"Secret" GPS on non navi EX models

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 03:59 PM
A little late into the discussion, but does the non-nav Display Audio unit set its own clock? Getting the time would be reason enough to have a GPS chip in the unit.

There are a lot of "accessories" that are present in cars but are crippled if you don't pay for them. Something they learned from the videogame industry!

Old 07-25-2014, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
A little late into the discussion, but does the non-nav Display Audio unit set its own clock? Getting the time would be reason enough to have a GPS chip in the unit.

There are a lot of "accessories" that are present in cars but are crippled if you don't pay for them. Something they learned from the videogame industry!
I'm not actually sure. I do recall there being a time zone offset in the clock setup so that would make sense that it does. I'll see if I can play around more later this weekend.

As for crippleware... not just videogames, software in general.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
A little late into the discussion, but does the non-nav Display Audio unit set its own clock? Getting the time would be reason enough to have a GPS chip in the unit
My clock is in perfect sync with the GPS time, so it looks like this is the case.

Originally Posted by mikeygnyc
No. But there is a dedicated analog park signal input on the back of the unit that probably could be forced closed to trick the unit into thinking you're not moving (it's an actual contact closure which is surprising because it looks like nearly all other data to the unit is sent over the CAN bus).
After some testing, it looks like getting HDMI and other features while moving isn't going to be an easy fix. There are pins for the parking brake and reverse, but the features do not work in neutral with the parking break engaged, so neither of those will help. (Maybe this would work on the 6MT model?) I really don't understand how the unit even uses the parking break signal. Everything else is a data bus line that will be pretty much impossible to do anything with.

(In the debug menus, there is a PARK-VIDEO signal that is the same value as PARK, but again, video doesn't work when this is 1 but the vehicle is in Neutral or Drive)

Last edited by Satertek; 07-25-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Satertek
My clock is in perfect sync with the GPS time, so it looks like this is the case.

After looking through the techinfo site, it's looking like HDMI and other features while moving isn't going to be an easy fix. There are only pins for the parking break and reverse, but the features do not work in neutral with the parking break engaged, so neither of those will help. (Maybe this would work on the 6MT model?) I really don't understand how the unit even uses the parking break signal. Everything else is a data bus line that will be pretty much impossible to do anything with.

(In the debug menus, there is a PARK-VIDEO signal that is the same value as PARK, but again, video doesn't work when this is 1 but the vehicle is in Neutral or Drive)
I'll play around with my 6MT tonight and see what I can find. From what I can tell the PARK-VIDEO value is the state of a physical switch in the parking brake and PARK value is generated by some other device on the B-CAN.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm not really interested in disabling the safety lock on the HDMI, but it seems to me that the easiest way to tell whether the vehicle is moving would be to use the hidden GPS gadget that everyone is talking about. I'm not a tech guy, so I don't know if this would work.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
I use to work at cartoys about 6 years ago, at the time they sold aftermarket xm/Sirius tuners that plugged into factory HU and emulated factory equipment.

What I'm getting at is I wonder if there will be an aftermarket tuner that will connect into the factory connector.

I believe it was made by DEI or PIE.

As for the nav on a non-nav sold unit, I still have plenty of friends at Honda as I worked there as a service advisor. I'll try and find out some info from some techs and chat with the parts guys.... should also try and see if my IN.HONDA user/pass still work.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Nice. I found the diagram with part #s listed so it's clearer to read:
XM UNIT/ANTENNA (2) for 2015 Honda FIT
I pulled the glove box out and found there's no existing wire harness for the XM tuner. However, I did peek over at the back of the head unit and the socket is definitely there. I think the part for the wire harness is 39156-T5R-A11 but I'm not positive.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by Anonymoose
I'm not really interested in disabling the safety lock on the HDMI, but it seems to me that the easiest way to tell whether the vehicle is moving would be to use the hidden GPS gadget that everyone is talking about. I'm not a tech guy, so I don't know if this would work.
That would make sense except all the documentation talks about a switch on the parking brake.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:01 AM
Having read this thread right after the thread about Android Auto, I wonder if the system knows when it is moving because it has an accelerometer, which looks from that post to be a requirement of Android Auto. So maybe it is in there so that it would just take a software upgrade to include Android Auto and we 2015 early adopters won't be stuck without it.

Or I am grasping at straws to remain hopeful...

Old 07-27-2014, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by Fit At Last
Having read this thread right after the thread about Android Auto, I wonder if the system knows when it is moving because it has an accelerometer, which looks from that post to be a requirement of Android Auto. So maybe it is in there so that it would just take a software upgrade to include Android Auto and we 2015 early adopters won't be stuck without it.

I doubt you're grasping at straws.

