3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Big O Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Big O Tires

Today I replaced the OEM Firestone tires with Sumitomo HTR AS P02 on my 2015 Fit EX (27,000 miles) at the the local Big O tire Store. The tires were recommended by someone on this site. They also did a free alignment check and said my right front toe and camber was out and recommended buying a aftermarket camber bolt kit.
They wanted to charge me $48 dollars for the bolt kit and the local NAPA store has it for $13.25
The offer 12 months of free alignments for $109.99 plus tax.
Any thoughts...good idea?
Thanks in advance
Paul
PS. the technician also said the rear (toe and camber) is not adjustable
PS. the technician said the rear axle is not adjustable (is that for both toe and camber)

Last edited by azopelnut; 11-02-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:11 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I have not had to do any alignment on the GK since new.. so really depends if u hit pot holes a lot or not. most places will do a front wheel alignment for $50.

i would pass.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:03 PM
I needed new tires @30k, The OEM firestones suck. I bought Yokahama's from Discount Tire Direct and had an alignment done. 109 is going rate for an alignment. free for 1yr doesn't really matter, I doubt you'd use it.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
New tires at 28K, alignment needed, was $59.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
$109 is high for a 2 wheel alignment.. even my dealer was offering to do an alignment for $50..

no sense measuring the rears if you cant align them.. unless you have some serious tracking problems that cant be corrected by just the front wheels.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
$109 is high for a 2 wheel alignment.. even my dealer was offering to do an alignment for $50..

no sense measuring the rears if you cant align them.. unless you have some serious tracking problems that cant be corrected by just the front wheels.
They put the heads on the rear wheels. They still measure the rear alignment, that’s how it’s done. Just because it’s not adjustable doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be checking it. Also, according to the dealer if you are having a serious problem it can be adjusted, They can use a machine to tweak the axle, mount etc. or replace the entire rear axle, they said they had to do it on a few different cars since 2015

Old 11-03-2018, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
I would never let Big O Tire put free air in my tires. Stay away from Big O Tires.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MikeyGrz

They put the heads on the rear wheels. They still measure the rear alignment, that’s how it’s done. Just because it’s not adjustable doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be checking it. Also, according to the dealer if you are having a serious problem it can be adjusted, They can use a machine to tweak the axle, mount etc. or replace the entire rear axle, they said they had to do it on a few different cars since 2015
wow.. it looks like you didnt understand my earlier post. spelled out.. if you have serious tracking problems that cant be corrected by just the front wheels then it needs to be repaired. something that cannot be fixed by a simple alignment at a tire shop. considering this, i am saying that paying 109.99+ tax for a 12 month alignment is a waste. plus who knows when the alignment rack was last calibrated or whether the tech knows how to run the machine.

alignment is something i try not to do as much as possible a some random tire place. i have a race car alignment shop near me that has an alignment rack that is embedded into the floors and they know what they are doing. that is the only shop i take my cars for alignment. for GK, ill let the dealer do the front wheel alignment cause the car doesnt run very accurately anyway.

for most people with cars that drive normally for them alignment readings dont mean much to them because they dont know what all the angles mean.
they just want to know 'good' or 'bad'. and with a generic and super basic torsion beam cars like the GK, if the car drives normally, then it's 'good' even if the angles are off compared to a car that does have 4 wheel alignment capability and dialed in. more info will not only confuse, but it can also bring unnecessary concern.

definitely posted too much for an alignment topic for a GK.. lol moving on.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
wow.. it looks like you didnt understand my earlier post. spelled out.. if you have serious tracking problems that cant be corrected by just the front wheels then it needs to be repaired. something that cannot be fixed by a simple alignment at a tire shop. considering this, i am saying that paying 109.99+ tax for a 12 month alignment is a waste. plus who knows when the alignment rack was last calibrated or whether the tech knows how to run the machine.

alignment is something i try not to do as much as possible a some random tire place. i have a race car alignment shop near me that has an alignment rack that is embedded into the floors and they know what they are doing. that is the only shop i take my cars for alignment. for GK, ill let the dealer do the front wheel alignment cause the car doesnt run very accurately anyway.

for most people with cars that drive normally for them alignment readings dont mean much to them because they dont know what all the angles mean.
they just want to know 'good' or 'bad'. and with a generic and super basic torsion beam cars like the GK, if the car drives normally, then it's 'good' even if the angles are off compared to a car that does have 4 wheel alignment capability and dialed in. more info will not only confuse, but it can also bring unnecessary concern.

definitely posted too much for an alignment topic for a GK.. lol moving on.

your right. Why do any work on the car. Who knows if the dealerships equipment is good or not. It’s just a fit, I guess.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Paul, the fact that they told you the rears cannot be aligned .... is a sign you need to run the hell away from this shop, FAST!

On GK's, you CAN align the rears. You'll need SHIMS to do it.... it can be done.

TL;DR = GO SOMEWHERE ELSE

Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Most tire shops do not use aftermarket shims to adjust the rears on the Fit so it is not unique to this shop.

i wouldn’t be surprised if most of the popular tire and alignment shops tell a consumer they can’t adjust the rears on the Fit.