Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Anyone done Xenon headlamp upgrade for 3rd gen FIT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kanadary
I had to aim mine slightly lower to not blind on coming cars. Only reason I knew this was because I was in front of my daughter while she was in the fit and could see the glare on my side mirrors
I’m sure it may vary by car and by the load you’re carrying. In my case I didn’t have to adjust the headlamps. I can tell because the cutoff is well below the rear window line of the car ahead.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:48 AM
Thanks all for the info on superbrightleds. I like to give it a try. The OEM H4 setup is really not bright enough
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...set/3929/8565/
Do you also need to get the Load Resistor Kit together with the H4 LED conversion kit?
I will see how the aim looks afterward. The OEM setup on my 2015 FIT looks low as is.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blkfit2015
Thanks all for the info on superbrightleds. I like to give it a try. The OEM H4 setup is really not bright enough
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...set/3929/8565/
Do you also need to get the Load Resistor Kit together with the H4 LED conversion kit?
I will see how the aim looks afterward. The OEM setup on my 2015 FIT looks low as is.
I didn't need a load resistor with mine. Everything worked just like it should. Even the DRLs worked with reduced brightness.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I didn't need a load resistor with mine. Everything worked just like it should. Even the DRLs worked with reduced brightness.
Mine too, just plug and play 😀

Old 01-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JerBear716
Mine too, just plug and play 😀
@JerBear716 @Uncle Gary
Thank you. Good to know extra resistor load is not needed. More energy efficient

Old 01-28-2019, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blkfit2015
@JerBear716 @Uncle Gary
Thank you. Good to know extra resistor load is not needed. More energy efficient
You’re going from 55/60 watts per lamp to 17/17 watts. That has to be good, right?

Old 01-28-2019, 10:51 PM

You’re going from 55/60 watts per lamp to 17/17 watts. That has to be good, right?
Sweet. I did not know electrical power will drop this low. With 17/17W, this means low and high beams are same brightness our of the LED bulb.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:46 AM
Found this from a search in the superbrightleds website.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...23&scc_id=1398

Decided to still go with the 4000lm 7000K H4 conversion kit everyone here has. Better price and CRI spec is better at 77 vs 74.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:06 AM
Got the 4000lm 7000k H4 LED bulb installed.
Some "Before" and "After" pictures.
@Uncle Gary Do you recall how you positioned the low-beam hood? Manual shows the hood should be at the top, which reflects like to the bottom housing reflector, making the low beam aiming higher than regular halogen which has low beam filament reflected off the top housing reflector aim to the ground.
The LED low beam and high beam are not as focused. Beam pattern is scattered is a strange way, but is brighter than halogen.
The exposed connector is making me uncomfortable. Will need to find something to wrap that to prevent short-circuit in rain/car-wash

Before: Philips H4 55/60W Halogen

Super Bright LED H4 4000lm 7000K LED

Connector is exposed. Not tight fit

Installation manual states low beam hood should be posited as above. Seems to be against intuition.

Last edited by blkfit2015; 02-06-2019 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
i dn't have instructions on how to orient the hood but installed them the same as the halogens that were originally in there. doesn't make sense you would invert them, its just a light source. the hood is on the bottom so in low beam the light source point up into the reflector and the light disperses down. i did have to adjust the height of the bulb slightly downward mainly cause the cut off line isn't as clean as with the halogens as shown in your pictures. there's abit of fuzziness

Old 02-06-2019, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kanadary
i dn't have instructions on how to orient the hood but installed them the same as the halogens that were originally in there. doesn't make sense you would invert them, its just a light source. the hood is on the bottom so in low beam the light source point up into the reflector and the light disperses down. i did have to adjust the height of the bulb slightly downward mainly cause the cut off line isn't as clean as with the halogens as shown in your pictures. there's abit of fuzziness
This right here! If you look at how your original halogen lamps are designed you will see the low beam shield is underneath the low beam filament. The LEDs go the same way.

