3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Shudder When Accelerating at First

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Shudder When Accelerating at First

I always use Eco Mode. I have a very light and moderate foot. I drive fairly slowly as a general rule. That's just my style. When I start out from a stop, there is a shudder when accelerating past about 15-20 MPH or so. I've tried taking the Eco Mode off, but then the whole throttle response changes and it's difficult to make a comparison. I'm quite used to the response in Eco Mode when accelerating gently from a stop. Anyone else notice this uneven behavior?

Old 09-13-2018, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
I sometimes get a shudder as well. I took mine off economy mode and started using premium fuel and really pushing the engine pretty hard for the past week. It seems to be driving even better now.

I am curious to see if the weather impacts me. I used to notice this behavior more in the winter.

Steve

Old 09-13-2018, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shadow Smith
I sometimes get a shudder as well. I took mine off economy mode and started using premium fuel and really pushing the engine pretty hard for the past week. It seems to be driving even better now.

I am curious to see if the weather impacts me. I used to notice this behavior more in the winter.

Steve
Are you still driving hard now? What's the rationale behind using premium fuel. Years ago I was told that it's good to step on the pedal and clear things out from time time, especially for a car that's driven gently. I had all but forgotten about that.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
I've had a lot of exotics over the years and the above is called an Italian Tune-up. I think it's supposed to clear carbon build-up. I'm guilty of driving "too easy" on my Fit so I thought I'd mix it up a bit and really get her over 4K RPMs this week. I might put her back in economy mode tomorrow and see how she drives. I might have to add one of those catch-cans if that's supposed to help these DI engines.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shadow Smith
I've had a lot of exotics over the years and the above is called an Italian Tune-up. I think it's supposed to clear carbon build-up. I'm guilty of driving "too easy" on my Fit so I thought I'd mix it up a bit and really get her over 4K RPMs this week. I might put her back in economy mode tomorrow and see how she drives. I might have to add one of those catch-cans if that's supposed to help these DI engines.
I'll be interested to hear how things are when you return to Eco Mode and lower revs.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
I always use Eco Mode. I have a very light and moderate foot. I drive fairly slowly as a general rule. That's just my style. When I start out from a stop, there is a shudder when accelerating past about 15-20 MPH or so. I've tried taking the Eco Mode off, but then the whole throttle response changes and it's difficult to make a comparison. I'm quite used to the response in Eco Mode when accelerating gently from a stop. Anyone else notice this uneven behavior?
ur sig shows 2010..? should post in the 2nd gen section.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
ur sig shows 2010..? should post in the 2nd gen section.
I have a 2010 and a 2015. This is about the 2015

Old 09-14-2018, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member
Have you ever noticed at what RPM this is occurring at? (Am assuming the automatics have a tach as well....) If it happens around 2200 RPM, Honda apparently feels this is "normal" … I have a manual, I just accelerate in each gear high enough so that when I upshift, I'm above 2200 RPM when I hit the next gear and never notice it (other than in 1st) ...of course, your situation might be something different, but, just putting that out there.....there've been other threads on here about the hesitation/jutter around that RPM point. Hope you get it sorted

Old 09-14-2018, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Have you ever noticed at what RPM this is occurring at? (Am assuming the automatics have a tach as well....) If it happens around 2200 RPM, Honda apparently feels this is "normal" … I have a manual, I just accelerate in each gear high enough so that when I upshift, I'm above 2200 RPM when I hit the next gear and never notice it (other than in 1st) ...of course, your situation might be something different, but, just putting that out there.....there've been other threads on here about the hesitation/jutter around that RPM point. Hope you get it sorted
Although I’ve not looked at the tach, it only occurs at the speeds mentioned above and not again.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:08 AM
I get the shudder only when making moderate pull-offs, like merging into low moving traffic, or trying not to jerk the wife's head off on launch. Will usually just go ahead and shift and blip the throttle a couple of times. Haven't figured out the cause.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
I tried driving with Eco Mode off and my initial thoughts are that the shuddering only occurs with Eco Mode on. I have a very gentle and moderate foot, and this has caused me to notice slight hesitations etc in some of my previous cars at times. My summation: R.I.P. Econ Mode

Old 10-04-2018, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Update: The shudder still occurs in Econ Mode or not. Always when accelerating from a stop relatively gently and as you go through 20 MPH. Sigh

Old 10-04-2018, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
my LX 6 speed does that every once and a while , i have a light foot , and my clutches never wear out . i find that with the fit you have be kind of deliberate on
throttle tip in . if you feather the pedal a little too much it can shudder a bit . i think it has to do with the way the engine is calibrated . find that sweet spot and the car
accelerates just fine

Old 10-04-2018, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bill bosco
my LX 6 speed does that every once and a while , i have a light foot , and my clutches never wear out . i find that with the fit you have be kind of deliberate on
throttle tip in . if you feather the pedal a little too much it can shudder a bit . i think it has to do with the way the engine is calibrated . find that sweet spot and the car
accelerates just fine
Thank you for the reply and explanation. I have a hard time putting my foot down, and have for many years. It's about frugality and babying the car. Always trying to make things in general last. I find that when driving my wife's Fit, I can put my foot down and enjoy the car more. I should try a little more acceleration with mine and see what happens. As I stated in previous response, I have been trying to drive more and focus less on the nuances. I'll be off to do some errands in a bit and will try to punch it a bit