Using Bluetooth directions in radio through Google Maps

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Using Bluetooth directions in radio through Google Maps

Bought my 2015 LX steel metallic 6 speed yesterday. Now own a 2007 and 2015.

Question - the dealer said I can using my Google Maps (Android) directions through the stereos Bluetooth for sound only directions and I can't seem to make it work. Any thoughts would be great.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by JasonFIT
Bought my 2015 LX steel metallic 6 speed yesterday. Now own a 2007 and 2015.

Question - the dealer said I can using my Google Maps (Android) directions through the stereos Bluetooth for sound only directions and I can't seem to make it work. Any thoughts would be great.
Sync the phone via bluetooth and start up Google maps navigation, make sure voice guidance is not muted and you are good to go.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
... and this should be obvious, but make sure the car's input is set to "Bluetooth".

Old 09-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by chrisjones
... and this should be obvious, but make sure the car's input is set to "Bluetooth".
Didn't realize the input would have to be set to Bluetooth 😃. Will test tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Didn't realize the input would have to be set to Bluetooth 😃. Will test tomorrow. Thanks.
If you were wanting to listen to music at the same time, you'd probably better have something on your phone -- Pandora, Google Music, Spotify, mp3 files, whatever. You won't be able to hear the bluetooth feed and the car's FM/AM radio simultaneously. I've only missed having my satellite radio on, but because I'm listening to podcasts 90% of the time, it works out more often than not.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Got it working. Thanks for the tip to select Bluetooth as source. Pretty cool. Now to see if my 2007 Fit with aftermarket JVC stereo will do same. 😉

Old 09-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Got it working. Thanks for the tip to select Bluetooth as source. Pretty cool. Now to see if my 2007 Fit with aftermarket JVC stereo will do same. 😉
If you want radio at the same time as directions some phones have a FM receiver built in and you just need to download an app to do it (google if you phone is capable). Or there are a few apps that will stream many radio stations from across the country over the internet, I think "I heart radio" will do many of them.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
I'm synched for phone calls, but my Android phone will only give the first step audibly and then I can't get it to talk once the car is moving.

I usually just print out directions and carry a map.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hellgiver
If you want radio at the same time as directions some phones have a FM receiver built in and you just need to download an app to do it (google if you phone is capable). Or there are a few apps that will stream many radio stations from across the country over the internet, I think "I heart radio" will do many of them.
Unfortunately, an FM receiver is pretty rare in phones though a small number do actually have one. However, your recommendation of "I Heart Radio" is a good one. A couple of others are TuneIn Radio and XiiaLive. Possibly others, but I've used these two and I Heart Radio.

The warning needs to be stated that if you don't have unlimited data you will need to monitor your usage and be careful not to go over. Streaming audio can crank up the data usage.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
I'm synched for phone calls, but my Android phone will only give the first step audibly and then I can't get it to talk once the car is moving.

I usually just print out directions and carry a map.
Very strange. You've paired the bluetooth, confirmed that the bluetooth connection is active, set the car's system to Bluetooth input, and this is what you're getting?

I'd recommend trying to completely delete the pairing from both sides (car and phone), reboot the phone, and redo the pairing. Check your phone's bluetooth settings once paired to ensure that it is set to allow "media" as well as pretty much any other bluetooth features that can be enabled.