3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

M/T: Shaky Second Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 02:57 PM
The point of the post is you shouldn't have to do that. Who cares what you want to call it.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:19 PM
m_x
I don't think that's the problem anyway.

Maybe shudder is not the best way to describe it. I feel this little... I don't know, change in the way the car accelerates. It's like the engine farts haha.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:10 PM
m_x
Bump.

Hey Everyone! Lots of new M/T drivers on the forum; can anybody comment on this?

I'm still experiencing this shudder. I will update my description to say: If you shift into second gear while going less than 20mph and accelerate in 2nd, there is a noticeable shudder as the car hits 20mph. For example, accelerate to 15-18mph in 1st, shift to second and continue accelerating up to 20mph, shudder just as the needle passes the "20" mark.

I'm over trying to explain in terms of RPMs. When the speedo approaches 20mph in 2nd gear, the engine shudders.

I have tried revving 1st gear to 4k+ (which was the tech's crappy advice, claiming that shifting earlier puts me outside the 2nd gear powerband and makes the engine struggle. That's BS). I don't notice the shudder when I do this, but it is not a solution in my book. 1) I'm not convinced the shudder doesn't happen when I do this; I think it just feels different/harder to feel when the engine is spinning 4k vs. 2k. 2) Drive this way and tell me it's not annoying as hell. Plus, you can't always do this! Say your approaching a red light that turns green as you coast @15mph. If you follow this advice, you have to DOWNSHIFT TO 1ST and rev to 4k before shifting to 2nd... that's stupid. 3) Other M/T drivers don't have to do this. If it was a powerband thing, why would the manual tell you to shift to 2nd at 16mph?

I've also tried being more aggressive with the gas pedal, meaning once the clutch is out and I'm in second, I'll hit the accelerator and get up over 20mph as quickly as possible. This method is hit and miss. Sometimes I accelerate smoothly, sometime I just shudder faster, but every time I think what a waste of gas that is and that I shouldn't have to do it.

I don't know if this is something wrong with my car or not, but it is irritating because it happens 50 times a day (think of how often you shift 1st to 2nd...). If it's a problem, I want it addressed now before there's thousand more miles on it. If it's not a problem, I still want a non-BS explanation for it. I intend to go BACK to the dealer about it, but haven't yet because it's horribly inconvenient.

Vrooooooooo-oo-oo-oooom...

Old 09-30-2014, 04:36 PM
So I've also noticed this will happen in third gear if accellerating from a low RPM. I'm not sure is that changes anything but I know for a fact it's not just second...haven't been to the dealer about it or anything...should I bring it up????

Old 09-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Almost sounds like an ignition, timing, or fuel issue, but I would expect a check engine light if so. Loose coil pack or something like that... idk

Anyway, not normal. You should be able to start the car from a stop in 2nd gear without issue. Go to a different dealership or talk to a different tech and/or service adviser.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:41 PM
m_x
Yep, I feel like it does happen in 3rd, but less often. Try to pay attention to when it happens (speed or RPM) and try to determine if it happens at the same point every time.

A few of the theories in this thread included some type of eco programming or something. Maybe a valve that opens or closes at that speed? I have no idea. It just consistently happens at the same exact point for me.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by m_x
Bump.

Hey Everyone! Lots of new M/T drivers on the forum; can anybody comment on this?

I'm still experiencing this shudder. I will update my description to say: If you shift into second gear while going less than 20mph and accelerate in 2nd, there is a noticeable shudder as the car hits 20mph. For example, accelerate to 15-18mph in 1st, shift to second and continue accelerating up to 20mph, shudder just as the needle passes the "20" mark.
I have almost 4000 mi on my LX MT. I like to wrap the gears out, revving higher than you do in my typical driving pattern. But, I just did a test, shifting into 2nd at 16 to 18 mph and accelerating at a medium pace through 20 mph. I did this over and over again... maybe 10 or 15 times. One time I felt a jostle but I think that was a bump in the road. I could not sense in my car what you have observed in yours.

