3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Self-Locking Doors

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:31 AM
5 Year Member
Self-Locking Doors

Has anyone figured out the self-locking doors? I mean the doors locking when the car is sitting - turned off. Sometimes I'll go out to the car, and the doors are locked, and sometimes they aren't. What's going on here?

Old 02-14-2019, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Has anyone figured out the self-locking doors? I mean the doors locking when the car is sitting - turned off. Sometimes I'll go out to the car, and the doors are locked, and sometimes they aren't. What's going on here?
You sure you're not hitting the lock button by accident causing the doors to lock?

On my 2015, there are no self locking doors option. I think in later years they included it so if you walked away with the key in your pocket, it would lock after a bit.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
You sure you're not hitting the lock button by accident causing the doors to lock?

On my 2015, there are no self locking doors option. I think in later years they included it so if you walked away with the key in your pocket, it would lock after a bit.
Definitely. This happened with two 2015 Fits and the new 2019. Maybe the button in my pocket gets pushed accidentally, but that seems unlikely. Sometimes it locks when the key is hanging on the hook.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Definitely. This happened with two 2015 Fits and the new 2019. Maybe the button in my pocket gets pushed accidentally, but that seems unlikely. Sometimes it locks when the key is hanging on the hook.
I know if you hit unlock on the key fob, and don't open the doors within 30s or so, it does lock the doors too.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
I know if you hit unlock on the key fob, and don't open the doors within 30s or so, it does lock the doors too.
Interesting

Old 02-14-2019, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
My 2018 EX with the door handles you touch to unlock...

Scenarios for my doors locking:
Unlocking the doors and not opening them, they re-lock in 30, 60, or maybe 90 seconds. I can program this through the dash. (my 15LX did this same thing but I think it was 1 minute)

Walking away from the car, the doors lock automatically after I am about 5-10 feet away

If I walk away too quickly (while the door is still closing) the car beeps at me multiple times to tell me it did not lock. The key needs to be close to the car for 1-2 seconds after the door closes, then it beeps to tell me it's going to lock when I get 5-10 feet away, then as I walk away I get one more beep with the doors locking. Nice that if it does not beep to tell you it's ready to lock, then you know someone left a door ajar.

My settings via the dash: beep to confirm doors are ready to lock. beep and light flash to confirm actual locking. Re-locking is set to it's longest setting.

Guessing other years have this technology but maybe it was more difficult to program?

Old 02-14-2019, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
From the manual:

*Using the Remote Transmitter
If you do not open a door within 30 seconds of
unlocking the vehicle with the remote transmitter,
the doors will automatically relock.
If the interior light switch is in the door activated
position, the interior lights come on when you press
the unlock button.
No doors opened: The lights fade out after 30
seconds.
Doors relocked with the remote transmitter: The
lights go off immediately.
The remote transmitter uses low-power signals, so
the operating range may vary depending on the
surroundings.
The remote transmitter will not lock the vehicle when
a door or tailgate is open

Old 02-14-2019, 12:22 PM
Omigod! Wtf! Having the same problem

WTF! I’m having the same problem, is this something the manufacturers recognized and have done anything about? Newbie here and to tricking out my lovely 07' sport. If we have the answer or you know the answer to resolving this lease post! Between this and the horn I've never had any problems with my ride.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
From the manual:
And you cannot lock the doors if you are outside and the key fob is inside.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:10 PM
correction: you cannot lock the primary key fob inside. My wife and I both have a key fob. I left my key in the car the night before, my wife locked the car with her fob. The next morning she went to work with her fob and mine locked in the car.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Heather N Steven Rish

correction: you cannot lock the primary key fob inside. My wife and I both have a key fob. I left my key in the car the night before, my wife locked the car with her fob. The next morning she went to work with her fob and mine locked in the car.
How do you know which is the primary?

You can if the batter is dead in the key fob lol

Key fob locked in car because of dead battery

Old 02-17-2019, 08:08 PM
How do you know which is the primary?

Key fob locked in car because of dead battery
I believe it is the first one in the car becomes the primary .

Old 02-18-2019, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Heather N Steven Rish

I bet that's because she used her fob to lock the car, so there was a fob outside. I'll try it today and see what happens.