For those who plan to use a USB Flash Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MyFit15
I wonder if USB flash drive needs to be safetly ejected when plugged in these types of devices. Would this even apply to this touch screen interface. If lets say I unplug it, won't this harm the flash drive or crash the Honda link system?
The need for safe ejecting is because of write caching. I don't imagine it would be writing anything to your flash drive, so I'm sure it's fine.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Thanks hampton1, that alleviates my concern.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Can you play videos from USB? Or is that only going to be through HDMI?

Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ReduxInflux
Just received mine in the mail. I created a music folder and dumped my favorites from my itunes library into the folder. Only problem is - when I plugged the flash drive into the port of my car - it didn't recognize it. The system shows the USB drive has something in it - but it gives me 'no data'. What format do the files have to be in?
Mine are all in MP3 and M4A/AAC and work fine.

I would format your drive to completely erase it and start again.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mvalpreda
Can you play videos from USB? Or is that only going to be through HDMI?
Only through HDMI I believe.

To be honest though, I haven't tried a video through USB. I will try and report back.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by andre181
Only through HDMI I believe.

To be honest though, I haven't tried a video through USB. I will try and report back.
I tried but could not get it to work but the thumb drive is awesome, its so small it is almost hard to remove! LOL

I think maybe someone had asked about if it would work thru either of the usb ports on the ex and above and the answer is yes it will.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by andre181
I did. Today was my first day of vacation so I got to ride around in my new baby and check it out.

I really like the USB. When I bought the car, I planned on using my phone almost exclusively for music (like I've done with the past 2 cars), but I bought the USB drive just as a backup. I figured I'd load it up with some music and use it from time to time, but now, I think I'll use it most of the time.

What I did, was put each artist/album into its own folder. The car lets you browse by folder, so if I want to listen to some Linkin Park, for example, I can go to the LP folder, and all the LP jams are there. You can shuffle or repeat in a single folder or among all folders which is nice too if you want a mix of everything.

The car has two tabs. First tab shows all the folders, select the one you want, and it brings you to the second tab which shows all tracks in that folder and from there you can hit track 3 and track 3 plays.

Its a pretty slick setup.

Unfortunately there is no voice commands for searching. You are limited to next/prev folder and next/prev track.

I'll go out and take some pics of the interface in a little bit and share them here.
Thanks so much for the inspiration of locating the small profile drive and trying this Andre181. I plugged mine in for the first time this morning, and it really is a great addition. I only put about 20 songs on, and loaded them in various ways to test how the interface would handle it. Folders is definitely the way to go, since the only control you have is selecting folders via the touchscreen and then scrolling through songs using the steering-wheel-mounted controls.

Given my growing disillusion with most of the infotainment options, I'm glad to have another simple, functional way to enjoy music besides using the phone via Bluetooth.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
I have to ask again, does anyone know if the LX can play off a flash drive as well? Thanks!

Old 06-28-2014, 02:23 PM
I got one of those tiny compact USBs. It works really well and you can't event see that anything is there!

Old 06-28-2014, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
I went ahead and got one.

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2014, 02:44 PM
I did mine to fat32 and it worked fine.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by 8strung
I have to ask again, does anyone know if the LX can play off a flash drive as well? Thanks!
i think Curlgurl has an LX and see just posted she is using one.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:56 PM
That's correct! I'm now coming into this decade by ditching my CDs! Haha

Old 06-28-2014, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
What is the playback experience like with the USB? Can you shuffle, or just basically point to a folder and it plays what it wants to play and you can skip through if you want?

I'll know once I get mine, but I don't have it yet.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Raziaar
What is the playback experience like with the USB? Can you shuffle, or just basically point to a folder and it plays what it wants to play and you can skip through if you want?

I'll know once I get mine, but I don't have it yet.
Yes you can shuffle.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestion of this tiny USB drive - the longer I wait for my car, the more time I have to put more music on it I use mainly USB drive in the upper glove box in my 2009 Fit, so hopefully the folder system I'm used to will be reasonably similar to the new interface in the 2015!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
So now that I have the USB stick... one thing I don't seem to be able to do is pause the music playing.

Why can't I find a pause anywhere when playing with USB?

Is this an extreme oversight or am I just blind? When accessing where the pause was before, all I can see is things like shuffle, scan, repeat.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by Raziaar
So now that I have the USB stick... one thing I don't seem to be able to do is pause the music playing.

Why can't I find a pause anywhere when playing with USB?

Is this an extreme oversight or am I just blind? When accessing where the pause was before, all I can see is things like shuffle, scan, repeat.
While the music is playing press the page button on the steering wheel the one right below the volume and enter button. It should bring up a menu on screen. Thats if my CRS isnt kicking in. Lol

PS: YEP! As suspected, CRS, you have to be on the screen that shows the song you are listening to and then you can hit the page button and it brings up scan, repeat etc...its a series of commands and my aging mine makes me relearn every time I get into the car! LOL

Last edited by tmfit; 07-02-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
I've found a number of very small USB drives that will do this. HP makes one that is barely larger than the plug end of a conventional USB drive!

I stopped using SanDisk drives several years ago when they decided that they would include the U3 virus on their sticks. SanDisk wanted its users to install their U3 software on every computer the drive was plugged into and therefore they didn't bother to ask before installing! Not cool! Even though U3 is pretty much dead I still avoid SanDisk as who knows what their next bright idea will be.
I believe there are utilities available that will low-level format them as a single volume -- eliminating the U3 garbage from the second virtual volume and merging that bit of space with the usable storage. I've also noticed that the SanDisk drives I've bought in the past couple of years haven't had U3 on them at all.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tmfit
While the music is playing press the page button on the steering wheel the one right below the volume and enter button. It should bring up a menu on screen. Thats if my CRS isnt kicking in. Lol

PS: YEP! As suspected, CRS, you have to be on the screen that shows the song you are listening to and then you can hit the page button and it brings up scan, repeat etc...its a series of commands and my aging mine makes me relearn every time I get into the car! LOL
Nope.

There's no pause on there. There's no stop on there.

It's always either playing, or playing while muted. Very ODD.

Quick Reply: For those who plan to use a USB Flash Drive