I think you need to drive another one or two or three other manual Fits just to be be very certain that what you are observing in your car is not typical of the Fit. That is what you are, in effect, trying to accomplish by asking us. Even with your painstaking description I may just not be observant enough or in tune enough, to detect in my car what it is that you observe in your car. Maybe you could take an afternoon and go to some different dealers and test drive some other Fits letting them think you are car shopping...

If you find that the other Fits don't have this behavior then you will be in a much more confident place to argue that you have a mechanical issue that need to be fixed.

I'm sorry you are having these troubles... good luck!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
I definitely experience this as well. Let me know if you find a solution, I think it's just the engine.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:34 AM
I’m pretty sure its related to shift points and the fact that this motor is pretty under powered for the weight of the car. Keep the revs up and keep your shifts timed correctly and it’s smooth as butter.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:59 AM
m_x
Thanks Guys! Your input is most appreciated and it's people like you that make FF awesome.

I will keep monitoring this (I have no choice really) and report back if I ever find a definitive answer. I'm getting my bumper "upgraded" tomorrow and will try to take a tech out in the car again and see what they think.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:25 PM
btg
I'm definitely experiencing the same phenomenon in second gear. I've owned manual transmissions all my life; it's certainly not related to driving technique per some responses above. I've only had the car for a couple of weeks but it's looking like I'll have to take the car back to the dealer to investigate this after already having it back after two days to have the moonroof replaced because of a problem with the weatherstripping....don't want to lose faith in Honda as I'm a loyal customer, but there certainly seems like there are some QC issues with the new 2015 Fit. <sigh>

Old 10-16-2014, 10:37 AM
m_x
Originally Posted by btg
I'm definitely experiencing the same phenomenon in second gear. I've owned manual transmissions all my life; it's certainly not related to driving technique per some responses above. I've only had the car for a couple of weeks but it's looking like I'll have to take the car back to the dealer to investigate this after already having it back after two days to have the moonroof replaced because of a problem with the weatherstripping....don't want to lose faith in Honda as I'm a loyal customer, but there certainly seems like there are some QC issues with the new 2015 Fit. <sigh>
Hi btg. I'm extremely curious what your dealer tells you. Mine gave the classic "we couldn't reproduce it." I'll say I've been sort of noticing it less, but I've also been revving 1st a little higher. I find if I come into second at around 2,200rpm, I don't feel it as often. But yesterday morning when it was cold, it jerked so hard that it felt like I had stomped on the break.

Last edited by m_x; 10-16-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:52 PM
btg
Originally Posted by m_x
Hi btg. I'm extremely curious what your dealer tells you. Mine gave the classic "we couldn't reproduce it." I'll say I've been sort of noticing it less, but I've also been revving 1st a little higher. I find if I come into second at around 2,200rpm, I don't feel it as often. But yesterday morning when it was cold, it jerked so hard that it felt like I had stomped on the break.
I'm not going to take it back in until I can reproduce it on every single shift, which isn't the case at the moment. I would agree with you that it seems more apparent when the car is cold. I live in Eastern Canada and the temps here are starting to drop as we head further into the Fall, so if this issue is related to engine/transmission temperature, it may become more reproducible for us living in more northern climes.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:34 AM
I also have the problem but its more prominent when the engine is still cool (blue oil light is off) but not cold. It usually happens in 2nd gear and you can actually see the tach needle bouncing while accelerating and feel the jerkiness. It does not happen all the time, maybe once every 2 or 3 mornings. Recently, it started doing it in first gear also.

Ill be taking the car in next week hopefully and I'll see what they say about it if they can diagnose any problems and report it here.

