"Secret" GPS on non navi EX models

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:59 PM
"Secret" GPS on non navi EX models

So I was poking around in diag mode on the Display Audio unit and found that my 6MT EX has a GPS receiver in it. I thought it might be taking the info from my phone so I turned my phone off but it continued updating. The component check also showed "OK" for a GPS antenna (but not for an XM receiver).

Sort of fascinating and probably not anything nefarious. What it probably means is the standard Display Audio units and the Navi units are identical other than software. This would make sense from a production standpoint as it simplifies things. Also considering GPS chipsets are plentiful and cheap now, it probably doesn't add much to the cost of the unit.

Name:  XljWxoK.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  99.2 KB

Having slight issues with the link to the photo. http://imgur.com/XljWxoK is the direct link

(exact location slightly obscured but it was accurate to within 5 feet)

Last edited by mikeygnyc; 07-24-2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: trying to fix photo
Old 07-25-2014, 05:21 AM
If you could get the software and figure out how to load it yoy would be in grat shape. I wonder if ex's have it.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:38 AM
This is intriguing. I wonder if the availability of in car GPS would enable the addition of Android Auto as a software upgrade. See
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1249953

It seems that Android Auto would need an in car GPS

Old 07-25-2014, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
How do you get to this diag mode?

Old 07-25-2014, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Satertek
How do you get to this diag mode?
THIS!!!

Share the secrets!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, this is awesome. Also interested in howto get to this screen and add Navi. I was going to buy a portable GPS unit, but I guess i'll wait for someone to find a part # and add it to their car.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:00 AM
BMO
Originally Posted by mikeygnyc
So I was poking around in diag mode on the Display Audio unit and found that my 6MT EX has a GPS receiver in it.
Interesting!
I'm very curious about future implications for this...

In thinking about it, I wonder if Honda turns the GPS on if it calls 911 from your phone in case of an accident.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Please tell us how to get into the diagnostic menu.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMO
Interesting!
I'm very curious about future implications for this...

In thinking about it, I wonder if Honda turns the GPS on if it calls 911 from your phone in case of an accident.
If you enabled call 911 to automatically send emergency vehicles to your location after a collision, i'm sure it does.

(Default setting is OFF. You need to enable it in the menu).

Old 07-25-2014, 11:18 AM
It would great if you could post the details on how your reached that screen. Although I think that if this is a glitch, Honda will fix it, as they are asking ca$h for navi...

Also, I read that the navi-equipped vehicles also have a modified antenna, to accomodate the GPS antenna. Although, this is more to pay attention to, rather than a problem.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
I'm just googling and shooting in the dark here. But this info may be helpful:

I think I may have found parts required to convert your non-navi EX radio to being Navi-capable. The only thing we need to change, i'm assuming, is the SD Card (Part#: 39107-T5R-A51). Comparing the two parts lists, I believe this is the only part that needs changing. Since the 2014 Civic shares the same unit, I was searching 9thgencivic.com and found another thread where someone thought the same thing. Looks like no one has tried this yet, though.

EX:
http://www.ezhondaparts.com/auto-par...on-system-scat

EX-L w/ Navigation:
http://www.ezhondaparts.com/auto-par...on-system-scat

Unlock Codes for your Radio and Navigation Device:
https://radio-navicode.honda.com/

Last edited by TofuShop; 07-25-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:19 PM
To get in diag mode, turn the car on, be on any screen other than home and hold down power, eject and home at the same time until the screen comes on.

Standard disclaimers apply.

Oh and don't run the aim lanewatch function without having a proper target.

There's actually a bit more info on techinfo.honda.com (which you have to pay for). I don't want to run afoul of their TOS so I'm prohibited from sharing screenshots/diagrams from the site, but I don't think I can't answer questions.

It's a little more detailed than just swapping in an SD card from a Navi unit. The SD cards are married to a VIN and I think they require the HDS tool to perform the actual "marriage" even if you just got the card. It's possible that you could copy the software from a Navi SD card to your "normal" card although that could get dangerous.

From everything else I discovered either in diag or the docs on techinfo (the unit supports Mirrorlink, there's a WiFi direct antenna, there's VNC support), there's no doubt that Carplay and Android Auto should be available as soon as they release the software.

Last edited by mikeygnyc; 07-25-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Do the hidden menus allow you to disable the lockout that prevents some touchscreen features and HDMI video while driving?

Old 07-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by simonx314
Do the hidden menus allow you to disable the lockout that prevents some touchscreen features and HDMI video while driving?
No. But there is a dedicated analog park signal input on the back of the unit that probably could be forced closed to trick the unit into thinking you're not moving (it's an actual contact closure which is surprising because it looks like nearly all other data to the unit is sent over the CAN bus).

