3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Help gas mileage terrible by the day

Old 10-17-2018, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by payluder View Post
Hey 2Rismo2 I agree with you on this one and if that was the case for me I wouldnt even reach out for help. But I do not drive downtown, I live in the outside of San Francisco the sunset and work in South San Francisco my commute is at 6am never stuck in traffic at that time and only takes 19mins to get to work about 11miles one way. I take the 380 freeway to work then home so mostly its freeway miles. I'll ask my mechanic shop to do a vacuum test and see if they can find a leak.
From my San Jose house to nearby freeway onramp is a mile, I get 25 mpg without heavy foot, from there to offramp in Fremont 20 miles later, I get 40 mpg. That is my morning commute (almost no traffic). BUT in the afternoon commute, the same route from Fremont to San Jose, I get a range between 30 to 35 mpg due to heavy traffic.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:42 PM
update! over the weekend I changed my oils. It seems to be dark color, the last time it was changed was 9k ago and always with mobile 1. Before I changed my oil I check the dip stick and notice the oil was at the minimum line or at the first line. Not sure if that plays a factor in lower gas mileage but I did add 3.75qt the last oil change and same with this change. I also changed the CVT fluid since the car is at 29k miles and I went to fill up my tank and added the fuel cleaner. Its been 4 days and the car feels so much smoother from the CVT fluid and oil change. I also tried to check my spark plugs but didnt have the spark plug remover so I cant see how it looks like. The coil was dry and looks brand new and all the plugs were tight. So after driving for 4 days my gauge is reading 34mpg avg but I wont know for sure until I fill up again. But this is very promising. Could a bad CVT fluid or low oil cause bad gas mileage?

Last edited by payluder; 10-17-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
update! over the weekend I changed my oils. It seems to be dark color, the last time it was changed was 9k ago and always with mobile 1. Before I changed my oil I check the dip stick and notice the oil was at the minimum line or at the first line. Not sure if that plays a factor in lower gas mileage but I did add 3.75qt the last oil change and same with this change. I also changed the CVT fluid since the car is at 29k miles and I went to fill up my tank and added the fuel cleaner. Its been 4 days and the car feels so much smoother from the CVT fluid and oil change. I also tried to check my spark plugs but didnt have the spark plug remover so I cant see how it looks like. The coil was dry and looks brand new and all the plugs were tight. So after driving for 4 days my gauge is reading 34mpg avg but I wont know for sure until I fill up again. But this is very promising. Could a bad CVT fluid or low oil cause bad gas mileage?
Out of everything you said here, the only thing that makes sense is the fuel cleaner that you added. Oil/tranny fluid change won't be a 7mpg difference. How long had you been getting 27? Maybe just a bad tank of gas? Or had it been a few fillips worth?

The best thing you can do is sign up for a free account on fuelly and track your mpg - then if something goes wrong you'll know right away.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 PM
Well I just left work and got a check engine light on. my obd2 adapter broke so I stop by the auto store and they pulled up the same code P0456 Evaporative emission system leak detected (very small leak) while I was at the auto store I picked up a new gas cap just since I get check gas cap many times even though I know I tighten the cap. Anyone else have P0456 code?
I think the leak might be the reason I am getting bad milege

lannym I have gotten gas at the same spot a block away from my workplace for at least 2 years mobile gas. I cant remember when my mileage went down but just 3 gas fill it went down to 27mpg. When I first bought the car I was getting 37-42 reading on the gauge.

Last edited by payluder; 10-17-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:09 PM
I googled that cel + "honda fit" and this thread popped up:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ode-p0456.html

(its yours! *giggle*)

Old 10-18-2018, 12:12 PM
I think this is worth a read = https://www.fixdapp.com/blog/p0456

P0456 Symptoms

• Check Engine Light is on
  • Decreased fuel economy <--- this one has your name all over it
  • Fuel smell

P0456 Causes

• Loose or damaged gas cap
  • Leaking or disconnected EVAP hose
  • Faulty purge valve
  • Faulty canister vent valve
  • Charcoal canister leak
  • Leaking fuel tank

Old 10-18-2018, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan View Post
I think this is worth a read = https://www.fixdapp.com/blog/p0456

P0456 Symptoms

• Check Engine Light is on
  • Decreased fuel economy <--- this one has your name all over it
  • Fuel smell

P0456 Causes

• Loose or damaged gas cap
  • Leaking or disconnected EVAP hose
  • Faulty purge valve
  • Faulty canister vent valve
  • Charcoal canister leak
  • Leaking fuel tank

Thanks man I now remember I ask about this code awhile ago but started taking the bus to work I didnt fully looked into it after clearing the code. I had the mechanic clear my code this morning and he said changing the gas cap would be the first and cheapest DIY thing to start with. If my check engine lights come on again then at least I know its not the gas cap. You listed the 3 symptoms and I have all of it. Sometimes after a fillup I would park my car in my garage and on 2 occasion the whole garage smelled like gasoline. I really hope its just the gas cap.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:13 PM
Sometimes after a fillup I would park my car in my garage and on 2 occasion the whole garage smelled like gasoline. I really hope its just the gas cap.
I had a similar issue with a Civic and it was some type of EVAP issue (canister or filter). Sounds like you might be on the right track though!!!