Grind it Out? Or Grind it In? - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Grind it Out? Or Grind it In?

Old 12-21-2018, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Grind it Out? Or Grind it In?

I have a 2016 Honda Fit EX, that has been mostly trouble free. But this winter, just occasionally, I'm starting to get the infamous few second grinding sound upon start up. So far, it's pretty intermittent, and is just a split second or two. I find it easy enough to ignore.
I think I'm still under warranty however, and I wonder if it's worth it to try to get this addressed under warranty? Is it likely to get worse?
Has anyone had this issue and actually had any success with Honda fixing it long term?

Internet search, seems to suggest it's signs of a failing starter.
Don't feel like dealing with it during the holidays, but wondering if I shouldn't get it in to the dealership ASAP next year.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
There have been many reports here of premature starter failure, especially on the pushbutton start models.

Whether you're in warranty or not, I'd contact Honda corporate first, so they know of your issue and can direct resources at it. I don't like showing up at a dealer first, as the dealer is sometimes less motivated to fix your issue than corporate would be.

If your car is still under warranty, it should be fixed gratis. If it isn't, Honda has been all over the place as far as individual cases. Sometimes they foot the entire bill, sometimes nothing, sometimes half, sometimes half in service credits.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
My other concern is that it is intermittent.
Mostly happening on cold mornings,- just know it won't replicate at the dealership.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Is it intermittently not starting or is it the vtc actuator noise?

I didn't used to get the vtc noise, but it's happening more frequently. I've read some people have had the tsb done and the nose has come back. I'm way out of warranty so I don't think I'll bother. I'd have to leave the car overnight for them to try to replicate, then how long for them to fix. It doesn't seem to affect longevity so I'll leave it alone.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet View Post
I have a 2016 Honda Fit EX, that has been mostly trouble free. But this winter, just occasionally, I'm starting to get the infamous few second grinding sound upon start up. So far, it's pretty intermittent, and is just a split second or two. I find it easy enough to ignore.
I think I'm still under warranty however, and I wonder if it's worth it to try to get this addressed under warranty? Is it likely to get worse?
Has anyone had this issue and actually had any success with Honda fixing it long term?

Internet search, seems to suggest it's signs of a failing starter.
Don't feel like dealing with it during the holidays, but wondering if I shouldn't get it in to the dealership ASAP next year.
i bet its the vtc actuator rattling. mine does it like 150% of the time now. its a pos, i learned to live with it cause even people that had this service done to fix, the noise comes back. its nice to have a pos sounding car at the strip malls cause u blend in with everyone else. its actually nice.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
The vehicle is starting just fine...just an occasional split second or two grinding sound at "push button" start.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yep, vtc actuator rattle. my GK did that this am when i moved the car out of the way to pull out my fun car, it did it again when i went out for authentic faux chinese take out. just a part of owning a GK.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:58 PM
Sounds like the vtc issue. There is a tsb if you want to pursue it.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:15 PM
Can you record it starting until you catch it happening? A video would probably help more than a description. A failing starter and vtc rattle would probably sound different.