3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to prevent wear on steering wheel buttons

Old 10-31-2018, 02:33 PM
How to prevent wear on steering wheel buttons

I recently got a 2015 EX with 44k miles, amazing little car, i love it. I want every single thing in the car to last as long as possible. I was wondering how I could prevent the white text and letting from wearing off on the steering wheel buttons, considering I listen to music almost every day and use them every single day. It would be a shame to have them completely rub off. If anyone here has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Don't use hand sanitizer or hand lotion.

My Mom destroys interiors with frequent use of those two items. Clean fingertips is the key.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Overlay the text with clear tape. My often used 7 year old laptop keys get taped over. Works for me. Or, use clear nail polish.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:21 AM

You’re not going to wear off the lettering, it’s engraved through the plastic.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MikeyGrz
This. How else do you think it could be backlit? It's molded in, not painted on.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
I was going to say, it's been 2 years with my 2016 and the lettering looks fine.
I would think the key is more keeping your hands clean, no harsh chemicals.

Some of the suggestions for protection,- IMO the cure would be worse than the poison.

Personally, I'm just going to carry on. The lettering molded/engraved..whatever, seems pretty durable. I haven't read a thread yet where someone was complaining about fading lettering. Maybe as they age more?
But until then...it seems to be something that is actually pretty durable.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
The lettering on my engine start button is wearing significantly. I have no idea why, but it bugs me.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MikeyGrz
This. Haven’t you noticed that the lettering lights up at night? The lettering and button are molded in two shots in different colors of plastic, just like typewriter keys. I know this because my dad used to be an engineer for Smith Corona.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 11-01-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Agreed with above posts ….buttons are backlit and letters are recessed, not likely to "wear off" ….. and if you use the controls that frequently, you know what they do, what does it matter? It's not going to affect resale value in ANY appreciable way …..and everyone has avoided the obvious answer. If you're afraid of the "wear and tear" of your fingers on the controls, don't use 'em. (Non-) Problem solved

Old 11-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
not laser etched, huh? 2 piece mold sounds good.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Also..
When I was young, I obsessed with trying to keep my new vehicles or new "used" vehicles looking perfect for as long as possible.
But now at this age?
I realize the center can not hold. The Falcon cannot hear the Falconer.

You own a vehicle long enough....and actually use it, and it's just going to get dings, scratches, etc, etc....

I still try to minimize damage, and repair anything I find egregious, but I realize maintaining new vehicle perfection on a daily driver is a losing proposition.
So I now look at some scratches, dings more as earned battle scars...to be proud of...and less as something I feel I need to constantly repair back to short lived, brand new perfection.

So that's to say?
If the lettering on my buttons do fade?
I'm just not going to worry about it too much. .

Old 11-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
well the good part is it looks like you dont have to worry about the buttons as they are not pad printed.

as for daily wear, its good to have a beater like my GK where my wife and i can take it to restaurants and stores in the nasty part of town and blend in with the surrounding junk cars without any fear of new dings or scratches, etc. cause i wont notice them.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:31 PM
Lettering does fade!

Everyone who says the lettering doesn’t wear off may have a different vehicle, but my 2017 Honda with 45k miles clearly had the white wear off the buttons I used the most. So rather than tell everybody they’re wrong, how about some positive suggestions.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:15 AM
It's white plastic with black "paint" on the top. When I changed the color of the backlights, I accidentally put a small scratch on the outside and you can see the white plastic. Otherwise my '16 shows no wear as I keep my hands clean.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Also..
When I was young, I obsessed with trying to keep my new vehicles or new "used" vehicles looking perfect for as long as possible.
But now at this age?
I realize the center can not hold. The Falcon cannot hear the Falconer.

You own a vehicle long enough....and actually use it, and it's just going to get dings, scratches, etc, etc....

I still try to minimize damage, and repair anything I find egregious, but I realize maintaining new vehicle perfection on a daily driver is a losing proposition.
So I now look at some scratches, dings more as earned battle scars...to be proud of...and less as something I feel I need to constantly repair back to short lived, brand new perfection.

So that's to say?
If the lettering on my buttons do fade?
I'm just not going to worry about it too much. .
Amen .....if it's not gonna rust, I don't worry about.....my Fit is black ...... a scrape in the paint but not down to bare metal? A scrape on the bumper? Black Sharpie to the rescue, man .....and it's not like my Fit LX is a rare supercar, it performs it's duties with no faults, just has a few bumps and bruises, nothing worth going to a body shop for, that's for sure.....if it'll rust (or is damaged) I'll touch it up or get it fixed......if a scrape down to the "body in white," a black Sharpie goes a long way to hiding it unless you're really looking for ir. Same with my black Trek mtb.... it's black, it's aluminium, won't rust, been touched up a bunch of times with a Sharpie. AND for the record, am in no way associated with or endorse Sharpie products, just saying a black one is handy if you have black vehicle(s)

Old 04-08-2024, 10:29 AM
You’re right. Some Buttons have white lettering printed on which do wear off.

Originally Posted by BHutchtx
Everyone who says the lettering doesn’t wear off may have a different vehicle, but my 2017 Honda with 45k miles clearly had the white wear off the buttons I used the most. So rather than tell everybody they’re wrong, how about some positive suggestions.
The white lettering on certain cars Honda or not DO wear off and not all have been created equal

Old 04-08-2024, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
Button Wear And Tear.

Use gloves when you drive.