3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Anybody have a shutter when turning wheel hard left or right??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Bit of a long shot, but perhaps it's a steering fluid problem? Had a CRV that was doing this, flushing the fluid seemed to clear the problem up. Was well into the life of the CRV that this popped up, though.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:58 AM
I think its electric power steering, though I did check everything this morning.

Back to the link that was posted on the prior page, after reading and doing some looking around I decided to remove the black covers on the wiper cowel that cover the from struts. There is a rubber (bushing) that tightens against the body of the car and move as the wheels are turned in each direction. I thought this definitely could be an issue and the bushings sort of have "teeth." there was some type of lubricant on them but I does seem a little dry to me. I shot some silicone spray in there, so we will see what happens.

I will keep updating the thread.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
Yes! Noticed it for the first time last week. Has happened twice to me so far. Something in the electric power steering?

Old 12-29-2015, 06:05 AM
I'm honestly not sure.

Since I have lubricated pretty much every piece of rubber in the suspension that I could find Wisconsin decided it's finally winter so I have yet to test on a completely smooth incline.

The rest of the week looks clear though, I am going to drive to several locations that have caused the shudder in the past.

To be honest, if it wasn't for my office this wouldn't bother me nearly as much. The exit I use from the lot is on a tight road. It does it everyday.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:22 PM
So good news and bad news.

After a week or so of driving (after lubricating) i haven"t had the vibration/noise. Not really long enough to make a final decision, but definitely an improvement.

Bad news...my car shut off and the restarted itself going 45 mph the other night and has been at honda for 2 days straight now without any issues being found. On the plus side they want to keep it until they are positive it wont happen again...

Actually, they called as I was typing this. One of the antennas that works with the immobilizer system went bad and needs to be replaced. So while I hate to be without my car i am happy that they worked to fix it.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
the rubber could obvously be your problem but i dont think it actually "turns".per sec...there is a bearing that does the "turning", possibly you lubricated that ?

Old 01-08-2016, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
do you have push button start?

Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Yes, I do have push button start.

As far as the rubber. It does move as the wheels are turned. If you pop the hood and remove the covers in the wiper cowel to expose the top and turn the wheel to the right and left. You can see by the original lubricant marks that they do move against the chassis significantly. The passenger side had significantly less grease on it. Turning was probably a bad description but they do change position. Though it is likely that something beneath/behind them did catch some of the lube.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:03 PM
Also, it's worth noting the Honda is "aware of an antenna issue with the immobilizer system" as they have had a few similar cases.

Figured I would post that in case somebody else has had an issue.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:22 PM
I think it is an alignment issue when accelerating too hard in either forward or reverse, around a tight corner.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Cyphor
I think it is an alignment issue when accelerating too hard in either forward or reverse, around a tight corner.
Well I've had my car back for about a week now and it's only happened again once since I lubed the top of the suspension.

I am going to have the alignment checked though. The only thing that makes me suspicious of everything is that it happens regardless of hard or soft acceleration.

Idk. I'm to the point now that if its not the alignment I'm just going to back off and let the problem continue to develop and see what happens. I've spent a lot of time on this issue with minimal results.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:38 PM
Same, was worried that I was the only one with the issue.