Best I can describe this problem is like a fuel cutoff (rev limiter) kind of feel and sound but not as rapid.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m_x
I've noticed that my second gear sort of judders a little bit at around 2,200rpms @ less than 25 mph (hope that made sense). I would describe it as two jerks right after one another....
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
I get this EXACT same thing, and I thought it was just me.....
Originally Posted by chubbs899
I noticed this too. so are people thinking that its a problem??....
Originally Posted by 8strung
I definitely experience this as well....
Originally Posted by btg
I'm definitely experiencing the same phenomenon in second gear. I've owned manual transmissions all my life;.....
Originally Posted by Andrewi56
I also have the problem but its more prominent when the engine is still cool (blue oil light is off) but not cold.....
I quoted these because these are all the people claiming issue. What I have found so far:
  • I noticed the problem since day two of owning my car. I blamed myself. I still think I was to blame.
  • I agree with the above comment about temp related.
  • I think it can be temp related only because of how the car likes to rev a little different when cold. Also just maybe the CDV moves a hair slower when the fluid is cold.
  • I think running the A/C also helps change the way the car shifts and can help replicate the issue.
  • I still have the problem from time to time. I still blame myself.
So here is how I've corrected it and this is also what makes it so tricky to fix for someone that has been driving a standard for many years..

A quick background.. My last 4 cylinder had a 7 pound aluminum flywheel with steel face and a SPEC 6 puck clutch. It created habits because it engages so hard, even jumpy if you didn't know what was happening. I used to use a little more slip or a little more rev when taking off and even at very low speed shifts to second.

Now how I fixed my 2nd gear stumble shudder jumpiness in my FIT... I tend let the clutch out much faster on my shift to second (this is opposite of how an old school m/t driver would do things. Normally a shudder or clunking means too fast off the clutch and/or not bringing in the throttle smoothly) And I almost delay (millisecond) before getting back in the throttle. I think very soft motor mounts plus the clutch delay valve and the previously mentioned 'lash' in the drive-train all equals the feeling.

Wow this is hard to explain!

Summary of the above if I was confusing. Let the clutch out faster at the top of the stroke. Don't delay because the CDV is delaying too. If you delay, the CDV delays and you are getting in the throttle like normal.. I think you will replicate the problem. Then the cold engine or A/C or defrost mode can all cause a change in the shift technique.

The curve ball with a tiny engine and defrost is that it only cycles the A/C pump. So the way the engine revs can change based on its engagement.

long winded... sorry. Hope this helps.

Last edited by CyclingFit; 10-21-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:01 PM
m_x
Awesome! Thanks for commenting everyone.

I'm not totally convinced it is temp related. Everyday I drive 30 miles to work on the highway. At the end there is a toll plaza where I typically have to shift into second to navigate the bottleneck of cars. The engine is HOT from the highway and sure enough, it will judder at the toll plaza. I do think that it is worse when the engine is cold, but it will do it at all temps.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m_x
Awesome! Thanks for commenting everyone.

I'm not totally convinced it is temp related. Everyday I drive 30 miles to work on the highway. At the end there is a toll plaza where I typically have to shift into second to navigate the bottleneck of cars. The engine is HOT from the highway and sure enough, it will judder at the toll plaza. I do think that it is worse when the engine is cold, but it will do it at all temps.
Sorry if I made it sound like it was narrowed down to being cold... A point I was trying to make in the post was that the shift technique varies because the engine varies due to air conditioning or cold engine temperatures or defrost running... Then the CDV really throws a curve ball.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:26 PM
m_x
All comments are appreciated CyclingFit, especially educated and informed opinions like yours. I just hope people are taking comfort in the fact that other Fits are doing the same thing.

I will try your tip and come off the clutch faster. I typically do kind of feather it a bit between 1st and 2nd. I find that the difference between 1st and 2nd gear is about 1,500 rpm (I've said that before in this thread and still don't know how much sense it makes). In other words, if I shift out of first @ 4k, the tach will drop about 1,500rpm when I let it out in second. I'll typically delay releasing the clutch in second until the engine slows down a bit and I can release more smoothly. On the way home today, I'll try being faster and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:17 AM
Since this is a Transmission Discussion could anyone here weigh in on the thread i just posted about the reverse gear?!? Thanks!!!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...rse-probs.html

Old 10-22-2014, 09:43 AM
m_x
Originally Posted by chubbs899
Since this is a Transmission Discussion could anyone here weigh in on the thread i just posted about the reverse gear?!? Thanks!!!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...rse-probs.html
I commented in your other thread.

Now

Quick Reply: M/T: Shaky Second Gear?