2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

creaking noise when turning wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:44 AM
creaking noise when turning wheel

Odd problem: Noticed that when I turn my wheel to the right (usually at least 1 whole turn and more) there is a creaking noise. If i leave the steering wheel positioned to the right and move the car up and down, the creaking noise is louder. Does not do it when the steering is to the left. Does not sound like power steering. I did not have enough time to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.

Note - when wheels are straight, I cannot reproduce this sound when pushing the car up and down. Only when I have the wheel pointed to the passenger side will it make this creaking sound.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by chilow
Odd problem: Noticed that when I turn my wheel to the right (usually at least 1 whole turn and more) there is a creaking noise. If i leave the steering wheel positioned to the right and move the car up and down, the creaking noise is louder. Does not do it when the steering is to the left. Does not sound like power steering. I did not have enough time to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.

Note - when wheels are straight, I cannot reproduce this sound when pushing the car up and down. Only when I have the wheel pointed to the passenger side will it make this creaking sound.
There are several things it could be, so you'll have to see if you can get in closer, and pinpoint exactly where its coming from.

I would start by listening near the the tie rod, ball joint, and strut itself.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I get a creaking noise when cornering. Its behind the seatbelt adjuster on the driver side somewhere. I think it is totaly unrelated to what you are hearing though.

What you can do is turn the wheel and have someone else push the car up and down while you listen. Try using a little rubber hose in your ear to help pinpoint where it is coming from.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by chilow

i have the same problem on my civic. i havent found out what it is yet...mine only happens when i make a U-Turn

Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
if you have access to a lift, or just are nimble, what you do is just spray down some components with some kind of spray lubricant (silicone spray, wd-40, spray lithium, pb blaster penetrating), and see what part may make the noise go away.

Spray lubricant isn't the right lube though, so once you figure out what is the creak , grease it with some proper lube.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 PM
sounds like a bushing is going out or your strut is creaking.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Have you lowered your car or replaced the springs/shocks done any kind of suspension work that would put you out of alignment? I just put my stock suspension back on the car and, mostly likely because it is out of alignment, the sway bar is creaking/popping. But only on the right side...

Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 PM
This is my friends car. To my knowledge, nothing has been done to it aftermarket wise. I do not recall seeing a swaybar underneath either.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
So I had same problem when i turn left or when i got the steering wheel and move it back and forth it would creak took it to dealer it was the shock blown so they said and they replace it was gone

Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Wafulz
So I had same problem when i turn left or when i got the steering wheel and move it back and forth it would creak took it to dealer it was the shock blown so they said and they replace it was gone
Wouldn't a blown shock make noises regardless of where the wheel is positioned? I pushed the car up and down and the noise is only present when the wheel is turned to the right

Btw car only has 20k miles

Last edited by chilow; 04-25-2012 at 11:17 AM.