3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Clunky noise when steering.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Clunky noise when steering.

Got a 2015 Fit EX last month and so far, it has spent more time with Honda service than in my driveway. There is a clunky noise when the steering wheel returns from a full lock to the left (only to the left). When the noise happens, I can feel a slight tremor through the floor board. The car has been in twice, one of those times for a full week. Things were done, parts were replaced, but so far, the problem wasn't fixed. I'm taking it in for the third time tomorrow. The sad thing is I really like this car, aside from this pesky issue. Anyone out there experience the same problem? If so, what was the fix? Thank you in advance.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Dang, I was waiting for someone with a REAL answer. If your car had 100K on it there's lot's of stuff I'd be suspicious about (CV joints, etc) but on a NEW car?
I hate to say it, but how long until you bump into the NJ lemon law limits? In NY they get 4 tried at fixing it...

Old 11-10-2014, 05:24 PM
Nope. The car had exactly 100 miles on it the first time I took it in. They "looked at everything": steering column, struts, etc and made sure everything was nice and tight, which it seemed to be. Next day, I heard the noise again. That time, they kept it for a week, until they found on Honda TekLink a "similar" issue on a 2015 that was fixed by replacing the top mount of the left strut. So they did that. I got it back and the next day, the noise was back.
I think they get three tries under NJ Lemon Law. I'd like to avoid that route, if possible, as it sounds involved and complicated with court appearances and such. At the same time, if they can't fix it...
I was hoping maybe someone on here might have some experience with a similar issue...

Old 11-10-2014, 05:29 PM
its okay my car has been to the dealership about 10 times now, and they've had it for a couple weeks total, plus a couple hundred miles they put on it...

Not to mention all the work hours missed and runarounds and phone calls and all four different dealerships it's been at.

And it is still not fixed, nor will they fix it, because all the shit that's wrong with it is "in spec". Don't be surprised if the end result is "that clunk is a characteristic of the car".

Old 11-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by NutFit54
Got a 2015 Fit EX last month and so far, it has spent more time with Honda service than in my driveway. There is a clunky noise when the steering wheel returns from a full lock to the left (only to the left). When the noise happens, I can feel a slight tremor through the floor board. The car has been in twice, one of those times for a full week. Things were done, parts were replaced, but so far, the problem wasn't fixed. I'm taking it in for the third time tomorrow. The sad thing is I really like this car, aside from this pesky issue. Anyone out there experience the same problem? If so, what was the fix? Thank you in advance.
NutFit54,

Sorry to hear about this. This definitely seems to be very unusual. Please private message us with your full name, VIN, mileage and dealer so we can better assist you.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Update - After several tries, problem seems to have been fixed: appears to have been lack of lubricant in the right front strut which cause friction between the bearing and rubber gasket. Seems odd in a brand new car, but kudos to the team at Garden State Honda. They never gave me that funny look and did not give up.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by NutFit54
Update - After several tries, problem seems to have been fixed: appears to have been lack of lubricant in the right front strut which cause friction between the bearing and rubber gasket. Seems odd in a brand new car, but kudos to the team at Garden State Honda. They never gave me that funny look and did not give up.
In reading your post it seems the right front strut was defective and the dealer replaced it? I don't think they could just add lubricant to it.
Just curious here. Bill #22335

Old 11-22-2014, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BILLBOGEY
In reading your post it seems the right rfront strut was defective and the dealer replaced it? I don't think they could just add lubricant to it.
Just curious here. Bill #22335
Something here is not adding up. The final invoice vis-a-vis the issue will not show a lubricated strut, I dare say. Whatever.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
hmm, i am having this issue as well. i turn left into my driveway, and it has happened a few times now. it is not consistant though. lubricant you say?

Old 11-23-2014, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Shoot some silicone between the spring and the spring seat, i.e. lubricate the strut.

Also check your CV boots.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:21 PM
I have had it happen occasionally. It sounds like a dry steering bump stop, but I didn't see one under the car. I'm not too worried about it. They will release a bulletin eventually.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Shoot some silicone between the spring and the spring seat, i.e. lubricate the strut.

Also check your CV boots.
most of the front end was removed for warranty work, and i went over every accessible nut and bolt, including cv's and everything was tight.

when i put her on the lift for the next oil change, i will try the silicone trick. thanks.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:37 PM
loud clunk noise from front right side

Just had my Fit 2015 EX about a month now, I can hear a loud clunk noise from front right side when I do a shape backing up to my driveway. I wish there is a recall for this issue, because I hate to explain to the dealer.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by FitFactor
Just had my Fit 2015 EX about a month now, I can hear a loud clunk noise from front right side when I do a shape backing up to my driveway. I wish there is a recall for this issue, because I hate to explain to the dealer.
Give the engineers time. I'm sure they are working on a solution.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
When the vehicle has more vertical miles than horizontal......I'd go the Lemon Law route if it's not fixed at this last visit.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
bump, been having this issue for a few thousand miles but now that I actually drive the car and not ride the train I notice it more and it's annoying!! It stops once I get on a highway usually past 40mph. But it's most noticeable going down a street or a parking garage around 0-25mph. Sounds like the shock is bottoming out or something and I can even sense it in the steering under the floor boards. Mine is on the drivers side!

Old 11-30-2016, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Just an update. Took the car to the dealership (as I'm still under warranty) and the service tech reproduced the sound with me in the car. They kept the car while ordering parts and it turns out replacing the drivers side top hat for the strut fixed the problem. No more clunking/knocking noises