3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

"Extreme" cold prevents windows from opening

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 01:36 PM
"Extreme" cold prevents windows from opening

Due to the cold weather some of us are experience this week (currently 12 deg F), I'm unable to open 2 of my windows in my '18 Fit (driver front side, passenger rear side). I already had cleared off the ice between the door sill opening and the window glass. Could some of the water gotten inside the door and froze internally preventing the window from opening? Is my only recourse to just wait until the weather warms up? I have not had this happened to me with other cars in the past no matter the temperature.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
If the window motor is actuating on the frozen windows, then it's probably ice getting stuck at the seals at a spot you can't see or get at.

Gentle heat around the window frame, like a hair dryer on low, might help, as would letting the car sit in a warm spot for a few hours if you have the option. I know, not easy in this weather.

Also try slamming the doors with a little force, not too much. That might help shake things loose too.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
You could also try a deicing solution of rubbing alochol and water

Old 02-01-2019, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
One of my windows got stuck too; was also snail slow to open and close.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
I have not had this happened to me with other cars in the past no matter the temperature.
It's normal for just about any car to do it if conditions are right, regardless whether you ever witnessed it before or not.

Your windows will work again when they thaw out.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
Some moisture has gotten in there somewhere and frozen. As ezone has said, your windows will work again when they thaw out.

To add to the recommendations, if you are impatient you could find one of those heated underground car park places and park your car there for a few hours while you go to the movies or whatever. Your window should be working properly again when you come back. But yes, there is a chance it could re-freeze again when you drive outside again.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, this happens. Honda in my experience does not focus on design for cold weather. Either it's not important to them or they don't understand winter weather (the south of Japan doesn't face winter extremes like the northern parts of the US). I mostly notice this with the wiper housing at the base of the windshield; the wipers are exposed and the shape of the housing does not lend itself to clearing out snow or ice. Sometimes it's worse: we had freezing rain a week ago and my car froze solid; couldn't open any of the doors or trunk even after removing all visible ice. I had to remote start the car and wait for it to heat up.

Every winter I think - I should have bought a Subaru ..

Old 02-02-2019, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
I've heard a truck off using some kind of lubricant on the door seals to prevent them from sticking when it gets frozen. I haven't had to deal with it myself yet but might be worth trying.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Yep, this happens. Honda in my experience does not focus on design for cold weather. Either it's not important to them or they don't understand winter weather (the south of Japan doesn't face winter extremes like the northern parts of the US). I mostly notice this with the wiper housing at the base of the windshield; the wipers are exposed and the shape of the housing does not lend itself to clearing out snow or ice. Sometimes it's worse: we had freezing rain a week ago and my car froze solid; couldn't open any of the doors or trunk even after removing all visible ice. I had to remote start the car and wait for it to heat up.

I live in a cold northern state that gets a lot of snow.

I've never once thought this.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
I usually don’t open my windows when it’s that cold so I don’t know if mine froze up last week or not.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitty18
Due to the cold weather some of us are experience this week (currently 12 deg F), I'm unable to open 2 of my windows in my '18 Fit (driver front side, passenger rear side). I already had cleared off the ice between the door sill opening and the window glass. Could some of the water gotten inside the door and froze internally preventing the window from opening? Is my only recourse to just wait until the weather warms up? I have not had this happened to me with other cars in the past no matter the temperature.
From what I've read online, spraying the rubber, tracks, and anything else that moves and touches with silicone should help.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I've heard a truck off using some kind of lubricant on the door seals to prevent them from sticking when it gets frozen. I haven't had to deal with it myself yet but might be worth trying.
Auto and DIY sites publish lists of things to do with cars for the winter, and spraying rubber gaskets with silicone is a standard recommendation. See #4 and #5 in the link below.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/autom...-car/view-all/

Old 02-14-2019, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa

Iced windows have happened with every car I've owned. Not just Honda. It's the reality of living in a cold climate. I spray a deicer along the window or just wait for the defrosters to thaw it out.