For those who plan to use a USB Flash Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:42 PM
BMO
Originally Posted by Raziaar
Nope.

There's no pause on there. There's no stop on there.

It's always either playing, or playing while muted. Very ODD.
I was thinking about this, and I realized that I have never had a pause button on a car stereo, but that I used the power button as a pause button. I tried it out tonight, and you can use the power button (to the left of the CD tray) to pause MP3 audio. It turns off the audio (which pauses the song), but leaves the head unit on for Bluetooth and cameras.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMO
I was thinking about this, and I realized that I have never had a pause button on a car stereo, but that I used the power button as a pause button. I tried it out tonight, and you can use the power button (to the left of the CD tray) to pause MP3 audio. It turns off the audio (which pauses the song), but leaves the head unit on for Bluetooth and cameras.
Well, mute button anyway. Gotta touch the screen for that.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Recommended USB flash drive?

From the User Manual page 225:

Use a recommended USB flash drive of 256 MB or higher
Nowhere in the manual can I find a list of "recommended USB flash drives".

I am looking to buy this Kingston DTDUO3 64GB microDuo USB 3.0:

Kingston 64GB DataTraveler microDuo USB 3.0 On-The-Go Flash Drive - Rakuten.com Shopping

and would like to know if it would work in the 2015 Fit EX?

Old 09-29-2014, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMO
Press the SOURCE button on the steering wheel (left side). It will select the next source in the list (FM1, FM2, AM, Bluetooth..) but will stop the USB play immediately and pick right back up when you select USB as the source

Old 10-02-2014, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Is there anyway from USB or maybe a USB Dongle to play video/moving for people in the back seat while the car is in motion?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone successfully using an exFAT (>32GB) dongle? Thanks.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Anyone successfully using an exFAT (>32GB) dongle? Thanks.
I have a 64GB on order and will test when it arrives.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
I went ahead and bought the 64 GB version of the Sandisk Cruiser Fit and so far have about 45 GB of M4A files on it. It's organized like this:

Flash Drive Directory Structure
GENRE folders at root level (as we define the genre, name in all caps)
. Artist folders ("Various" for compilations)
.. Album folder(s)
... (optional level) Disc Name and/or Number folder
.... Song Files and "folder.jpg" file for album/disc cover

Song Names
[single-digit disc number followed by dash] and/or [two-digit track number followed by space] followed by long file name.extension (.mp3 or .m4a}

The Fit does not alphabetize the folder names, but appears to display them in the order they exist (or were added) in the file system. I think I'm going to copy the flash drive to a hard drive, reformat the flash drive, and copy them back.

It does accommodate Neil Youngs Archives box set, which has names for each of the eight CDs (optional level above), in the folder listing.

[edit: it appears the Fit ignores folder.jpg, only displaying the album cover if it's embedded in the song file]

Last edited by Fitmo; 10-27-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chrisjones
I believe there are utilities available that will low-level format them as a single volume -- eliminating the U3 garbage from the second virtual volume and merging that bit of space with the usable storage. I've also noticed that the SanDisk drives I've bought in the past couple of years haven't had U3 on them at all.
SanDisk stopped doing that few years ago. In fact the last couple of flash drives of theirs nothing on them except formatted in FAT32. I too had one with U3 crap so low formatted it to get rid of it.

All of my SD media are SanDisk and nothing on them so you should be fine.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Thank you for this thread! Couldn't find the Sandisk so I found the Patriot version of a low profile stick.

Loaded up my MP3s last night, plugged it in this morning on the way to hiking trail and hit source USB instantly it started playing.

Love this feature and never would have discovered it without this thread.

And I love my Fit.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by andre181
This guy is small enough to fit in the USB port under the radio AND the car's USB port cover closes fully.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-032G-B35: Computers & Accessories

I just thought I'd share because I know there are people like me who can't stand clutter in the car.
I went and got this, or one very similar to it, and I love it!

But of course I have a question - when I open the thumb drive on my computer it's organized by Artist Folder > Album Folder > song files, just as you would expect (if it makes a difference I used WMP to sync to the thumb drive).
When it's plugged into the Fit LX USB port I only see the album folders. This doesn't matter too much since most of the time I'm using Random, but if I want to listen to a particular album it would be much easier to find the artist and then the album than to try to sort through almost 500 album folders.
What am I missing? How do I back up a level to see the Artist Folders?

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by StealthGray
I went and got this, or one very similar to it, and I love it!

But of course I have a question - when I open the thumb drive on my computer it's organized by Artist Folder > Album Folder > song files, just as you would expect (if it makes a difference I used WMP to sync to the thumb drive).
When it's plugged into the Fit LX USB port I only see the album folders. This doesn't matter too much since most of the time I'm using Random, but if I want to listen to a particular album it would be much easier to find the artist and then the album than to try to sort through almost 500 album folders.
What am I missing? How do I back up a level to see the Artist Folders?

Thanks!
Really, no tips from the tech gurus? I did dig through the owners manual but didn't see anything. I may just be stuck with all the album folders but it would be nice if there was a way around that....

Old 11-10-2014, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
In the folder list view, I see all folders. You should see

Artist name
- Artist first album name
- Artist second album name (or name of disk 2 of first album)

and so on

What is the very first folder in your list?

Old 11-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I see all the folders for the Albums. I'd *like* to see an Artist folder, open it, and find folders for all the associated albums from that artist inside. I might be looking for something the radio won't do.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Perhaps I failed to communicate... you should see both Artist and Album folders in the folder list. There is no looking at a list of top level folders only, clicking one, and then looking at a list of second level folders that were in that first clicked folder, clicking one... and so on. I'm doing this from memory since the wife has the Fit today.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Ah, got it Fitmo! And had to go double check. Lots and lots of album folders and no Artist folders. I might need to reformat and try again, but I'm not in a rush for that

Old 11-15-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure what the difference is between the LX and EX screens besides size and the volume buttons, but does anyone know if there's a mod for a 1/8" stereo input for the 7" screen?

Old 11-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
The Fit does not alphabetize the folder names, but appears to display them in the order they exist (or were added) in the file system. I think I'm going to copy the flash drive to a hard drive, reformat the flash drive, and copy them back.
Did you figure out how to alphabetize? Mine is all over the place, and 60+gb of music, hunting for an out-of-order song is garbage.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rahl071
Did you figure out how to alphabetize? Mine is all over the place, and 60+gb of music, hunting for an out-of-order song is garbage.
Not yet. I've still got some music to convert to a compatible format, then I'm going to copy it all to my Linux server, reformat the flash drive, and copy it back through my MacBook, hoping it will copy them in alphabetical order.

If I had another spare flash drive, I could maybe do 3 or 4 artists with 3 or 4 albums each and see how that worked before spending all that time copying 50+ GB again.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by rahl071
I recommend using Mp3tag, as suggested in a different thread. After I got going with the program it's a pretty quick way to renumber songs in a folder. I haven't used to to create a playlist folder, but I did renumber multi-disc albums so they're continuous in one folder.

Quick Reply: For those who plan to use a USB Flash Drive