"Secret" GPS on non navi EX models

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by simonx314
Does the head unit have an output for a sub woofer or any video inputs? Are the backup and LaneWatch cameras RCA video cables that can be removed?
No, they're all multi-position connectors. Audio outs are a couple pins per speaker (other than the tweeters which appear to be fed by a crossover somewhere) on a 24-position connector, video inputs are single pins on a different 24-position connector (each also has a ground for the entire assembly). That said, you could possibly wire an RCA jack onto the multi-position connector.

No additional video inputs besides the HDMI.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
Its definitely tied to the shifter on the CVT. While viewing on screen hdmi all you have to do is move lever out of park and it stops. Even without the car running.
Very possible. On the CVT, the range selector switch is indirectly tied into the unit.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:21 PM
mikeygnyc, Thanks!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikeygnyc
No, they're all multi-position connectors. Audio outs are a couple pins per speaker (other than the tweeters which appear to be fed by a crossover somewhere) on a 24-position connector, video inputs are single pins on a different 24-position connector (each also has a ground for the entire assembly). That said, you could possibly wire an RCA jack onto the multi-position connector.

No additional video inputs besides the HDMI.
Hey that gives me an interesting idea. Since HDMI while driving is out, it might be fun to wire up a AUX RCA port with a switch between it and LaneWatch. That's assuming the LaneWatch is a standard analog video signal and having an RCA port can be in any way useful.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Satertek
Hey that gives me an interesting idea. Since HDMI while driving is out, it might be fun to wire up a AUX RCA port with a switch between it and LaneWatch. That's assuming the LaneWatch is a standard analog video signal and having an RCA port can be in any way useful.
That's exactly what I was thinking would enable my dream to have a left side LaneWatch camera. I still want to mirror Google Maps for Android to the touchscreen, but I don't think the video quality of RCA would be desirable, but for a LaneWatch camera it would be fine.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:06 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking would enable my dream to have a left side LaneWatch camera. I still want to mirror Google Maps for Android to the touchscreen, but I don't think the video quality of RCA would be desirable, but for a LaneWatch camera it would be fine.
That would probably work. Just wire up some kind of selector switch. The only question is whether the existing cam has a digital or analog video signal.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 AM
The black box logs data from the ECU. A GPS is not involved or required.
If that is the case, how does Honda find you if an accident occurs....
I was told this is a feature on new Honda's. Of course I could be
mistaken, I am sure not an expert, just wondering.....

Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Ah, okay. I'm searching the Civic forums still to see if anyone was able to successfully add navi/xm. So far, nothing.

I just installed a Sirius Stratus 7 unit last night and hated how I have wires all over my interior now. If I could use the Honda built-in XM that would be awesome. Looking forward to anything you can share
Where did you put the XM? I got my Fit yesterday, and I'm trying to figure where to put the XM radio.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by crash1st
If that is the case, how does Honda find you if an accident occurs....
I was told this is a feature on new Honda's. Of course I could be
mistaken, I am sure not an expert, just wondering.....
Good point. While the black box does not involve a GPS, the HondaLink emergency call in the event of a collision does say it can locate you, so maybe that does require a GPS. Although, the HondaLink emergency call could also pass your phone's GPS/tower location, just like e911 call centers, but that would be less reliable.

I found this quote, below, in the EX/EX-L technology reference guide. The LX technology reference guide makes no mention of HondaLink or emergency calls, so it makes sense now why all the EX models have a GPS, but the LX does not.

Page 29:
Automatically connect and talk to an operator who can locate your vehicle and request emergency help in the event of a collision.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 AM
here is a link to the picture of the back of the radio.. someone is selling on Ebay if you would like to see the connectors
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Honda-Fit-Radio-Receiver-CD-Player-OEM-39100-T5R-A11-M1-New-Take-Off-/141361691177?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item20e9d03a29&vxp=mtr

Old 07-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Good point. While the black box does not involve a GPS, the HondaLink emergency call in the event of a collision does say it can locate you, so maybe that does require a GPS. Although, the HondaLink emergency call could also pass your phone's GPS/tower location, just like e911 call centers, but that would be less reliable.

I found this quote, below, in the EX/EX-L technology reference guide. The LX technology reference guide makes no mention of HondaLink or emergency calls, so it makes sense now why all the EX models have a GPS, but the LX does not.

