'17 EX-L Navi USB Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 08:24 AM
'17 EX-L Navi USB Issue...

I have one album that will not be recognized by the Fit's system via the USB port. I am using a hard formatted Sandisk Cruzer Edge 8GB drive. All other albums will play just fine with the exception of this one album. The tracks are .mp3, like all other albums. This album will not show up on the display whether it is the only album/folder on the drive or on with other albums. The folder shows up on our W10 PC and will play on the PC. The folder also shows up on the Navi system in our '13 Civic EX-L and plays correctly. The album was ripped from the original CD on the PC with Windows Media Player and then dragged/dropped onto the flash drive. I don't believe copy protection is at play here as the album plays just fine on the Civic's system. I just don't know what's different about the Fit's Navi that is causing this issue. All other flash drives play fine. Any clues?

Old 05-25-2019, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, you'd think in the 21st century, we'd have this figured out by now. Before I replaced my head unit with an aftermarket, the head unit would completely freeze when I attached one of my ipods, but not the others. Go figure.

Most likely a software issue in the head unit. If under warranty, you could take it to a dealer and have them flash the software to the head unit, that might solve it. If not, I'd just put your collection on a different flash drive - they're cheap enough these days - and see if it works.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:12 AM
It could be the folder name length. Try shortening it. It's reasons like this that I gave up on the OEM head unit.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:55 AM
Well, this has been a learning experience! I discovered that Windows Media Player was putting album art in the form of system .jpg files into the ripped folder. Not sure what that does to the the Fit's Navi system. I removed them, but a formatted Memorex 2 GB drive would not play either. Then I saw ActionJackson's post so I shortened the album title from 72 characters to 22 characters, and viola! it plays. The stupid thing is that the long title caused the entire folder to be ignored. If it was the only folder on the drive, the system ignored the entire flash drive and wouldn't show it on the input sources display. Thank you so much. I was really confused by the issue since it plays with the long title in the Civic, but they are far different systems. The Navi in the Civic was used by Porsche in the Cayenne, so maybe it's a better unit. Who knows, but now I know to check ripped CDs for album art and to watch out for obscenely long folder names.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:04 AM
If you think a long folder name is dumb, you'll go nuts when it plays the folder, but skips some songs b/c.... the song name is too long i.e.: "thissongtitleiswaytoolongforthefittoreadinCminor. mp3", which makes many of my classical music tracks with ridiculously shortened names listed. You can still edit the metatag so that the song title shows up on screen properly. I used to use mp3tag.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
How many of you are old enough to remember the old 8.3 file format which existed back in the Windows 3.1 era. File names could not be longer than 8 characters long for any windows computer, and extensions 3 characters long.. Talk about frustration. Incidentally, the problem you are experiencing may have something to do with this (from Wiki):

The ISO 9660 file system (mainly used on compact discs) has similar limitations at the most basic Level 1, with the additional restriction that directory names cannot contain extensions and that some characters (notably hyphens) are not allowed in filenames. Level 2 allows filenames of up to 31 characters, more compatible with classic AmigaOS and classic Mac OS filenames.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:34 PM
I do remember that about filename lengths.

As to the original post, there are a few exceptions that no matter the length of the folder or filename, the files will just not play unless they are in the root directory. i.e. my Conan the Barbarian soundtrack (Entrade ?version).