There's an accelerometer (and yaw sensor) in the VSA system which is on one of the CAN buses (I forget which.... probably F-CAN, the higher speed one) and the head unit is also on the CAN buses (both of them in fact), so yes, it's just a software issue at this point. There's very little the head unit can't see being on those buses; it's just a matter of writing software to read that sensor data and make it available to any app.

I would doubt that Android Auto and Carplay wouldn't be supported on any Display Audio system. It seems like perfectly capable hardware that can support any number of frameworks as a new app.

I verified that the GPS antenna/receiver actually appears in all the electrical diagrams on techinfo for the EX trim as well as the EX-L/EX-L Navi trims, so I'm positive it's not a fluke in my car. That's another item that I think points to the Display Audio system as being a (reasonably) open hardware platform for whatever future standards come along.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Fit At Last

An accelerometer on its own won't tell you if you're moving or stationary. It can only tell you that how you're moving is changing (i.e. that you're accelerating, or braking, or changing direction). The GPS would be more reliable for detecting actual motion, though it's not at all foolproof either (such as when driving through tunnels).

The parking brake switch is the usual way for car radios to know to disable functions you aren't supposed to use while in motion (like DVD playback on the dashboard screen). I assume this is because it's available on pretty much any car, it's dead simple to integrate, and (for aftermarket radios, though I doubt any maker will admit it) it's easy to work around.

Besides, there are times when it's perfectly reasonable for a car to be moving but parked and showing DVDs. One could be crossing a body of water on a ferry boat, for instance, or...um...well, that's about the only case I can think of, actually.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Anonymoose
...it seems to me that the easiest way to tell whether the vehicle is moving would be to use the hidden GPS gadget that everyone is talking about.
Nope, because the GPS takes some time to start working after power-up and also does not work in tunnels and parking garages. The designers wouldn't want their gadgets working oddly in situations that are fairly normal to the operation of the car. The parking brake switch is a lot more certain.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Nope, because the GPS takes some time to start working after power-up and also does not work in tunnels and parking garages. The designers wouldn't want their gadgets working oddly in situations that are fairly normal to the operation of the car. The parking brake switch is a lot more certain.
I would question it being the parking brake though because i dont use mine and the hdmi works till I pit it in gear. That seems to say it is somehow related to the transmission selector ( at least on the CVT)

Old 07-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
I would question it being the parking brake though because i dont use mine and the hdmi works till I pit it in gear. That seems to say it is somehow related to the transmission selector ( at least on the CVT)
Probably triggered by the park position on the CVT and the parking brake on the stick. Both pretty much guarantee that the car is stationary and many automatic drivers don't use the parking brake.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Maybe it is a mixture of more than one of these things. I was driving and my passenger was trying to do something (pair their phone, IIRC). Some of the "buttons" were shaded and wouldn't work. When I came to a red light, keeping the car in gear and not putting the brake on, some of those options were unshaded and worked. Others remained shaded. Just to test it, I then put the car in park. All of the buttons were unshaded and pressable. When I accelerated again, those buttons stopped working once again. It seems to be a pretty complicated mosaic of controls to decide what you can do and when.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:09 AM
I doubt you're grasping at straws.

There's an accelerometer (and yaw sensor) in the VSA system which is on one of the CAN buses (I forget which.... probably F-CAN, the higher speed one) and the head unit is also on the CAN buses (both of them in fact), so yes, it's just a software issue at this point. There's very little the head unit can't see being on those buses; it's just a matter of writing software to read that sensor data and make it available to any app.

I would doubt that Android Auto and Carplay wouldn't be supported on any Display Audio system. It seems like perfectly capable hardware that can support any number of frameworks as a new app.

I verified that the GPS antenna/receiver actually appears in all the electrical diagrams on techinfo for the EX trim as well as the EX-L/EX-L Navi trims, so I'm positive it's not a fluke in my car. That's another item that I think points to the Display Audio system as being a (reasonably) open hardware platform for whatever future standards come along.
Dude thanks for the hope of Android Auto. I thought I might have to wait another year to buy a new Fit or buy something else other than a Fit (shudder). You are my hero.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 AM
...I did peek over at the back of the head unit...
Does the head unit have an output for a sub woofer or any video inputs? Are the backup and LaneWatch cameras RCA video cables that can be removed?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Its definitely tied to the shifter on the CVT. While viewing on screen hdmi all you have to do is move lever out of park and it stops. Even without the car running.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Gps

Most newer cars have a (black box) to record driving data......they would
require a gps system in the car....

Old 07-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by crash1st
Most newer cars have a (black box) to record driving data......they would
require a gps system in the car....
The black box logs data from the ECU. A GPS is not involved or required.

Quick Reply: "Secret" GPS on non navi EX models