3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Anybody have a shutter when turning wheel hard left or right??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Anybody have a shutter when turning wheel hard left or right??

Hi Guys,

I was curious if anybody else has had this issue. When cranking the wheel hard right or left upon straightening out the is a shutter that can be felt through the steering wheel, pedals, etc. It is also slightly audible. My buddy who is into cars noticed it. Unfortunately the dealer cannot replicate the issue. It happens most commonly when turning and going up or down a parking lot entrance. Unfortunately, every time i leave my lot at work i experience it.

I am quite clueless. If i am on a flat surface it rarely does it.

I would like to go back to the dealer with a realistic possibility.

Does anybody have a wild guess here?

Old 12-07-2015, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
My Fiesta ST will activate its stability control when turning into the Lowes parking lot almost every time because it is an off camber up hill sharp turn and I hear it and feel it. I wonder if you are experiencing a similar situation?

Old 12-07-2015, 04:10 PM
That would be fantastic if thats what it was. Does the 2015 Fit have stability control? lol

To be honest after leaving my SI i havent paid much attention to what this thing has from the factory. Ive just been enjoying the MPG and room.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Yes "Vehicle Stability Assist", and you can turn it off to see if the problem goes away. Page 4 shows the switch location, lower left dash. Page 333 documents the procedure.
Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®), aka Electronic Stability Control (ESC), System
VSA® helps to stabilize the vehicle during cornering if the vehicle turns more or less than what was intended. It also assists in maintaining traction on slippery surfaces. It does so by regulating engine output and selectively applying the brakes. When VSA® activates, you may notice that the engine does not respond to the accelerator.

You may also notice some noise from the
hydraulic system.
You will also see the
indicator blink.

This button is on the driver side control panel. To partically turn the VSA features on and off, press and hold it until you hear a beep. The traction control stops fully functioning, allows the wheels to spin more freely at low speed. The VSA® OFF indicator will also come on. To turn it on again, press the (VSA® OFF) button until you hear a beep. VSA® is turned on every time you start the engine, even if you turned it off the last time you drove the vehicle

Good luck and report back with your findings. Anyone know what 'partically' means?

Last edited by tbFit; 12-07-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
i intentionally try to to "overturn" the steering wheel but i can say i have NEVER had this problem..that doesnt sound normal!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:50 PM
I tried with VSA off today and got the same result.

It is quite puzzling. If I drive in a circle on a flat surface it doesn't happen, the minute I am turning up an incline into or out of a parking lot it happens.

I must admit I am quite confused.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
i HAVE experienced something similar on very dry parkade concrete in parking garages , but not in a 2015 fit. What EXACTLY are you experiencing and is it a CVT or manual? I will try and duplicate it when possible, but the best explanation you can provide would help. If you feeling like you want to do something, you could rotate the tires front to back, and see if it makes any difference..maybe you are due for rotation anyway?..

Old 12-08-2015, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
reading your other posts on the subject, i would guess its something to do with the strut assembly, POSSIBLY the bearing at the top, it may be the spring is "winding up". is it EXACTLY the same on RH and LH turns? Just to confirm....you mean "shudders" ..correct? It definitely doesnt not sound normal though.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Lol yes, I do mean shudder...habit of the trade I am in...

Anyway, the tires have been rotated, probably a couple thousand mile ago.

When I accelerate coming into or out of a driveway, lot, parking structure...really anything with an incline and I make a turn immediately (meaning I do not drive straight once I reach the bottom or top of the incline) under any acceleration (unless i literally just let it idle down an incline) as the wheel straightens out after the turn is complete I get an audible and physical shudder. Almost as if a tire is skipping, or wheel hop (obv not as bad). I thought I read something on here about somebody having to lube the top bearing on their strut assembly, but I cant find the post again.

If I hold the wheel in a constant turn it doesn't do anything. Upon the wheel returning straight on a flat surface its happened once, on an incline it is every time. except when its at the dealer.....lol.

It is exactly the same on RH and LH turns.

FYI i apologize if anybody on here is a grammar nut. i am to used to using outlook all day at work and i am to tired to capitalize everything ha!

I have a CVT. Bone Stock.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:46 PM
Bump, any additional input?

Old 12-10-2015, 01:44 PM
m_x
Originally Posted by c_bongo
Bump, any additional input?
Well, several forum users (myself included) have had to have front strut assemblies replaced. I was at 26,000miles when I started hearing a soft hollow knocking sound coming from the front passenger side whenever I would go over a bump. Even small bumps. I took it to the dealer and the replaced the strut, strut bearing and strut cap and that fixed my issue.

Idk if or how this could relate to your issue, but maybe.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:58 PM
That's interesting, while my issue has been since last winter, I have heard sounds similar to yours lately.

I wonder if I would have better luck at another Honda dealer...

Old 12-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Nope. Never heard of this in any car.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:26 PM
When I make a tight left and right while accelerating from a dead start, there was a slight stuttered. whether it was on a wet or dry road.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:57 PM
I had something similar today when backing up. It's getting frustrating.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Well today I discovered that while turning reverse something is loose somewhere haha. The best description I can come up with is that it feels like one of my wheels is an egg. But as soon as the wheel is straight it's gone.

Everything that I can find is tight.

I think this might be one of those wait until it breaks type of fix.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
does the alignment VISUALLy look ok ?..wow thats a real headscratcher...is it repeatable in reverse ?...maybe take it to the dealer if it is. That could be GOOD news. Ill keep thinking about it, ill let you know if i come up with anything. Keep us posted every few weeks how it going. Just guessing but:
bent rim?-the egg thing....pretty easy to check
power steering issue?--no idea what issue....on another thread someone said their sensor wasnt seated and they had some issues..this is a long shot...

Old 12-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by 2015FITEX
does the alignment VISUALLy look ok ?..wow thats a real headscratcher...is it repeatable in reverse ?...maybe take it to the dealer if it is. That could be GOOD news. Ill keep thinking about it, ill let you know if i come up with anything. Keep us posted every few weeks how it going. Just guessing but:
bent rim?-the egg thing....pretty easy to check
power steering issue?--no idea what issue....on another thread someone said their sensor wasnt seated and they had some issues..this is a long shot...
Thank you. I haven't checked if it's repeatable. Long day at the office and all I could think about was inching home in traffic. I will pay attention in the morning and when I leave tomorrow night.

Visually I'm not really sure what else to check. The alignment looks ok.

I'm honestly pretty stumped...still

Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-steering.html

hondacustsvc responded to this one...this seems similar to your complaint?

Old 12-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by 2015FITEX
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-steering.html

hondacustsvc responded to this one...this seems similar to your complaint?
I knew I read something like that on here! That's fantastic. I have an oil change on Monday. I'm going to brings this in. If nothing else I have a possible fix to try at home. Thanks you!

Quick Reply: Anybody have a shutter when turning wheel hard left or right??