Last edited by mikeygnyc; 07-25-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-25-2014, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
It's a little more detailed than just swapping in an SD card from a Navi unit. The SD cards are married to a VIN and I think they require the HDS tool to perform the actual "marriage" even if you just got the card. It's possible that you could copy the software from a Navi SD card to your "normal" card although that could get dangerous.
I figured so much. Was wondering if using the unlock link in my above post would let you marry the two. I need to find a dealer willing to spill the beans or assist in getting in-car Navi to work.

Also, I did not see any additional part#s for an XM antenna, so I wonder if it is already pre-installed? That'd be nice if getting XM enabled was just a software update as well..

Old 07-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by TofuShop
I figured so much. Was wondering if using the unlock link in my above post would let you marry the two. I need to find a dealer willing to spill the beans or assist in getting in-car Navi to work.

Also, I did not see any additional part#s for an XM antenna, so I wonder if it is already pre-installed? That'd be nice if getting XM enabled was just a software update as well..
The unlock codes are actually being phased out. And the only use I know of them was for when you disconnected the battery and the radio locked up. I was reading something about the unit handshaking with some other ECU to unlock the unit.

I'm not sure about the XM unit. The diag mode has a test option for it and I know the tuner lives just behind the glove box. I was actually thinking of playing around this weekend. Disclosure: I work for SXM (not in the hardware dept, and no I can't get anyone free subscriptions) so I'll see if anyone knows what actual part is used.

This is kind of vague on techinfo (no P/Ns), but I know that the tuner uses a 14-pin connector to connect to the headunit plus the standard antenna connector, but I can't tell if the antenna or the wiring harness is pre-installed or not. As I said, it should be just behind the glove box which is an easy to remove item so I'll check it out. Other Hondas use the same connector but I'm not 100% sure the units are the same (and older gen radios won't have all the features or channels of newer units).

Last edited by mikeygnyc; 07-25-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-25-2014, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
The unlock codes are actually being phased out. And the only use I know of them was for when you disconnected the battery and the radio locked up. I was reading something about the unit handshaking with some other ECU to unlock the unit.

I'm not sure about the XM unit. The diag mode has a test option for it and I know the tuner lives just behind the glove box. I was actually thinking of playing around this weekend. Disclosure: I work for SXM (not in the hardware dept, and no I can't get anyone free subscriptions) so I'll see if anyone knows what actual part is used.

This is kind of vague on techinfo (no P/Ns), but I know that the tuner uses a 14-pin connector to connect to the headunit plus the standard antenna connector, but I can't tell if the antenna or the wiring harness is pre-installed or not. As I said, it should be just behind the glove box which is an easy to remove item so I'll check it out. Other Hondas use the same connector but I'm not 100% sure the units are the same (and older gen radios won't have all the features or channels of newer units).
Ah, okay. I'm searching the Civic forums still to see if anyone was able to successfully add navi/xm. So far, nothing.

I just installed a Sirius Stratus 7 unit last night and hated how I have wires all over my interior now. If I could use the Honda built-in XM that would be awesome. Looking forward to anything you can share

Old 07-25-2014, 02:22 PM
OEM part# for the 2015 XM tuner is 39820-T5R-A01. Looks like the antenna and feeder assembly is different and is an integrated AM/FM/XM antenna (broader base has the XM antenna portion in it). However, if you didn't want to run a new cable for the antenna all the way back (it's major surgery, it requires headliner removal which requires careful work around airbag components), you could possibly do something like this:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...o_AII50509.pdf

...at least for the antenna portion.

If you do want to run the new antenna, the parts are all shown on Bernardi (Electrical/Exhaust/Heater page, "Antenna(2)" page). You'd need the antenna 39151-T5R-306, 39152-T5R-A11, and 39153-TA0-A02, the feeder cable 39160-T5R-A31 and possibly clip 91533-SWA-003

Last edited by mikeygnyc; 07-25-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: add'l info.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Nice. I found the diagram with part #s listed so it's clearer to read:
XM UNIT/ANTENNA (2) for 2015 Honda FIT

Old 07-25-2014, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
To get in diag mode, turn the car on, be on any screen other than home and hold down power, eject and home at the same time until the screen comes on.

Standard disclaimers apply.

Oh and don't run the aim lanewatch function without having a proper target.

There's actually a bit more info on techinfo.honda.com (which you have to pay for). I don't want to run afoul of their TOS so I'm prohibited from sharing screenshots/diagrams from the site, but I don't think I can't answer questions.
Awesome. I think tomorrow I'll do a 1 day sub to the techinfo site and see if I can get instructions that will get me to the back of the touchscreen and the pin-outs so that I can try to disable the "safety" features. (Which I find much more distracting than if the unit actually just functioned all the time) I'll make a post if I'm successful.

Quick Reply: "Secret" GPS on non navi EX models