3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Hatch won’t unlock

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 07:38 PM
Hatch won’t unlock

hi everyone! I’ve been searching the internet endlessly trying to find an answer to this issue, but have yet to find a solution.

I recently got my car fixed (passenger door panel was hit). Anyways, when I got my car back from the shop, I noticed my hatch is not opening using the unlock panel on the drivers door nor with the actual unlock button on my key. The only way for me to unlock the hatch, is if I physically have the smart key by the hatch sensor in the back. It’s been a huge issue with the body shop fixing it, as they don’t even know what to do. Could there be a possible connection under the passenger door panel that controls the lock mechanism to the hatch?

Any suggestions? Any help will be great, as this has been a frustrating fiasco from the beginning (car accident, not at fault, poor paint job, poor communication with shop, etc.) to finally getting my car back, only for the hatch to not work properly. Thanks in advance !

Last edited by Lindsay Jane Andalis; 09-13-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hummm.. is there a reset procedure for the locks? i would search for that.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Another person had similar problem. My suggestion was once you have it opened, slam it shut. Often time, the catch is not fully engaged even though the hatch release solenoid is working. When you activate the key, do you hear the clicking sound from the solenoid?

Old 09-14-2018, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
slamming it shut sounds like a technique from da crt TV days. lol

Old 09-14-2018, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

Originally Posted by kenchan

Redneck solution ,,, when a cash register computer doesn't work, I advise the cashier use a bigger hammer

Old 09-14-2018, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

Originally Posted by kenchan

Redneck solution … similar to using a hammer on a stubborn computer

Old 09-14-2018, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
But I can remember hitting the TV on the side, and achieving the desired result. Ah the days of rabbit ears and vertical hold.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
wow...this is going to be a tough one.....

Old 09-17-2018, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by wasserball
Another person had similar problem. My suggestion was once you have it opened, slam it shut. Often time, the catch is not fully engaged even though the hatch release solenoid is working. When you activate the key, do you hear the clicking sound from the solenoid?
nope, no clicking sound from the lock panel from drivers door, Nor from clicking unlock on the key. The only time I hear the clicking sound is when it’s activated from the smart key entry. I’ve brought it back to the shop and they have no clue what the issue is. Their only solution for me is taking it to the Honda dealership to get it diagnosed (pay out of pocket), then bringing it back to them so they can “try to fix it.”

Old 09-17-2018, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
i suggest talking to ur insurance and having them promise to reimburse u after da diagnosis and repair. the car is NOT FIXED yet. GL

Old 09-18-2018, 12:05 AM
Get in touch with your insurance provider, inform them of the difficulties with the shop. Take your car to the shop, inform them of the new issues with the hatch not latching as a result of their work and request they finish fixing it. Inform your insurance provider of the interaction. Follow suit logically.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
In those good old days, as my Golf TDI approached its 15th birthday, the doors would sometimes lock spontaneously: it was probably related to the micro switch in the driver's door, but a non-Redneck mechanic advised me to go around to all doors and slam them to shake any barnacles off the various switches. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
But I can remember hitting the TV on the side, and achieving the desired result. Ah the days of rabbit ears and vertical hold.
LOL.....now that you've mentioned it, I remember "vertical hold" …. was lost in the dustbin at the back of my mind. Rabbit ears, well, how can one forget them?

Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
LOL.....now that you've mentioned it, I remember "vertical hold" …. was lost in the dustbin at the back of my mind. Rabbit ears, well, how can one forget them?
Let's include contrast, brightness and hue/tint...

Old 09-19-2018, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
Let's include contrast, brightness and hue/tint...
Hue/tint? You must have been one of those rich kids ...

Old 09-22-2018, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lindsay Jane Andalis
hi everyone! I’ve been searching the internet endlessly trying to find an answer to this issue, but have yet to find a solution.

I recently got my car fixed (passenger door panel was hit). Anyways, when I got my car back from the shop, I noticed my hatch is not opening using the unlock panel on the drivers door nor with the actual unlock button on my key. The only way for me to unlock the hatch, is if I physically have the smart key by the hatch sensor in the back. It’s been a huge issue with the body shop fixing it, as they don’t even know what to do. Could there be a possible connection under the passenger door panel that controls the lock mechanism to the hatch?

Any suggestions? Any help will be great, as this has been a frustrating fiasco from the beginning (car accident, not at fault, poor paint job, poor communication with shop, etc.) to finally getting my car back, only for the hatch to not work properly. Thanks in advance !
Last week, I was unable to open the hatch without pressing the unlock button on the driver's door. I hope this isn't going to become another issue with the car.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lindsay Jane Andalis

Sorry to restart an old thread... did you have any luck figuring this out? My 2016 EX just started having the exact same problem

Old 09-14-2020, 01:10 PM
Three sticky hatch lock Fits.

My daughter has two fits, 2015, 2018 and mine is 2015. All three have sticky locks. Dealership solution is $500 for new lock plus install. Mine will open after repeated attempts with fob and a bit of pushing on lock. So here goes nothing... pulling interior cover to see what makes that sucker tick... will report back...

Old 09-14-2020, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
someone did a writeup with pictures on how to do that in this forum...somewhere

Old 09-14-2020, 08:25 PM
Sticky hatch pull follow up.

So I got the cover off inside the hatch without breaking anything. Didn’t see anything I could repair.

Took it to my trusted auto Body Shop and he said I just needed a new latch handle. $100 CDN installed. Much better than dealers $500 plus install price.

I do not like our local dealer. Doesn’t treat his sales staff fairly. Ensures they are gone within four years so he doesn’t have to deal with any permanence issues. He owns about eight dealerships in town. I will never again purchase a vehicle with his name attached to it.

Quick Reply: Hatch won’t unlock