3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

2016 Center Console Latch Button Broke

Old 11-05-2018, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
2016 Center Console Latch Button Broke

The lid-top cover of my center console, has a latch button.
Somehow, mine broke, because when I went to open it if fell out. There are two tabs on both sides and it one of the tabs broke.

I bought some JB Weld, and I have high hopes it will be repairable.
But...
My problem is, when I lifted the lid and discovered it was broken, the latch piece(s)...and a spring, all popped out.
And I'm not exactly sure what direction the spring goes in.

I'm going to let the epoxy set for 24 hours, and maybe I can just figure it out through experimentation. But if anyone has had similar happen? Or has a diagram of the part I'm talking about?

I hope I can repair it. Because I'm sure Honda doesn't sell the singular latch piece itself. You probably have to buy the whole console.

I don't remember doing anything that would of caused it to break. I just went to raise it, and it popped out in 3 piece..latch, broken latch tab, and spring.
Has anyone else had that particular piece break?

Old 11-06-2018, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
lmk if this helps/works

Attached Files
Old 11-07-2018, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Tried some JB quik Weld to glue the tab back.
Unfortunately the break is in such a thin,weak space, and everytime I try to replace the latch, the tab breaks again.
I'm trying one more time after letting it set 24 hours. But if it breaks, I may have to try a different plastic epoxy. Then if that doesn't work? Conclude I can't repair the latch piece.

I suppose I can investigate the possibility of somehow getting "just" that piece, but I think it would be hard. You'd almost have to get lucky at a U-Pull it auto yard, and people descend on pieces like that, like vultures.

On the positive side?
The whole lid looks fine, and still functions OK. It's just a hinged lid and it stays down on it's own weight and merit. So even if I can't fix it, it will be OK. Just bothers me, because if I could just get that tab back....I'd be OK.

Anyone know of a really great plastic to plastic epoxy? Has to be REALLY strong.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Not epoxy, but E6000 adhesive. Have u looked into that?

honestly i would just leave it alone if that was my car. no need to latch.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
If it were me, I’d be looking for some way to reinforce the break point, either with a strip
of metal on one side or drilling and inserting some pins for strength.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan

honestly i would just leave it alone if that was my car. no need to latch.
Agreed ….. just messing with mine, I barely need to lift it for the latch to unlatch....and you can't lock it, I wouldn't be bothered, personally. Just don't overstuff it so stuff pushes it up, all is well

Old 11-07-2018, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice.
I very well might just be forced to ignore it. It really doesn't make too much of a difference.
But if I can fix it? I'll give it a few more tries.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 PM
I JUST (today) replaced the lid on my 15 with a new one, and the silver trim around the shifter...The lid was 45.00 and the trim was 27.00- and while it was apart I did the upgraded shift boot retainer and weighted shift knob/shifter, and added bezels around my seat-heater switches for my aftermarket leather. console removal is easy, not that you need to do it to change a lid

Old 11-09-2018, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I haven't done too extensive of a personal search.
My local Honda Dealership parts department quoted me $195 for the lid.
$45, I'd consider. $195..ain't gonna happen.

Even though...
I've already made about a $15 investment into epoxy and glue....that stuff isn't cheap.
I need to start breaking other stuff, just to make it worth while.....

Old 04-07-2019, 08:51 PM
YES. This just happened to me last week. I opened the lid, put something in and let it close and the latch broke in three pieces. I haven't been successful in finding a replacement without buying a new lid. Going to try some glue as well. Have you had any luck?

Originally Posted by fitchet
Somehow, mine broke, because when I went to open it if fell out. There are two tabs on both sides and it one of the tabs broke.

But...
My problem is, when I lifted the lid and discovered it was broken, the latch piece(s)...and a spring, all popped out.

I'm going to let the epoxy set for 24 hours, and maybe I can just figure it out through experimentation. But if anyone has had similar happen? Or has a diagram of the part I'm talking about?

I hope I can repair it. Because I'm sure Honda doesn't sell the singular latch piece itself. You probably have to buy the whole console.

I don't remember doing anything that would of caused it to break. I just went to raise it, and it popped out in 3 piece..latch, broken latch tab, and spring.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:31 PM
Look 3D printed one!

Originally Posted by fitchet

But...

I told my friend how much it was going to cost and they printed me a part with their 3D printer.. I’m sure I’m not the only one who still has a broken console. Sounds like the part should be recalled. Did you ever fix yours?