're at a point where the current Fit is as good as it gets and it'll soon be time for Honda to do a major re-design on this car so we can start the cycle over with all the quality problems again.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
I agree with everything woof said except the "start the cycle over" part.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the next redesign will launch with better success since it shouldn't include a brand new plant.

For the most part, all years of GD's and GE's were reliable and smart purchases. Heck, it's taken nearly 10 years for the GD's to start having problems that are "common" and the GE's are just now starting to see a bit, but are still pretty darn good. GK's are a whole different story.

I'm a bit of a pessimist, but my money would have me shopping all auto brands these days. I just don't see a large differential in quality between brands. FWIW, Kia and Hyundai are rated higher for reliability than Honda. I'm not sure I would go that far, but I think they are all pretty darn even.

If I wanted an inexpensive manual transmission hatchback today, I would shop:
Honda Fit
Hyundai Elantra GT
VW Golf
Toyota Corolla IM
Subaru Impreza
Ford Fiesta

We went shopping last year and came home with a Golf.

Happy hunting!

Old 09-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
out of those impreza hatch would be my choice.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:39 AM
My 2017 (lx) was made in mexico, no issues yet 40k miles. Look at the window sticker on the car you want, explain that you want the car out the door for the window price (dealer fees included). I dont think they'll let them go for much lower, however this will save you the 700 dealer fee and tax/tag/nickle-and-dime headaches. Also be prepared to leave, tell them you're going to checkout the new carolla hatch and dont look back.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
You may not get a steal of a deal, but if you really want a manual Fit, check out this link...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...tDirection=ASC

If it works right, it should show you manual Fit's in the Atlanta area.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:09 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Found a 2018 Fit EX manual in blue for below invoice and I couldn’t be more thrilled with my purchase. I appreciate the input everyone!

Old 09-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Janusinthegarden

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Found a 2018 Fit EX manual in blue for below invoice and I couldn’t be more thrilled with my purchase. I appreciate the input everyone!
Nice! Congrats! I didn't know that they had EX in manual now. That "month or so" came pretty fast.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by GodFather
Nice! Congrats! I didn't know that they had EX in manual now. That "month or so" came pretty fast.

lol ya it definitely was sooner than expected. The manuals in my preferred color in my area above an LX trim were... this one. Made the decision easier.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:02 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
nice. nice color choice and MT!

Old 09-09-2018, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Very nice! Glad it went to a good home. The EX manual is IMO the best Fit currently available. Sport gives you body trim that's great, but the EX gives the most amenities for the $$$.

Congrats!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2018, 11:15 PM
Congrats on your new ride. I love this car in blue, godspeed.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
Congrats on your new ride. I love this car in blue, godspeed.
There was a newspaper article I read today that was ready to bury the manual transmission, at least in America. Less that 3 percent of sales. Maybe, but even at 77 with an artificial right foot, I prefer manual transmission, 6 speed in the case of the 2015 EX Fit.

Besides, it' is an antitheft device. "Uh, Shep, wot is than middle peddle for?" That and the push button / keyless start.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
2019 Canadian HR-V announcement:

"The 2019 Honda HR-V is powered by a 141 horsepower, 1.8-liter SOHC i-VTEC® 4-cylinder engine. Driving either the front or all four wheels, all HR-V models now use a Continuously Variable automatic Transmission (CVT). The 6-speed manual transmission has been discontinued for the 2019 model year. "

Even the HR-V Sport will be only CVT now.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
2019 Canadian HR-V announcement:

"The 2019 Honda HR-V is powered by a 141 horsepower, 1.8-liter SOHC i-VTEC® 4-cylinder engine. Driving either the front or all four wheels, all HR-V models now use a Continuously Variable automatic Transmission (CVT). The 6-speed manual transmission has been discontinued for the 2019 model year. "

Even the HR-V Sport will be only CVT now.
While I see that as a shame, the HR-V is so underpowered that I'm not sure I care. It needs the 1.5t.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Janusinthegarden

How much was your OTD (out the door price on the EX)?

This information will help others also looking for deal.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Better get used to automatics or dual clutch automatics. What I saw in a Porsche dealer in Hamburg recently was that every single Porsche on the showroom floor was a PDK dual clutch automatic transmission car.