3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

gas in my oil ?

  #1  
Old 01-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: huntington station
Posts: 86
gas in my oil ?

just happened to check the oil the other morning ( little over 5000 miles on a '19 lx 6 speed ) and the oil has a gasoline odor to it , never noticed this before . there's around 3000
miles on this oil , it's a castrol full synthetic . i know used oil has a bit of a smell to it , but this seems a bit much
 
  #2  
Old 01-22-2019, 10:04 PM
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: milwaukee, wi
Posts: 568
The oil has gas odor off the dipstick? That's not good. I know some synthetics can smell a little funky, but not as pungent as gas. Does the oil look OK?
 
  #3  
Old 01-23-2019, 12:15 AM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Manitoba CANADA
Posts: 557
You don't mention the oil level. If gasoline has gotten into the oil then the oil level may be above the maximum marking on the dipstick and is worth looking for. However you could still get a small amount of gas in the oil producing a smell depending on how sensitive your nose is. I'm not sure if there is much you can do other than continue to monitor the oil level and take it in if you notice the level going up..
 
  #4  
Old 01-23-2019, 04:25 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: huntington station
Posts: 86
it's got some color to it and the level on the dipstick is higher than when i checked it last , that's the first thing that could my
attention . at first i thought it was something to do with it being 12 degrees the other morning . .last week i was sitting in car with the engine running
putting phone numbers into the speed dial , got a phone call , and ended up with the car idling for at least an hour , lost track of the time . wonder if that
was related . will change the oil today . will save some of the spent oil in a bottle in case i decide to get it tested . bad injector ?
 
  #5  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:33 AM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 320
First, how do you drive? I see you're in a cold climate this time of year, like me. Condensation and fuel in the oil that is not evaporating off and-or being pulled through the PCV system to go out the tailpipe. If you told me you are a lot like me, which is explained below, I wouldn't be surprised. But I am not going to keep it a secret, I am curious if I have an issue...

This is from my last catch-can emptying: "Last series of pics in this thread"

I really believe I am a worst case scenario and it's probably not good for the car. The last time I emptied the catch can, it was so powerful it was more like someone took gas and added a little oil, not the other way around. Also about 100ml of fluid in only ~2000 miles. (big part caused by my catch can being on the front and in the wind, so it's cold and has hot air passing through it)

Why worst case scenario?
  • Temps right now are 0-20F
  • My drive to work is less than 2 miles.
  • My ScanGauge says I go from about 35 degrees (garage temp) to maybe 140 on my way to work, so my car never gets to warm up.
  • I drive home at lunch and go throughout about the same scenario
  • I drive back to work and the car might get to the 170's, but for only a minute.
  • Then I drive home again at the end of the day, where once again my car gets to maybe 140-150.
To a certain point, the manufacturers are wanting the cars to actually warm up and evaporate condensate and fuel that makes it past the cylinders.

Just some random info and my experience. Happy to discuss.

 
  #6  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NOVAnistan
Posts: 2,457
Hopefully this is not similar to what's being reported by the CR-V owners:


https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...sue-2017-2018/
 
  #7  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 AM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 320
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 View Post
Hopefully this is not similar to what's being reported by the CR-V owners:
Speechless that Honda would have to come out with this video.... Almost as bad as Chevy and their cylinder shutdown oil consumption. They claim a quart per 1000 miles is completely acceptable consumption.

Thank you for sharing this! Highly motivating for me to go ahead an have this current oil tested. I hate doing an early change when it's not in the budget, but I think I bought enough last time that I may only be a quart short.
 
  #8  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:49 AM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 320
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 View Post
Hopefully this is not similar to what's being reported by the CR-V owners:
Isn't this the same engine as the Civic Turbo? I am wondering if they have a matching video or maybe they knew something and made some changes... I once heard something about low friction piston and ring design....

 
  #9  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 AM
Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NOVAnistan
Posts: 2,457
Yup same engine as the Civic Turbo in the CR-V. Supposedly this was initially only for overseas CR-Vs since it's a slightly different 1.5T engine, but now US owners are reporting it as well.

I've thought about getting a Civic Turbo to replace the Fit when the time comes, so I'll be following what happens to see if it affects the Civics too.

Edit - For me, it shouldn't be a problem as I have a long commute but it's still an odd design.
 

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 01-23-2019 at 11:08 AM.
  #10  
Old 01-23-2019, 11:03 AM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Manitoba CANADA
Posts: 557
Why are all these oil/gas problems only being discussed in connection with Honda's turbo engines? Do non-turbo versions not have a problem?
 
  #11  
Old 01-23-2019, 01:18 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 320
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Why are all these oil/gas problems only being discussed in connection with Honda's turbo engines? Do non-turbo versions not have a problem?
I would venture to say it is much more noticeable... A turbocharged engine is going to put in considerably more fuel when building boost and at the same time generating even higher pressures inside the cylinder. (more explosion for the rings to contain)
 
  #12  
Old 01-23-2019, 03:15 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: huntington station
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by CyclingFit View Post
First, how do you drive? I see you're in a cold climate this time of year, like me. Condensation and fuel in the oil that is not evaporating off and-or being pulled through the PCV system to go out the tailpipe. If you told me you are a lot like me, which is explained below, I wouldn't be surprised. But I am not going to keep it a secret, I am curious if I have an issue...