BLKFIT2015, I'd recheck my connections. My connectors fit with no gap. If you can't do better, I suggest a piece of bicycle inner tube can be used to "seal" the joint.

I find the LEDs are close, but, due to design limitations cannot exactly reproduce the shape of the halogen filament yet. These are the closest I've found and work well in the real world. Perhaps at some point they will be able to make a perfect cylindrical LED that exactly mimics an incandescent filament. We're apparently not quite there yet.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 02-06-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:52 PM
@kanadary @Uncle Gary
Thanks guys for the feedback.
Yes, I swapped the LED bulb with hood at bottom this morning. Should follow physics over any instruction manual. Will see how it looks tonight.
I will write to SuperBrightLED to let them know about their incorrect manual and the male connector with metal too long.

UncleGary, I will check the connection again. Pretty sure I did it right last night.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:52 PM
I find the LEDs are close, but, due to design limitations cannot exactly reproduce the shape of the halogen filament yet. These are the closest I've found and work well in the real world. Perhaps at some point they will be able to make a perfect cylindrical LED that exactly mimics an incandescent filament. We're apparently not quite there yet.
After fixing the bulb position with the hood at the bottom, uniformity of the light beam on the road are much better. @Uncle Gary You are right about this LED beam pattern (after being positioned right). They are not far from halogen.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by JerBear716

I just bought these from your recommendation, I’ll take some before and after for you when they get in. I have a 2016 EX CVT w/ 26k on it.
Long story short, kept getting high beamed and pissing off other drivers, adjusted myself...kept happening. Paid the dealer to adjust, $75 later still getting high beamed and pissing people off all the time. Last night I got a ticket for my headlights being too bright...

I ordered some of the Phillips blue halogens to replace these with because they are just too bright and overwhelming the reflector.

I never wanted to be that asshole and the ticket was enough to drag me out of my denial.

If someone sells reasonable LED headlights that are DOT approved and street legal I would try them again, but this was not a good idea for a halogen reflector setup.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Either they weren't installed right (dealers can make mistakes too), or you live someplace with ridiculous cops- and I'm a cop myself, so I feel justified in saying that. I don't doubt what you're saying about your experience, but I have a similar set of bulbs and no problems with people high beaming me once they were adjusted right.

I doubt you're going to find DOT approved LED bulbs, though, unless you take your whole headlight assembly apart and modify it to take factory LED light modules from another car. All that being said, I hope the Phillips bulbs work well for you.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by hasdrubal
Either they weren't installed right (dealers can make mistakes too), or you live someplace with ridiculous cops- and I'm a cop myself, so I feel justified in saying that. I don't doubt what you're saying about your experience, but I have a similar set of bulbs and no problems with people high beaming me once they were adjusted right.

I doubt you're going to find DOT approved LED bulbs, though, unless you take your whole headlight assembly apart and modify it to take factory LED light modules from another car. All that being said, I hope the Phillips bulbs work well for you.
Im 35 years old and never got so much as a parking ticket and had no idea why he was pulling me over. When he told me my headlights were too bright I thought he was being funny at first. He was very nice and had a lot to say about road safety and how LED retrofit kits were causing a lot of problems for them and If I could prove it was taken care of before the court appearance they would dismiss the ticket. I’ve had the bulb itself adjusted twice and the headlight aim checked by myself and then the dealer. The cutoff seems reasonable to me and I don’t think there is a problem, mine seem no brighter than the next guys LEDs, but when I’m driving home from the shelter in this rural town, I always have people honking and flashing their high beams in the country, but never in town or in the city. I wish I could fix the problem or find someone who could, but at this point it’s been too much frustration and money trying to make this work when it just seems like it’s not going to happen.

My brother in law does customizations on cars for a living at his shop and explained to me about the halogen reflectors not being designed for the kind of light output being generated by the LEDs and offered to put some real LED lamps in at cost, which was nice of him, but I am terrified the same thing would happen out in the country.

Ill begrudgingly go back to halogens and hope their not too bright compared to the gross and dim yellowish light that came with the car.