Page 29:
Good enough answer for me.....thanx

Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 PM
The black box logs data from the ECU. A GPS is not involved or required.
And to add to that, the black box only records, I think 30 seconds of data that's constantly being overwritten. Mainly stuff like throttle and steering inputs, seatbelt usage and airbag deployment.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:46 PM

Page 29:
I assumed it could only contact help if connected to your phone through Bluetooth and that would provide your location by gps

Last edited by tmfit; 07-30-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:50 PM
This post seems to be the closest or at least most current in talking about the HDMI input and the inability to use 3rd party apps such as Google Maps due to the HDMI being disabled.

I would like to ask a question - Has anyone actually purchased the Nav App from Honda and then tried to start up Google Maps to see if it would work (keeping the Honda Nav app running in the background)? I realize that the two map apps would be in conflict with each other while driving (from an audio standpoint). I am just trying to see if/how the Honda Nav App communicates with the main display unit. I am assuming that the Honda Nav app is sending a command or sequence to the Display unit to enable the display to operate while driving and more importantly, does it transmit something to the display when it is put to background mode on the iPhone. It would be nice if someone could verify this for me. Based on a previous post I read it appeared that someone managed to "unlock" the display or that it entered some "hang" condition that allowed the display to remain unlocked until rest - so my hope was that if you could send the proper unlock sequence it may not matter what app was running.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
Called around to 4 separate Honda service centers regarding my EX-L non-navi 2015 Fit. All gave the same line - they cannot (or would not) replace either the SD card for the non-navi unit with the nav card or fully replace the non-navi unit with a navi unit. Each claimed the unit was tied to the VIN and could not be upgraded. Not sure if this is indeed true (that you can't replace the card - as that seems to be the only difference in the units) - but they were working off the same playbook.

Interested if someone else gets the same or different answer!

Last edited by mitgrube; 08-10-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mitgrube
Called around to 4 separate Honda service centers regarding my EX-L non-navi 2015 Fit. All gave the same line - they cannot (or would not) replace either the SD card for the non-navi unit with the nav card or fully replace the non-navi unit with a navi unit. Each claimed the unit was tied to the VIN and could not be upgraded. Not sure if this is indeed true (that you can't replace the card - as that seems to be the only difference in the units) - but they were working off the same playbook.

Interested if someone else gets the same or different answer!
I believe them. I replaced the radio in a GM car, and I had to pay a dealer $50 to code it to work with the car. The idea is to prevent radio theft.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
The idea is to prevent radio theft.
Sounds more like the idea is to make you pay $50 for something that should cost nothing.

Who in their right mind would steal a stock GM radio?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Sounds more like the idea is to make you pay $50 for something that should cost nothing.

Who in their right mind would steal a stock GM radio?
In my case, I bought a used Buick from a friend, and the radio had a cassette player. I wanted a CD player, so I bought a used one on ebay.

I don't suppose there's a huge market in GM radios.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Compass

I am not really interested in having Honda's built-in Nav software, but I would love to simply have a compass in the display somewhere. I, too, discovered the GPS when I entered the diagnostic mode. But it's not practical to go into the diagnostic mode every time I want to figure out which way I'm headed. I wish Honda would just give us a simple compass. The GPS is present and functioning, so why not give us the cardinal points? This would not inhibit people from buying the Nav version of the car since that goes far, far beyond a simple compass.
I would underline the comment that one should not push the "align lane watch camera" button. I did, and I was sorry. It took me an hour on the internet and an hour fooling around with a home-made target to get the camera back. My distance lines are now incorrect since I didn't have the full instructions or the actual target image, but I don't pay much attention to the lines in any case. There's no going back if you push the align camera button, trust me.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brian Jones
I am not really interested in having Honda's built-in Nav software, but I would love to simply have a compass in the display somewhere. I, too, discovered the GPS when I entered the diagnostic mode. But it's not practical to go into the diagnostic mode every time I want to figure out which way I'm headed. I wish Honda would just give us a simple compass. The GPS is present and functioning, so why not give us the cardinal points? This would not inhibit people from buying the Nav version of the car since that goes far, far beyond a simple compass.
I would underline the comment that one should not push the "align lane watch camera" button. I did, and I was sorry. It took me an hour on the internet and an hour fooling around with a home-made target to get the camera back. My distance lines are now incorrect since I didn't have the full instructions or the actual target image, but I don't pay much attention to the lines in any case. There's no going back if you push the align camera button, trust me.
I had GPS in an add-on Pioneer radio, and it was not as good as Garmin. There are lots of things it would be nice to have, but for $20,000 out the door, we have to take what they give us. For $60,000, I'm sure we would have more things available.

I'm thrilled with the electronics in the Fit EX, and it's nice that they gave us a thermometer. I have a Garmin mount on the dash for when I need a GPS.

Quick Reply: "Secret" GPS on non navi EX models