3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Questions for battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:03 AM
Questions for battery replacement

Hi,
I have a 2016 Fit LX. My battery light came on so I jumped it with another car but it didn't start. I replaced with a new battery last night. I still didn't start. I checked everything and also asked my neighbor to take a look. We tried starting it multiple times and it just wouldn't start.. So I went inside to look for things for like 20 minutes. I gave it one last shot and it started. Does anyone know why the car didn't start after I replaced the battery and I have to wait for almost half hour? I just don't understand. The day before battery light came on. I refilled air on all four tires using those portable air pump. Maybe that drained the battery? I didn't drive around after I inflated the tire with proper pressure.

I am totally clueless why the new battery didn't work at first. I turned off all the radio, lights and AC in the car before I started it and none of that worked. It only started after I let it sit for 30 minutes. Does it need to charge another interior battery to start the car? Anyone replaced your battery with a similar problem?

Thank you
ben

Old 11-27-2018, 07:31 AM
One of those strange things in life. Perhaps check for a loose ground connection. That could cause erratic behavior.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
If your question is...
Are your symptoms common to a failed and/or replaced battery?
The answer is no.

Usually you'll get some warning...dim lights, slow starts before the battery totally fails.
Usually if you jump start even a bad battery, the vehicle will start.
Usually a new battery...is fine.

Given your path thus far, I'm suspicious that your problem really has nothing to do with your battery.

How's it running now?

Old 11-27-2018, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bplegend
.....but it didn't start. ....... still didn't start. ...... it just wouldn't start........ the car didn't start after I replaced the battery.....I refilled air on all four tires using those portable air pump. Maybe that drained the battery?
"didn't start" is an uttterly meaningless description. Did the engine actually turn over but wouldn't fire or was there no response at all - nothing happened when the key was turned - the starter motor wouldn't turn over. Also, when you were using the air pump was the car running or was the engine off which might have drained the battery? How long was the pump running?

Sorry but I find it impossible to respond to your post when you don't give any specific or useful information.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Sorry but I find it impossible to respond to your post when you don't give any specific or useful information.
wanna join me on my crusade? =)

Old 12-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by woof
"didn't start" is an uttterly meaningless description. Did the engine actually turn over but wouldn't fire or was there no response at all - nothing happened when the key was turned - the starter motor wouldn't turn over. Also, when you were using the air pump was the car running or was the engine off which might have drained the battery? How long was the pump running?

I am sorry for my bad post.

The engine did try to turn over but it couldn't start.

When I used the air pump, the engine was off. I pumped all four tires from 25psi to 32psi for all four tires. Once all filled, I locked the car and that's it. I never started the car that day. I only started the car the day before and the day after which was when I found out I wasn't able to start the car.

The car had half tank of gas at that time. The day before I pumped the air, the temperature dropped to the 20s. I suspect there is some moisture in the fuel line which may got frozen.

Over the weekend, I checked the old battery and it had 11 Amp on it. So as others said, it is likely not a battery problem.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
If you fill up with gasoline which contains ethanol (typically regular or mid grade gas) your fuel line will never freeze because the ethanol mixes with any water moisture in the tank and prevents it from freezing. The ethanol water mix will get safely burnt off in the engine. That's one of the benefits of ethanol gas in northern climates in the winter time.

Back to your starting problem though. It's hard to say why the car didn't start especially with a new battery. Running an air pump might have run the battery down somewhat and maybe the battery you bought wasn't as fully charged from the store as it should have been.. If you have a battery charger you should put it on the battery for a few hours to make sure that it's fully charged now.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Thank you Woof. I bought a Noco GB40 to keep at home now.