This is from my last catch-can emptying: "Last series of pics in this thread"

I really believe I am a worst case scenario and it's probably not good for the car. The last time I emptied the catch can, it was so powerful it was more like someone took gas and added a little oil, not the other way around. Also about 100ml of fluid in only ~2000 miles. (big part caused by my catch can being on the front and in the wind, so it's cold and has hot air passing through it)

Why worst case scenario?
  • Temps right now are 0-20F
  • My drive to work is less than 2 miles.
  • My ScanGauge says I go from about 35 degrees (garage temp) to maybe 140 on my way to work, so my car never gets to warm up.
  • I drive home at lunch and go throughout about the same scenario
  • I drive back to work and the car might get to the 170's, but for only a minute.
  • Then I drive home again at the end of the day, where once again my car gets to maybe 140-150.
To a certain point, the manufacturers are wanting the cars to actually warm up and evaporate condensate and fuel that makes it past the cylinders.

Just some random info and my experience. Happy to discuss.
just changed the oil , could have missread the dipstick the first time around , it appears when you pull it out for a reading , one side is the accurate one , the other will show
way past the full mark , i know i've got 3 1/2 qts in it . however i saved a little over a pint in a bottle . i'll have my brother take a whif of it . he's a mechanic . to my nose it's
a bit gassy , more-so than the spent oil i've got accumulating in my waste container , i've got around 5 qts worth .i'll be closely watching this for the next 2 or 3 weeks. my drive to work is 12 miles , so ,
i'd say it is warmed up , at least 2x a day . mostly in my around town drives , the blue temp light does go out . if it turns out to be an abnormal situation , it's going back to the dealer for warranty
work
 
  #13  
Old 01-23-2019, 03:20 PM
evilchargerfan's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: san diego
Posts: 2,024
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...g-edition.html

I hope you consider joining team catch can




CyclingFit, please get a UOA! I'd love to see the results, and eager to see if there is too much fuel in the oil or if you're fine
 
  #14  
Old 01-23-2019, 04:54 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: huntington station
Posts: 86
i thought the catch can was for recovering oil from the crankcase ventilation system ?
 
  #15  
Old 01-23-2019, 06:02 PM
evilchargerfan's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: san diego
Posts: 2,024
In the case of Mr CyclingFit , his can appears to have caught a good amount of fuel in there (somehow)

It wouldnt hurt to give it a trial run, and test a catch can for like 29 days, and then return it to amazon.
 
  #16  
Old 01-26-2019, 06:22 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: huntington station
Posts: 86
brought a container of my spent oil ( 3000 miles ) over to my brother , yea , he's smelling alot of gas in it , and the oil's pretty
dark for 3000 miles . it's gotta go back to honda methinks
 
  #17  
Old 01-27-2019, 06:40 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: huntington station
Posts: 86
had a thought , it's a stretch , but could the b pipe and tanabe muffler i added to the car be jamming up the engine management so much
that's running rich enough to dump fuel out of the injectors ? it's not like it's a major mod
 
  #18  
Old 01-27-2019, 01:32 PM
ashchuckton's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Here & now
Posts: 684
Originally Posted by bill bosco View Post
brought a container of my spent oil ( 3000 miles ) over to my brother , yea , he's smelling alot of gas in it , and the oil's pretty
dark for 3000 miles . it's gotta go back to honda methinks
You need to send a sample of that oil to Blackstone to find out what is up with it.

Blackstone
 
  #19  
Old 01-27-2019, 05:09 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: huntington station
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by ashchuckton View Post
You need to send a sample of that oil to Blackstone to find out what is up with it.

Blackstone
before it goes back to honda on thursday , i'm gonna take a look at the sparkplugs , we're figuring at least one will show up rich or at different least
from the others . the used oil is plenty dark for 3000 miles , maybe blow-by , improperly seated rings ? . gonna have a sample tested on my own ,
instead of relying just on honda's opinion . also , before it goes in , i think i'll put the original b pipe back on , as well as the original airbox . never counted
on this much trouble with a new honda motor . a shame , cause i really like this car
 
  #20  
Old 01-30-2019, 07:18 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: huntington station
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by bill bosco View Post
before it goes back to honda on thursday , i'm gonna take a look at the sparkplugs , we're figuring at least one will show up rich or at different least
from the others . the used oil is plenty dark for 3000 miles , maybe blow-by , improperly seated rings ? . gonna have a sample tested on my own ,
instead of relying just on honda's opinion . also , before it goes in , i think i'll put the original b pipe back on , as well as the original airbox . never counted
on this much trouble with a new honda motor . a shame , cause i really like this car
bringing the car in tomorrow (thurs) , just put back on the original exhaust and airbox , kinda liking the quiet . i've got a few chassis braces on the car so it's feeling solid and quiet , nice !
when the smoke clears on this whole episode , i'll probably put the intake mod back on , but i'm not sure about the exhaust . live and learn i always say
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gas in my oil ?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.